Fall 2019 Developmental Psychology Thread

DevelopingThoughts

Dev psych never gets any love even though we’re objectively the best speciality. My undergrad mentor always told me people think they’re clinical until they find out about dev psych haha 

We don’t have a thread let’s make one!

Edited by DevelopingThoughts

12 hours ago, DevelopingThoughts said:

Also it’s pretty well known in Dev Psych that most programs don’t interview - that is if you get invited to campus you’re basically in!

Such a stark contrast to clinical psych you must feel bad for them haha

i would actually prefer for them to interview me! it gives you one more opportunity to "make your case" instead of just on paper. i feel that i do a better job selling myself in person. 

14 hours ago, DevelopingThoughts said:

Also it’s pretty well known in Dev Psych that most programs don’t interview - that is if you get invited to campus you’re basically in!

Such a stark contrast to clinical psych you must feel bad for them haha

Not to scare y'all but this is not necessarily true; last year, I applied to 7 Clinical Programs and 1 Dev Program -- the 1 Dev Program did pay to fly me to campus and interview, and I ended up not getting in (it wasn't the best fit). So it does happen!

And yes, it was absolutely crushing. And yes, it was also totally fueling. ?

did all of you speak to POIs prior to applying? 

i spoke to several POIs either over the phone/skype and i dont know if its common for them to ask for another phone/skype call before making a decision. i'm nervous as other people are already getting notice for an interview...

I contacted most of my POIs before applying, and all but one responded. The one that didn't updated her profile that she wasn't taking a new student soon after, so I'm not upset about it.

3 hours ago, DevelopingThoughts said:

I should preface that every school except for Yale I applied to POIs responded to my emails so they probably were looking for my app

When did you submit your applications? Did you get an email from Yale saying that your application is under review? I haven't received anything from Yale, but I am not sure if it because they auto-reject me or they haven't opened my application yet. 

51 minutes ago, Sophie Su said:

When did you submit your applications? Did you get an email from Yale saying that your application is under review? I haven't received anything from Yale, but I am not sure if it because they auto-reject me or they haven't opened my application yet. 

I submitted all my applications before Thanksgiving 

I didnt get an email. The PI said that they expect to give out formal decisions before XMas so we have some time 

2 hours ago, ResilientDreams said:

Why is the social psych thread so much more active than ours?!!!!

I was thinking this too -- same with the clinical programs. They move FAST. I haven't seen much activity in the results, so I am assuming dev program POIs are still working their way through apps -- which is reasonable considering most deadlines were only 6 days ago. I have only heard from 1/9 programs (prelim phone call with POI at UNC Greensboro).

Submitted all 14 apps a few days ago but still haven't heard anything about interviews. Start to worry about I'll be rejected by everywhere. In addition, as an international applicant I just booked a flight to US yesterday though I'm not sure whether I'll get any interview.  But I have to do so as the flight will get really expensive or even out of sell if I book it after I get any formal interviews. I really don't want to stay in US for a month and end up getting 0 interview. Hopefully it will not happen :(

4 hours ago, Yiyu Liu said:

Submitted all 14 apps a few days ago but still haven't heard anything about interviews. Start to worry about I'll be rejected by everywhere. In addition, as an international applicant I just booked a flight to US yesterday though I'm not sure whether I'll get any interview.  But I have to do so as the flight will get really expensive or even out of sell if I book it after I get any formal interviews. I really don't want to stay in US for a month and end up getting 0 interview. Hopefully it will not happen :(

Wow you are COMMITTED! I hope you get all the interviews :')

Got my first email for a Skype interview today!!! It was so unexpected (It hasn’t even crossed my mind today). 

Any advice on how to prep? Ive spoken to many POIs prior to application but I feel a little more nervous now because I get the impression that this is a bit more official. 

Edited by pgt2018