Fall 2019 Developmental Psychology Thread

DevelopingThoughts

Just got an informal acceptance to WSU!

My University of Denver POI also just emailed me and said she had exciting news (we skyped in Dec) and wanted to talk this afternoon. I can't imagine it would be an acceptance, but since I already did at least a preliminary interview, maybe an in-person?? Excited.

My signature includes all the school I applied to/have heard from. Sounds like a lot of them aren't matching up with y'all ( @mhassa17@FlowerdanceShirley, @ResilientDreams)

Ugh I'm in a bit of a predicament. I've got interviews every weekend from the 24th of Jan - the 22nd of Feb and it's making me miss a lot of lab time. I normally work 18-20hrs a week and this will cut my time down a lot. I've also been invited to an 'accepted students day' at UConn on Feb 28th and I'm getting a lot of pressure from them to RSVP. It doesn't conflict with any of my interview times but it's only an 'okay' option for me so I'm hesitant to take more time off if I'm not going to accept the offer anyway. I wanted to wait until after I've heard a decision from my first choice, which I will be interviewing for Feb 1st, to RSVP one way or the other, but they're really wanting an answer by Jan 24th. So idk what to do. I don't want to not go and have it be my only acceptance. 

17 minutes ago, JaniceMontgomery said:

Ugh I'm in a bit of a predicament. I've got interviews every weekend from the 24th of Jan - the 22nd of Feb and it's making me miss a lot of lab time. I normally work 18-20hrs a week and this will cut my time down a lot. I've also been invited to an 'accepted students day' at UConn on Feb 28th and I'm getting a lot of pressure from them to RSVP. It doesn't conflict with any of my interview times but it's only an 'okay' option for me so I'm hesitant to take more time off if I'm not going to accept the offer anyway. I wanted to wait until after I've heard a decision from my first choice, which I will be interviewing for Feb 1st, to RSVP one way or the other, but they're really wanting an answer by Jan 24th. So idk what to do. I don't want to not go and have it be my only acceptance. 

I'm a bit worried about something similar happening to me, especially since I have to finish up my last semester and my honors thesis...

Just now, ResilientDreams said:

I'm a bit worried about something similar happening to me, especially since I have to finish up my last semester and my honors thesis...

I'm doing that as well. Luckily I moved my classes to be only MW to avoid missing any and I got a lot done for my thesis last semester. So it's mostly lab time I'm worried about. 

1 hour ago, DevSci said:

Just got an informal acceptance to WSU!

My University of Denver POI also just emailed me and said she had exciting news (we skyped in Dec) and wanted to talk this afternoon. I can't imagine it would be an acceptance, but since I already did at least a preliminary interview, maybe an in-person?? Excited.

My signature includes all the school I applied to/have heard from. Sounds like a lot of them aren't matching up with y'all ( @mhassa17@FlowerdanceShirley, @ResilientDreams)

Congrats!!! I haven't found anyone who's applied to the same places as me. :( idk if i should be glad or worried.  I remember you mentioned your POI from George Mason was TG. I'm a master's student and took a couple classes with her. She's superrrrrr intelligent and really loves confident and enthusiastic people. She's very into theater and play. Good luck on your interview!! Let me know if you have any questions about the open house. I was also there last year when the applicants were invited.

21 hours ago, mhassa17 said:

Congrats!!! I haven't found anyone who's applied to the same places as me. :( idk if i should be glad or worried.  I remember you mentioned your POI from George Mason was TG. I'm a master's student and took a couple classes with her. She's superrrrrr intelligent and really loves confident and enthusiastic people. She's very into theater and play. Good luck on your interview!! Let me know if you have any questions about the open house. I was also there last year when the applicants were invited.

Very cool! I am excited to meet her - I have seen her a few videos of her talking about her work and I can tell she is so passionate about it. 

On 1/2/2019 at 10:02 PM, Psyhopeful said:

Has anyone heard from UVA? I saw someone got an invite to developmental psychology awhile ago in the results page, but nothing else. It looks like their interview weekend is the last week in January, so I would think they’d have already sent invites out.

I sent an email to my POI, and she said we'll be in touch within a week or so. And then, I waited, and waited, still no email. Getting upset.

1 hour ago, Linghua Jiang said:

I sent an email to my POI, and she said we'll be in touch within a week or so. And then, I waited, and waited, still no email. Getting upset.

From someone in the social three who seems to know a lot about what’s going on there, it looks like invitations went out this week. They said they are making arrangements with grad students to house visitors, so I think if you didn’t get an invite, you probably aren’t going to at this point.

Edited by Psyhopeful

On 12/20/2018 at 5:01 PM, StatsAddict said:

Hello! New to this website, but I thought I’d share my current interview updates: I have interviews for the developmental programs at Missouri (Jan 25), UT Dallas (Jan 31-Feb 1), GMU (Feb 15), ASU (preliminary phone interview), and Notre Dame.

I also applied to University of Minnesota’s Child Psychology program, Developmental Science Track; has anyone heard anything from this program? They only have info on the accepted students weekend on their website— but they don’t say anything about interviewing. Also applied to Georgetown’s PhD in Psychology, concentration in human development: anyone hear anything from them? Any info would be most welcome! :)

Just heard back from Minnesota's ICD graduate program yesterday afternoon (applied to developmental science track)-- received an unofficial acceptance phone call and email from POI, as well as the more formal acceptance letter via email. 

6 hours ago, DevNeuro said:

Just heard back from Minnesota's ICD graduate program yesterday afternoon (applied to developmental science track)-- received an unofficial acceptance phone call and email from POI, as well as the more formal acceptance letter via email. 

Congrats! What are the initials of your POI (if you don't mind sharing)?

53 minutes ago, ResilientDreams said:

What happened?

They didn't really ask about any projects I've designed/am currently designing and instead of just talking about them unprompted I kept my mouth shut...but I feel like that's vital information. I didn't know how to handle it in the moment because I've never had an interview where they didn't just straight up ask me to tell them about my thesis. ? 

After a (probably) failed interview this afternoon, I just had to decline an interview at another school (couldn't attend the dates they set and didn't feel right asking for an alternate date because I'm definitely more likely to choose the school I already got an offer for).

Feeling pretty shitty ?