Fall 2019 Developmental Psychology Thread

DevelopingThoughts

8 minutes ago, pgt2018 said:

Got my first email for a Skype interview today!!! It was so unexpected (It hasn’t even crossed my mind today). 

Any advice on how to prep? Ive spoken to many POIs prior to application but I feel a little more nervous now because I get the impression that this is a bit more official. 

Which school was it for?

1 hour ago, pgt2018 said:

Got my first email for a Skype interview today!!! It was so unexpected (It hasn’t even crossed my mind today). 

Any advice on how to prep? Ive spoken to many POIs prior to application but I feel a little more nervous now because I get the impression that this is a bit more official. 

Congratulations! It is definitely more official, so while exciting -- it can totally be intimidating and anxiety-provoking. Here are some resources: 

In general, your POI will probably ask about your past research experiences (be prepared by writing up a summary of a specific project you worked on -- the goal of the project, the theoretical rationale, the hypotheses, results, implications), your interests & how well they “fit” with their own research, your future career goals (where you see yourself in 5, 10, 15 years), and what brought you to their program (program strengths, POI interest and research direction, etc.). You should definitely plan to have questions FOR YOUR POI prepped as well. The first link above has some good ones you can modify to your heart's desire.

Good luck!!

6 minutes ago, Yiyu Liu said:

Today is my birthday and I got my first skype interview via email. I know it's far from an official one but still quite excited. At least there is a chance that I won't be rejected by everywhere I applied! 

Happy birthday!!!

9 hours ago, Yiyu Liu said:

Today is my birthday and I got my first skype interview via email. I know it's far from an official one but still quite excited. At least there is a chance that I won't be rejected by everywhere I applied! 

Happy Birthday! Where is your interview at?

Edited by DevSci
typo

1 hour ago, Yiyu Liu said:

I'm personally not applying to NYU but any idea what this is about? "We are suspending applications for Fall 2019 admission while the faculty review the curriculum. We will begin accepting applications for Fall 2020 in early September 2019." - NYU website

3 hours ago, loffire said:

I'm personally not applying to NYU but any idea what this is about? "We are suspending applications for Fall 2019 admission while the faculty review the curriculum. We will begin accepting applications for Fall 2020 in early September 2019." - NYU website

Are you looking at GSAS or Steinhert 

28 minutes ago, PsychWannabee said:

The statement they are talking about is on this page https://steinhardt.nyu.edu/appsych/phd/developmental_psychology/admissions

There are two psychology departments at NYU. For NYU I applied to the Cognition and Perception Psychology Degree with a concentration in developmental psychology 

2 hours ago, PsychWannabee said:

The statement they are talking about is on this page https://steinhardt.nyu.edu/appsych/phd/developmental_psychology/admissions

That's weird, I couldn't understand what they're trying to say and didn't know there's actually two psych departments. I'm applying to GSAS. 

I'm so jealous of ya'll already hearing about interviews! Most of my applications aren't even due yet. Good luck! 

Does anyone know about how long it takes for schools to start reaching out about interviews?

I posted this in the general psychology thread, so sorry if you are seeing it twice!!

On Monday night, I got a text (yes, you read that right, a TEXT) from a POI at UC-Irvine asking if I had time for a call that night or the next day. UCI is PT, but I am ET, so when I got the text, it was already 9:30 pm my time (6:30 pm PT), so I was turning in for the night. I responded saying that I was available on Tuesday and could be flexible with time. Then no response. What do I do now? Text again? Email?

I am leaning toward sending an email. I had not been in contact with this POI before the app was due, because UCI (Developmental Psych program) does not follow a strict 1:1 mentorship model, so when you apply, you are not applying to work with someone specific. I did, however, mention this POI in my SoP because they said in the application that you can mention someone if you want.

Also, yes, I did check the number, and it is a CT number, which could make sense as she completed her PhD at Yale. I couldn't find anything specifically linking that number to her, but she addressed me by name and said, "this is [POI full name] from UCI"

39 minutes ago, DevSci said:

I posted this in the general psychology thread, so sorry if you are seeing it twice!!

On Monday night, I got a text (yes, you read that right, a TEXT) from a POI at UC-Irvine asking if I had time for a call that night or the next day. UCI is PT, but I am ET, so when I got the text, it was already 9:30 pm my time (6:30 pm PT), so I was turning in for the night. I responded saying that I was available on Tuesday and could be flexible with time. Then no response. What do I do now? Text again? Email?

I am leaning toward sending an email. I had not been in contact with this POI before the app was due, because UCI (Developmental Psych program) does not follow a strict 1:1 mentorship model, so when you apply, you are not applying to work with someone specific. I did, however, mention this POI in my SoP because they said in the application that you can mention someone if you want.

Also, yes, I did check the number, and it is a CT number, which could make sense as she completed her PhD at Yale. I couldn't find anything specifically linking that number to her, but she addressed me by name and said, "this is [POI full name] from UCI"

UPDATE: Crazy timing, just 5 mins after posing, I got a call from UCI -- they explained the situation and invited me to the interview on Jan 13-14. ?

4 hours ago, DevSci said:

UPDATE: Crazy timing, just 5 mins after posing, I got a call from UCI -- they explained the situation and invited me to the interview on Jan 13-14. ?

lol that's so bizarre. so are you STILL going to have a call with that POI who texted you?? is this a standard practice? what if you didnt have a texting plan? i have so many questions! lol

5 hours ago, pgt2018 said:

lol that's so bizarre. so are you STILL going to have a call with that POI who texted you?? is this a standard practice? what if you didnt have a texting plan? i have so many questions! lol

RIGHT!? I thought the same thing. So no, the situation was that the POI who texted me was initially assigned to invite me to the interview, but the professor who called me told me that she texted said POI asking if she could be the one to call me instead. So no call with the POI who texted me. I know, very confusing, but either way I am thrilled!!

19 minutes ago, DevelopingThoughts said:

Just had an informal chat with POI from Michigan, she wouldn’t tell me when notifications go out but there isn’t an interview weekend for Michigan, just a recruitment weekend (this goes ditto for University of Minnesota)

Who did you apply to work with at the University of Minnesota? I went to undergrad there! ?

Just a quick update that I received a formal interview to Duke. But I applied to Duke CNAP program (not psych) which may be different from most of you. So if you haven't hear anything from Duke yet you don't have to worry as we're probably applying to different programs.(I applied to a PI who is in both CNAP program and psych program though).

1 hour ago, Yiyu Liu said:

Just a quick update that I received a formal interview to Duke. But I applied to Duke CNAP program (not psych) which may be different from most of you. So if you haven't hear anything from Duke yet you don't have to worry as we're probably applying to different programs.(I applied to a PI who is in both CNAP program and psych program though).

Oh boy. Duke psych was my top choice. ?