2019 Neuroscience PhD Applicants and Admission Results

veldter

12 hours ago, zzzz233 said:

By any chance, is there anyone here has a skype interview scheduled for next Tuesday with Weill Cornell Neuroscience?

They haven't sent out any schedules or anything... I'm very concerned....

You won't be getting a schedule until you arrive for most interviews. 

32 minutes ago, BabyScientist said:

You won't be getting a schedule until you arrive for most interviews. 

Mmmm I see..... Well but for Skpye interviews I think they should at least let me know when I should get up lol...

14 hours ago, BabyScientist said:

Oh they haven't even give you a start time? I'd send an email to check in

I've sent 3 e-mails and called.. No reply and didn't pick up the phone.. I know it's a holiday today but still... Well, not sure if this Skype interview thing will still happen or not tomorrow.. 

On 1/17/2019 at 2:25 PM, sunnyyiu627 said:

did anyone here apply to Oxford? Have you heard from them?

Just heard from the Oxford Wellcome Trust 4-year Programme today! I'm interviewing on Jan. 31. It'll be a 10-minute presentation about my research, followed by 20 minutes of discussion with a panel of faculty. They will reimburse me up to £500 in travel expenses to and from the UK.

Aaaaahhh, I'm so excited!!! This is my dream program!

On 1/18/2019 at 6:02 PM, 1.21_Gigawatts said:

I have to be honest, I'm pretty frustrated with my experience so far. I have 4 years of full-time experience, over 20 publications, 4.0 in my MS, 3.0 undergrad GPA, strong letters of recommendation and lots of teaching/ presentation experience but I keep receiving rejections. So far only 1 interview and 7 rejections... I'm still waiting to hear from 5 more schools, but I'm starting to feel pretty discouraged and confused. Anybody else in the same boat?

I'm in a similar boat. Your best bet is to reach out to some of your schools and find out why all the rejections. I emailed one school so far and they gave me a fairly solid breakdown on why I haven't had much success.

21 hours ago, Raindrop said:

I'm in a similar boat. Your best bet is to reach out to some of your schools and find out why all the rejections. I emailed one school so far and they gave me a fairly solid breakdown on why I haven't had much success.

How do you phrase that email? I'm thinking about doing the same once I receive official rejections, but I'm not really sure how to phrase it without sounding whiny about not getting in. ?

Just now, round2_ said:

How do you phrase that email? I'm thinking about doing the same once I receive official rejections, but I'm not really sure how to phrase it without sounding whiny about not getting in. ?

I would say something along the lines of "although I'm disappointed, I hope to learn from the experience and improve my chances in the future.  If you have any advice on why I was rejected and how to improve, I would be grateful to hear it"

1 hour ago, round2_ said:

I said  something along the lines of, "I recognize this is a busy time for the neuroscience department, but I was wondering if at some point in the future I could receive some feedback on my application and perhaps some insight into what I can do to improve on it for next year."

On 1/11/2019 at 9:55 AM, neuroamf said:

Has anyone applied to Emory and if so, have you heard anything from them?

I applied, haven't heard anything either...assuming rejection TBH

Edited by ellamarie123

On 1/20/2019 at 7:00 PM, sauvezleschats said:

Thanks for the info! Hopefully you'll be able to get home! However, it looks like you applied to the Brain & Cognitive Sciences department, which is separate from Neuro, if I'm correct.

This is terribly embarrassing, but I managed to apply and interview without realizing they were separate programs. I am being considered for the neuroscience PhD through the medical school and the DelMonte Institute of Neuroscience.

7 minutes ago, lil13 said:

Anyone heard from BU GPN yet? I know they like to release really late and also got over 500 applicants this year but it's starting to get get quite late in the app season...

Thanks!

Also waiting... last year they gave interview invites the week of Jan 22-26 so if we made the cut we should hear soon!

On 1/23/2019 at 2:08 PM, fearfulocelot said:

This is terribly embarrassing, but I managed to apply and interview without realizing they were separate programs. I am being considered for the neuroscience PhD through the medical school and the DelMonte Institute of Neuroscience.

I just got an invitation for a Skype interview! Interesting because I thought the interview session ended for U of Rochester.... But happy nonetheless! I am a domestic student currently based abroad.

On 1/17/2019 at 9:37 PM, yash13177 said:

Hi everyone! Anyone know if University of Rochester is done sending out invites? I connected with them at SfN and even had a lovely skype with one of the faculty... I was hoping for an interview but no word yet... I see in the results some interviews went out. Anyone got any info?

Hey! I haven't heard anything from them either! If you do happen to know if they're done sending interview invites or will send few more anytime soon, please do let me know :)

On 1/19/2019 at 3:17 PM, fearfulocelot said:

Currently at the first interview for Rochester (and stuck here, it's snowing quite hard, but that's another story) and it seems like they've finalized the interview list, sorry! 16 people in the first interview and 19 in the second interview. 

How was the interview? Did they happen to mention how many they plan on accepting?

7 hours ago, Madhattress said:

Hey! I haven't heard anything from them either! If you do happen to know if they're done sending interview invites or will send few more anytime soon, please do let me know :)

6 hours ago, Keephope said:

How was the interview? Did they happen to mention how many they plan on accepting?

Hi! Well I guess I was on the waitlist! I received an invitation to skype. When I emailed them back accepting (and also letting them know of my flight plans to the states) they invited me to the in-person interview!

3 hours ago, yash13177 said:

Hi! Well I guess I was on the waitlist! I received an invitation to skype. When I emailed them back accepting (and also letting them know of my flight plans to the states) they invited me to the in-person interview!

Congrats that’s so exciting! Are you going to be interviewing February 7 - 9? I hope I see you there! ?

1 hour ago, Keephope said:

Congrats that’s so exciting! Are you going to be interviewing February 7 - 9? I hope I see you there! ?

Yes that's exactly it!!! Wahoo!! Congrats fellow applicant! :) Feel free to PM me if you wanna be interview buds~