Jump to content
veldter

2019 Neuroscience PhD Applicants and Admission Results

Recommended Posts

15 hours ago, shouldhavedone said:
 
  • For those of you that applied to the BEHAVIORAL NEUROSCIENCE program at OHSU!!! Can you PLEASE TELL ME whether you received this letter from them around Nov 26th?? I’ve not heard anything yet from OHSU, but is this a good sign that I got this?
  • Or is this a generic email?
  • Please let me know!!! IM DYING WITH ANTICIPATION!
  •  
  •  
  • Dear Myname,
  • We have received your application for the 2019/20 academic year.
  • Thank you,
  • Our Admissions Committee will soon begin deliberations to determine interviewees. We anticipate completing these deliberations by December 21, 2018 and plan on a single interview date of Friday February 22, 2019. Interviewees arrive on Thursday February 21 and depart on Sunday February 24. We now request that you hold these dates open. We will make interview offers in late December.
  • If you are unable to come for an interview, your chance of being admitted to our graduate program may be reduced. Thanks again and please call or email if you have any questions.

I didn't apply to Behavioral Neuro, I applied to the Vollum/NGP, and I didn't receive this email... but I was invited on Monday to interview with Behavioral Neuro. I also didn't receive this email, but that may just be because I applied through a different department.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/15/2018 at 7:57 AM, vlm said:

Got interview invites for February from Caltech CNS and UCSF Neuroscience, by email this past week!

By chance, did you go through an online interview for Caltech before getting this invitation? and did it seem like all options from BBE would be interviewing the same weekend?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, k8e said:

I didn't apply to Behavioral Neuro, I applied to the Vollum/NGP, and I didn't receive this email... but I was invited on Monday to interview with Behavioral Neuro. I also didn't receive this email, but that may just be because I applied through a different department.

How many publications do you have? Do you mind posting your stats? I've heard nothing from OHSU yet. 1 publication in press, 1 under review, 1 in preparation. Master's (2nd: gpa 3.85 (health promotion sci.); 1st master's GPA was 3.76 (nutrition); undergraduate gpa 3.14 overall (in nutrition), did not submit GRE's to OHSU (waived), 2.5 years graduate research experience. Just received news of my first publication last week!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, aspiringscientist said:

By chance, did you go through an online interview for Caltech before getting this invitation? and did it seem like all options from BBE would be interviewing the same weekend?

No, I didn't go through an online interview for Caltech! Just an email for interview Feb 7-9. What is BBE? The Caltech Neurobio program is interviewing the same weekend

 

Edited by vlm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, zzzz233 said:

I'm interested in psychiatric disorders. I hope to incorporate more computational methods to redefine these disorders, and am interested in individual differences and precision medicine. 

Our interests are super similar! What schools did you apply to?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, vlm said:

No, I didn't go through an online interview for Caltech! Just an email for interview Feb 7-9. What is BBE? The Caltech Neurobio program is interviewing the same weekend

 

BBE is the Biology and Bioengineering Department. The Biology, CNS, Biophyics, and Neurobiology progrmas are all run through that department

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bkim346 said:

Does anyone know the interview dates for UCLA?

looks like they started sending out interviews from the results page and the dates are feb 3-4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, shouldhavedone said:

How many publications do you have? Do you mind posting your stats? I've heard nothing from OHSU yet. 1 publication in press, 1 under review, 1 in preparation. Master's (2nd: gpa 3.85 (health promotion sci.); 1st master's GPA was 3.76 (nutrition); undergraduate gpa 3.14 overall (in nutrition), did not submit GRE's to OHSU (waived), 2.5 years graduate research experience. Just received news of my first publication last week!

no publications. im applying straight out of undergrad, have been doing research in neuro since freshman year and done 2 full-time summer research programs at other schools. 3 reccs from pretty well-known PIs I've done research with, undergrad GPA of 3.8, GRE scores were good, and  >10 poster presentations, two at SfN. That's my stats, although I don't see the point comparing - everyone has such different experiences! I dont know if it's worthwhile.

Edited by k8e

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, k8e said:

no publications. im applying straight out of undergrad, have been doing research in neuro since freshman year and done 2 full-time summer research programs at other schools. 3 reccs from pretty well-known PIs I've done research with, undergrad GPA of 3.8, GRE scores were good, and  >10 poster presentations, two at SfN. That's my stats, although I don't see the point comparing - everyone has such different experiences! I dont know if it's worthwhile.

oh yeah, did 4 posters. will do another one in May. Whats your #1 choice?? for school

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, shouldhavedone said:

oh yeah, did 4 posters. will do another one in May. Whats your #1 choice?? for school

I'm not sure! Everywhere I applied is somewhere I'd be ecstatic to go, and I have a lot of investigating to do on interviews to really nail down a top choice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, k8e said:

I'm not sure! Everywhere I applied is somewhere I'd be ecstatic to go, and I have a lot of investigating to do on interviews to really nail down a top choice.

Yeah but wouldn't living in Pennsylvania kinda suck? UPenn's in a crap location. lol. what is your research interest? mines in learning/memory, food intake and addiction!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, shouldhavedone said:

Yeah but wouldn't living in Pennsylvania kinda suck? UPenn's in a crap location. lol. what is your research interest? mines in learning/memory, food intake and addiction!

 

I'm from around philadelphia, and I would love to be at a fantastic school like Penn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, k8e said:

I'm from around philadelphia, and I would love to be at a fantastic school like Penn.

Yeah I actually really enjoyed Philly when I visited. Pretty low COL and lots of biotech/pharma in the area if you're looking for jobs afterward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, k8e said:

I'm from around philadelphia, and I would love to be at a fantastic school like Penn.

I lived by Philly too. Hated it.

But I also lived in Louisiana, South Dakota, Connecticut, Iowa, and Montana lol

Edited by shouldhavedone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, shouldhavedone said:

Phillys rather crime ridden n expensive

Compared to where a lot of other top schools are (Boston, SF, SD) Philly is very cheap. I agree with you on the high crime rate though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, skippinglives said:

Our interests are super similar! What schools did you apply to?

Hey! I listed the schools I applied to in my signature. What about you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bkim346 said:

Does anyone know the interview dates for UCLA?

If you're asking about the program in neuroscience, the interviews are going to be Feb 24th and 25th

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, neuranxiety said:

Does anyone know if NYU Neuro is over?

Not sure,  but I think most results have been for neuroscience and physiology.  Not neural science. Hoping for both our sakes that it's not over :)

Edited by Scrappyhappy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Scrappyhappy said:

For a change of topic while we wait...

What area of research and techniques are you guys interested in? 

I primarily am interested in simulations of Systems of neurons and detecting patterns that arise

I'm interested in the interplay between neural circuits and behavior, and I want to focus more on how these circuits are transformed in disease states like schizophrenia, but I want to keep an open mind for grad school.  Your research interests sound very interesting which schools did you apply to?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.