Fall 2019 Developmental Psychology Thread

DevelopingThoughts

14 hours ago, Psyhopeful said:

Would the person who got the invite to Michigan’s interview weekend be willing to share their POI initials with me in a PM please? Also, congratulations!

same here (if you dont mind PMing me)!! i've been waiting to hear from them as well...congrats!!!

On 1/7/2019 at 5:01 PM, Boron0 said:

Would the person who received an invite from UNC mind messaging me their POI initials / names ??

Chapel Hill or elsewhere?

Has anyone heard from Cornell? I saw someone got an interview back in mid December and that their interview weekend is in February. It just said Psychology though, and I applied to the Human Development school for the developmental psychology program. I’m wondering if they’ve already done their interviews too.

55 minutes ago, Psyhopeful said:

Has anyone heard from Cornell? I saw someone got an interview back in mid December and that their interview weekend is in February. It just said Psychology though, and I applied to the Human Development school for the developmental psychology program. I’m wondering if they’ve already done their interviews too.

I haven't heard from them. 

4 hours ago, Psyhopeful said:

HD usually sends their interview invitations mid-January. I saw on the results page that someone was contacted by their Cornell HD PI today. Could that person please share their PI name/initials in a PM?

13 minutes ago, Rey38 said:

HD usually sends their interview invitations mid-January. I saw on the results page that someone was contacted by their Cornell HD PI today. Could that person please share their PI name/initials in a PM?

Oh man, me too please!

I got an email from my POI at UVA telling me that they're no longer researching my interest and offering to share my application with others that might be interested in me. It never occurred to me that the other POIs I mention might not see my application. Trying not to be too hopeful, but at least I know my application was good enough for my POI to think others might want to see it!

On 1/8/2019 at 4:22 PM, JaniceMontgomery said:

I got my first acceptance! UConn is my 4-5 choice so I probably won't go unless my interviews go really badly, but still I'm so much more relaxed now! 

Congrats! I got an invite to UConn Dev Psych's prospective student's visitation day on 2/1 (can't go, arranged to go on an alternate date). Did you get accepted without an interview, or is the visitation day not an interview but like a recruitment event? 

2 hours ago, 1996kayden said:

Congrats! I got an invite to UConn Dev Psych's prospective student's visitation day on 2/1 (can't go, arranged to go on an alternate date). Did you get accepted without an interview, or is the visitation day not an interview but like a recruitment event? 

I applied to UConn's HDFS program, not Dev. I got an acceptance without an interview, but I did have an email correspondence with the PI before applying. The email invited me to "Graduate Student Weekend" from Feb 28- March 2, it sounded like a recruitment event to sell me on the program and show me the area, more than an interview. 

Just now, canstudent13 said:

I've heard from Human Development at Cornell! It was a Skype interview with my POI 

Congratulations! Would you be willing to share your POIs initials in a pm?

1 minute ago, Psyhopeful said:

Congratulations! Would you be willing to share your POIs initials in a pm?

Sure! Just as a question (I'm a Canadian and first time applicant so I'm sorry if this seems like a dumb question), I don't really understand why people don't share the names of their POIs freely. I just followed what everyone else seemed to be doing and kept it anonymous on the forum. Does anyone know why people tend not to share the names of their POIs?

2 minutes ago, canstudent13 said:

Sure! Just as a question (I'm a Canadian and first time applicant so I'm sorry if this seems like a dumb question), I don't really understand why people don't share the names of their POIs freely. I just followed what everyone else seemed to be doing and kept it anonymous on the forum. Does anyone know why people tend not to share the names of their POIs?

I personally don’t do it because I don’t want my POI googling themselves and seeing what I’ve said (however innocent) and figuring out it was me. It just seems poor form in general to share details of private conversations with names attached.

1 minute ago, Psyhopeful said:

I personally don’t do it because I don’t want my POI googling themselves and seeing what I’ve said (however innocent) and figuring out it was me. It just seems poor form in general to share details of private conversations with names attached.

Okay, I see. Thank you so much!

On 1/9/2019 at 11:56 PM, Rey38 said:

Yeah me too!

7 hours ago, canstudent13 said:

I've heard from Human Development at Cornell! It was a Skype interview with my POI 

Congratulations! Would you mind sending me the POI initials?

2 hours ago, ResilientDreams said:

Cornell POI told me to keep an eye out for an email from the department and that she would enthusiastically recommend me to the committee. Not sure if the email from the department is about the results of the committee or something else. 

Would you mind PMing me your POI?