Fall 2019 Developmental Psychology Thread

DevelopingThoughts

2 hours ago, pgt2018 said:

is it safe to assume that i won't be receiving an interview invite from UCLA at this point? seems that many of the developmental POIs have extended their interview invitations (and i heard elsewhere that the committee had voted on who to invite). i dont know if i should still holding on to hope or start setting my expectation elsewhere...

I got my travel arrangements email the other day, so I would guess that maybe they’re done with the invites. I was also told when I was called last week that they had voted to invite me. Sorry. 

Did you happen to hear how many were invited so far? Or do all of the faculty invite someone? I’ve only seen 3 here in the results section. 

Edited by Psyhopeful

If the person who just got accepted to Michigan is on this thread, can you please PM me your POI’s initials? Thanks! And congratulations! What a great Christmas present if you celebrate the holiday.

Hi everyone,

For whoever's interested - I got an interview to NYU (Cognition & Perception with a developmental focus) on Dec 16. My POI sent me the e-mail about it.

I was wondering whether anyone here applied to Yale's developmental program and received anything?

11 hours ago, Psyhopeful said:

I got my travel arrangements email the other day, so I would guess that maybe they’re done with the invites. I was also told when I was called last week that they had voted to invite me. Sorry. 

Did you happen to hear how many were invited so far? Or do all of the faculty invite someone? I’ve only seen 3 here in the results section. 

Thanks for sharing, that’s helpful. It definitely gave me a peace of mind so now I can focus on the invites I’ve already received. It does sting though, especially after I had (what I thought was) a very good discussion with the POI prior to application.

I really wish this process would allow for feedback so we know what we could improve on and have it be a learning experience.

On 12/25/2018 at 11:59 AM, mhassa17 said:

Congrats! He was one of the people I applied to work with so I guess its a no for me :(

Shoot, sorry to hear, @mhassa17 !  Maybe the others will reach out! Crossing my fingers for ya! 

On 12/22/2018 at 3:54 PM, Psyhopeful said:

If the person who just got accepted to Michigan is on this thread, can you please PM me your POI’s initials? Thanks! And congratulations! What a great Christmas present if you celebrate the holiday.

Me too please :) Really interested in that program. And Happy New Year everyone!!! 

Has anyone heard from UVA? I saw someone got an invite to developmental psychology awhile ago in the results page, but nothing else. It looks like their interview weekend is the last week in January, so I would think they’d have already sent invites out.

Edited by Psyhopeful

Okay, I just discovered the Rutgers Phd in Childhood Studies program. It has a deadline of January 10th and I’m thinking of applying. Has anyone here looked into it? It looks like they have a lot of psychology professors in the faculty. 

On 1/2/2019 at 9:02 AM, Psyhopeful said:

Has anyone heard from UVA? I saw someone got an invite to developmental psychology awhile ago in the results page, but nothing else. It looks like their interview weekend is the last week in January, so I would think they’d have already sent invites out.

I applied to UVA for Educational Psych (which had the same deadline as Dev) and no, I haven't heard yet. 

UMBC still has my application listed as incomplete even though I sent everything early november :( Been trying to get it sorted out since before the holidays break and the one person I need to talk to hasn't been in the office since. sigh, it's just so frustrating

Anyone have a skype/phone interview where they didn't leave time for you to ask them questions? I just got done interviewing with UMD and they said they had 30 minutes to talk, asked me questions for 30 minutes and then said goodbye, so weird. I've had 3 other interviews and they all asked if I had any questions at the end. Kinda thinking it means she's not going to offer me an in-person interview. 

8 minutes ago, JaniceMontgomery said:

Anyone have a skype/phone interview where they didn't leave time for you to ask them questions? I just got done interviewing with UMD and they said they had 30 minutes to talk, asked me questions for 30 minutes and then said goodbye, so weird. I've had 3 other interviews and they all asked if I had any questions at the end. Kinda thinking it means she's not going to offer me an in-person interview. 

Clinical applicant-lurker here. This is very weird. :( Do you feel like she provided thoughtful feedback after every answer you gave? Also, did she give you any information on the next steps, even if she (abruptly?) ended the call without letting you ask her any questions? 

I had a phone interview and it actually ran longer than the 30 min block we had scheduled (spent a whole hour) but it was due to the PI providing a lot of positive/reassuring feedback to my answers, clearly being interested in the thoughtful responses I gave, etc. 

Just now, checkingmyemail said:

Clinical applicant-lurker here. This is very weird. :( Do you feel like she provided thoughtful feedback after every answer you gave? Also, did she give you any information on the next steps, even if she (abruptly?) ended the call without letting you ask her any questions? 

I had a phone interview and it actually ran longer than the 30 min block we had scheduled (spent a whole hour) but it was due to the PI providing a lot of positive/reassuring feedback to my answers, clearly being interested in the thoughtful responses I gave, etc. 

She seemed pretty positive with her responses to my answers, she definitely asked some hard ones that other schools didn't (Who trained your PI on the Strange Situation), but she didn't provide an extensive amount of feeback one way or another. I also got weird vibes when I emailed her before submitting my application, it was very short and didn't really leave room for questions then either, where as other PIs said something along the lines of "don't hesitate to reach out if you have any questions" so maybe that's just her style?

She did say that she may reach out to me to speak again at a later date (Interview weekend invite?) or I could schedule a call to ask her questions. So it was like this is her call to ask her stuff, if I want to ask her anything I need to set that up myself. Everything about my interactions with her has been kind of odd. 

12 minutes ago, JaniceMontgomery said:

She did say that she may reach out to me to speak again at a later date (Interview weekend invite?) or I could schedule a call to ask her questions. So it was like this is her call to ask her stuff, if I want to ask her anything I need to set that up myself. Everything about my interactions with her has been kind of odd. 

I think this is good enough then. Maybe it is her style, and she's simply an odd/brief person. On the plus side, now you get an opportunity to think this through: Are these the kind of mentor-mentee interactions you'd like to have with the person who's responsible for your career development for the next 5+ years of your life? Probably not. :) I (personally) am a very 1st impression/vibes kind of person, especially over the phone. If I can sense someone is not interested in me or is not as pleasant/warm/thorough as I'd prefer, it's a no-go for me lol.

Don't sweat/overthink this call too much. Focus on killing your other interviews

Edited by checkingmyemail

9 hours ago, Boron0 said:

Would the person who posted about the interview with development faculty at The University of Wisconsin Madison mind messaging me the name / initials of their POI :)?

Me too, please!