Fall 2019 Developmental Psychology Thread

DevelopingThoughts

19 minutes ago, Psyhopeful said:

Didn’t UCSB push their deadline back? I applied to a different department there and they had extended the deadline to January I think because of the fires. 

I don’t think the psych department did. I already received an interview 

I think I shouldn't expect anything good happen to me anymore. Maybe I should just plan to apply again next year. After a good talk with a PI from NYU, she asked the committee on weekend and they said they won't invite me for a campus interview because of the research fit. I have tons of experience with cognitive development and they still think I'm not a good fit to the program. But I applied to Duke Neuroscience program with less than two months of experience with neuroscience and was still invited for a formal campus interview. For no reason I could understand. Is the application process totally random? I applied to 14 programs and only offered formal interview invitation at one currently. Also the other interviewees at Duke all have tons of experience with neuroscience. I'll try my best but personally I don't think I stand a good chance. I know I shouldn't get upset that early but sometimes I just couldn't control this feeling. It is still 3 months before I would know whether I'll be accepted into any of these programs. I can't imagine stay stressful for another 3 months. Wish you all the best in this process guys......

@Yiyu Liu I am not applying developmental but have been following the thread because it is more relevant to me than social or clinical. Even though I don't know you or your whole application, I have confidence that you are going to get in somewhere because you have already received an interview! Getting an interview is a great sign. There is a good chance that you will be accepted to a program if you have been invited for an in-person interview. 

https://serialmentor.com/blog/2014/1/14/understanding-the-graduate-school-interview-or-recruitment-event

Also, the neuroscience programs seem to be in a race to send out interview invites first, while the psych ones are going to trickle in more slowly, so keep your head up. You got this! 

Also, did you get the email from MIT? I think it was sent to everyone. Don't count yourself out for anything until it is official. 

22 hours ago, DevSci said:

Hi all, just got a call from POI extending interview (Feb 15) at George Mason University -- anyone else apply here?

Congrats!!! Who's your PI? I'm a current Masters ADP student at George Mason

7 hours ago, Yiyu Liu said:

I think I shouldn't expect anything good happen to me anymore. Maybe I should just plan to apply again next year. After a good talk with a PI from NYU, she asked the committee on weekend and they said they won't invite me for a campus interview because of the research fit. I have tons of experience with cognitive development and they still think I'm not a good fit to the program. But I applied to Duke Neuroscience program with less than two months of experience with neuroscience and was still invited for a formal campus interview. For no reason I could understand. Is the application process totally random? I applied to 14 programs and only offered formal interview invitation at one currently. Also the other interviewees at Duke all have tons of experience with neuroscience. I'll try my best but personally I don't think I stand a good chance. I know I shouldn't get upset that early but sometimes I just couldn't control this feeling. It is still 3 months before I would know whether I'll be accepted into any of these programs. I can't imagine stay stressful for another 3 months. Wish you all the best in this process guys......

Mind if you PM me your POI at NYU?

7 hours ago, Yiyu Liu said:

Who is your POI at Duke?

On 12/18/2018 at 8:47 AM, s1147 said:

I did and mine says complete. I'm an international applicant so I asked administration at my university to send my transcript (unofficial though as I am still in my final year) in the post to arrive by December 1st. 

I also applied for the Knight-Hennessy Scholarship for Stanford and based on the information I received whilst applying for that, Stanford seems to wait until mid-January before sending anything out

Do you know if we still have to interview for our PhD program at Stanford if we're offered the Knight-Hennessy? Or are we automatically accepted?

1 hour ago, maya123z said:

Do you know if we still have to interview for our PhD program at Stanford if we're offered the Knight-Hennessy? Or are we automatically accepted?

I imagine we still have to interview for the PhD program as the interviews seem to happen around the same time as the immersion weekend for Knight-Hennessy. Also, it seems like the two processes are quite separate until the end stage of review. I'm mostly guessing though as it doesn't seem to say anywhere specifically. 

27 minutes ago, s1147 said:

I imagine we still have to interview for the PhD program as the interviews seem to happen around the same time as the immersion weekend for Knight-Hennessy. Also, it seems like the two processes are quite separate until the end stage of review. I'm mostly guessing though as it doesn't seem to say anywhere specifically. 

Yeah it's a bit unclear because the KH winners are announced in mid-Febuary, but my program (Neuro) doesn't interview until late Feb.

7 minutes ago, maya123z said:

Yeah it's a bit unclear because the KH winners are announced in mid-Febuary, but my program (Neuro) doesn't interview until late Feb.

Ah yeah, that definitely does make it even more unclear. From previous years, it seems like the psychology department emails for interviews around the same time as announcements for KHS. I do remember them saying during one of the information sessions that your application to the department has to standalone without considering the scholarship but I don't know how that can work with those dates though. Best of luck with it! 

It looks like the University of Michigan sent out interview invites this week last year. Has anyone heard? I saw a post that said they had over 700 applicants in the results thread ? but it wasn’t clear if that was one department or all of psychology.

Hello! New to this website, but I thought I’d share my current interview updates: I have interviews for the developmental programs at Missouri (Jan 25), UT Dallas (Jan 31-Feb 1), GMU (Feb 15), ASU (preliminary phone interview), and Notre Dame.

I also applied to University of Minnesota’s Child Psychology program, Developmental Science Track; has anyone heard anything from this program? They only have info on the accepted students weekend on their website— but they don’t say anything about interviewing. Also applied to Georgetown’s PhD in Psychology, concentration in human development: anyone hear anything from them? Any info would be most welcome! :)

18 hours ago, StatsAddict said:

Hello! New to this website, but I thought I’d share my current interview updates: I have interviews for the developmental programs at Missouri (Jan 25), UT Dallas (Jan 31-Feb 1), GMU (Feb 15), ASU (preliminary phone interview), and Notre Dame.

I also applied to University of Minnesota’s Child Psychology program, Developmental Science Track; has anyone heard anything from this program? They only have info on the accepted students weekend on their website— but they don’t say anything about interviewing. Also applied to Georgetown’s PhD in Psychology, concentration in human development: anyone hear anything from them? Any info would be most welcome! :)

Is that Missouri state or Mizzou? I ask because Mizzou is my second choice and I haven't heard anything from them yet. 

Question time!! 

I've received an interview offer with Tufts! This is my second interview offer so far, and I'm pretty sure I'll accept. It's a solid middle choice for me, probably #5 out of 8 that I applied to. For the interview, they requested that I list 3-4 PIs that I want to interview with while I'm there. I only listed 2 PIs that I'm interested in on my application and those two are the ones I intended to work with, there is a 3rd that is a very loose fit with my interests, but I honestly don't know much about her and I would need to do some extra research before the interview (I have time). Should I list all three because I'm there anyway and why not, or just the two because 1) I only listed two in my application and 2) Interviewing with the third member has a high potential to be a waste of both of our time.

is it safe to assume that i won't be receiving an interview invite from UCLA at this point? seems that many of the developmental POIs have extended their interview invitations (and i heard elsewhere that the committee had voted on who to invite). i dont know if i should still holding on to hope or start setting my expectation elsewhere...