2019 Neuroscience PhD Applicants and Admission Results

veldter

2 minutes ago, earsnbrains said:

thanks! So i got a reply from the admissions director

what i said in my email: "I also applied to CNAP, and was wondering if there was any coordination in the admissions/interview process between the two programs. Would it be best to wait until I (potentially) hear back from them before committing to the Neurobio interview weekend for any reason? I'm sure its relatively common to apply to both programs, so please let me know if you have any more information about what applicants in similar situations have done in the past."

the reply: "I will check in with CNAP to see where your application stands with them. In the meantime, please proceed with scheduling your visit with LaDonna. I look forward to meeting you in January."

So yes, its separate invites with separate weekends. I'll let you know if i get more info from him once he talks to CNAP. good luck!

I see!!! Thank you a lot for your information!!! Good luck with everything!!

1 hour ago, EricKenjiLee said:

Oops sorry everyone. I don't know for sure that they are done sending out interview requests but I just moved them because I know they sent out interviews (at least the first/second rounds). They are crossed off in my mind :)

UCSF is done sending out interview invites...?? :(

1 hour ago, dantesyan said:

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for all the information from this topic!!! I'm a freshman here and I'm apply for neuroscience phd 2019 fall.

My list is here: UW(Neuroscience), Stanford(Psychology), Columbia(Neurobiology and Behavior), Harvard(PiN), Caltech(CNS)

UW and Stanford's deadlines have passed long~ time ago. Does Anyone get info from these programs?

I would appreciate it if I can get some notifications!

Thank you very much!

Hey just messaged you some info on the UW program! Anyone else seeing this can PM me for info too

Edited by EricKenjiLee

I'm a psychology student without much experience with neuroscience and I just received Duke CNAP interviw invitation. But I don't know the exact interview date as I'm an international student so they said in the email that they'll try to set a few skype interviews for me in January. I found that someone has posted interview invites from MIT, which makes me feel a little freak out. Would you mind sharing what division are you applying to? Cognitive Science or Systems Neuroscience? I'm applying to cognitive science and wish there's still a chance. 

4 hours ago, earsnbrains said:

no Penn interview which im super bummed about but just as I was starting to wallow i got a Duke Neurobio interview (Jan 24-26) so the PhD gods must've known I needed good news :) 

Hi! Congrats! I was wondering if you know if Duke neurobio is done sending out invites? I was really hoping for this one. Thanks!

Hey everyone, you're probably as stressed as I am so I'll pass on advice that has been given to me (repeatedly) by my loved ones: stop checking this thread over the weekend. Schools will resume sending out invites on Monday. Give your mind a break!

31 minutes ago, Compneuronerd said:

Hi! Congrats! I was wondering if you know if Duke neurobio is done sending out invites? I was really hoping for this one. Thanks!

Thank you! I'm really not sure, sorry! They asked for me to email back to organize interview weekend travel plans by the 18th if thats any indication? The email said "placing you in a highly select group of interviewees from more than two hundred candidates" so maybe they sent out priority interview invites (please dont take that the wrong way, see below*) first and are waiting to see who accepts the invite from that group to send out a second round? I have no idea though. From what i can gather from gradcafe results, in some years they've sent out more than 1 wave of interview invites and in others they haven't so your guess is as good as mine.

*if it makes you feel any better, I wrote my honors thesis on the representation of eye movement cues and theres like, 4 PIs (including someone who was in the same PhD lab as my undergrad thesis advisor, they're still super close) there that study eye movement cues which is crazy niche so if there is some sort of "priority invite round" system that's probably why i was in it since my background fit so unusually well. Don't get discouraged!

Edited by earsnbrains

59 minutes ago, earsnbrains said:

Thank you! I'm really not sure, sorry! They asked for me to email back to organize interview weekend travel plans by the 18th if thats any indication? The email said "placing you in a highly select group of interviewees from more than two hundred candidates" so maybe they sent out priority interview invites (please dont take that the wrong way, see below*) first and are waiting to see who accepts the invite from that group to send out a second round? I have no idea though. From what i can gather from gradcafe results, in some years they've sent out more than 1 wave of interview invites and in others they haven't so your guess is as good as mine.

*if it makes you feel any better, I wrote my honors thesis on the representation of eye movement cues and theres like, 4 PIs (including someone who was in the same PhD lab as my undergrad thesis advisor, they're still super close) there that study eye movement cues which is crazy niche so if there is some sort of "priority invite round" system that's probably why i was in it since my background fit so unusually well. Don't get discouraged!

Thanks a lot! I actually work in a lab at Duke and would love to continue working here. As you can guess, i thought/think I had the best chance here and I am now worried about all of my applications! I will check in the office on Monday to see if they are done sending the invitations. Thanks again!

2 hours ago, Compneuronerd said:

Thanks a lot! I actually work in a lab at Duke and would love to continue working here. As you can guess, i thought/think I had the best chance here and I am now worried about all of my applications! I will check in the office on Monday to see if they are done sending the invitations. Thanks again!

You shouldn’t be discouraged if you haven’t heard from your home institution: a ton of my friends got denied admission where they were working because they wanted their students to explore the field but it’s nothing personal! They want their students to not fall back into just being a research tech

5 hours ago, neuroamf said:

I got an interview at Baylor. Does anyone have any idea of what percentage of interviewees are accepted (either at Baylor or generally speaking)?

Lol god damnit I saw either you or someone else post they got an interview from BU and I thought it meant Boston University so I was freaking out for the past hour. This is what I deserve for returning to this god-forsaken place on the weekend

47 minutes ago, kaneki_ken said:

Did anyone hear from UCSF after Thursday? Or do anyone know whether they usually has multiple waves of invitations? I guess I'm rejected though. 

I'm assuming you mean neuro? I just heard back from their BMS program. Surprised that they would send results on a Saturday.

You can always email them to ask. So far admissions reps have been very helpful and willing to answer questions.

45 minutes ago, maya123z said:

Anyone know when UCSD is interviewing?

I think it's sometime around second week of January from what I read in some of the previous posts here.

https://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=ucsd*+cognitive+sciences&t=a&o=&pp=25

Edit: This is for the Cognitive Sciences program.

Edited by dexter9543

1 hour ago, dexter9543 said:

I think it's sometime around second week of January from what I read in some of the previous posts here.

https://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=ucsd*+cognitive+sciences&t=a&o=&pp=25

Edit: This is for the Cognitive Sciences program.

Ah I see, I applied to Neuro and BMS. The timing of their interviews seems to vary a good amount year to year.