UChicago, MSW 2019

harpert1

6 hours ago, laurenbrookebarnhart said:

i applied December 1st deadline. freaking tf out. this is the only school i applied to. gahhh

That’s very brave to have only applied here; I admire that!  In that case, I’m sure you’ll be accepted with a generous scholarship. Hopefully we all hear back before February 15th. 

I contacted the admissions office a couple of days ago to ask when they would begin sending out acceptance notifications, and she told me that some of them should be sent out as early as this week. Hopefully we don't have to hang in there much longer! I am looking to attend the MSW Advanced Standing - Social Service Administration program.

50 minutes ago, lunary said:

I contacted the admissions office a couple of days ago to ask when they would begin sending out acceptance notifications, and she told me that some of them should be sent out as early as this week. Hopefully we don't have to hang in there much longer! I am looking to attend the MSW Advanced Standing - Social Service Administration program.

This is such great news!  I hope that all of us will be getting our acceptances in the near future.  

1 hour ago, lunary said:

I called about the full time msw program and they gave me no info. Maybe there is a different team who works on advanced standing. 

16 hours ago, Capturedvitality said:

I called about the full time msw program and they gave me no info. Maybe there is a different team who works on advanced standing. 

Advanced Standing students begin attending in the summer, so when you consider that students in this program will be required to find housing and living arrangements for just a few months from now, it's very likely that the admissions decisions go out earlier than for the other MSW programs.

I just got accepted to the Advanced Standing Program with a Dean's Distinguished Leadership award of $16,000 as well as an AmeriCorps Service Award of $1,500! I'm so excited!

11 minutes ago, lunary said:

I just got accepted to the Advanced Standing Program with a Dean's Distinguished Leadership award of $16,000 as well as an AmeriCorps Service Award of $1,500! I'm so excited!

I’m so happy for you!!!! Yayyyyy.  Congratulations. 

24 minutes ago, harpert1 said:

I’m so happy for you!!!! Yayyyyy.  Congratulations. 

Thank you! I was a bit nervous because I am fresh out of my BSW program and UoC was my top choice, but I am incredibly excited and honored. I'm very much looking forward to attending.

13 minutes ago, lunary said:

Thank you! I was a bit nervous because I am fresh out of my BSW program and UoC was my top choice, but I am incredibly excited and honored. I'm very much looking forward to attending.

That’s so great. You’re very deserving of this acceptance, I’m sure. Might I ask: Is the $16,000 award per year or total?

11 minutes ago, harpert1 said:

That’s so great. You’re very deserving of this acceptance, I’m sure. Might I ask: Is the $16,000 award per year or total?

It is a total amount. Since I am attending the Advanced Standing program, the length of the program is only one year, split into four quarters. The letter also mentioned that I may receive additional need-based scholarships once my FAFSA is reviewed in the coming weeks. 

4 minutes ago, lunary said:

It is a total amount. Since I am attending the Advanced Standing program, the length of the program is only one year, split into four quarters. The letter also mentioned that I may receive additional need-based scholarships once my FAFSA is reviewed in the coming weeks. 

That’s even better since it’s one year; should knock off a hefty chunk. Again, many congratulations. 

On 1/18/2019 at 3:28 AM, Crichmond said:

I guess we will be together! I received the same type of scholarship! Congrats!

Same here, congrats to you both!! Do you all have any idea when financial aid award letters are rolling out? I’m out of state, so trying to make sure the financial piece is sorted out before the acceptance deadline! 

On 1/20/2019 at 11:18 PM, jordanw said:

Same here, congrats to you both!! Do you all have any idea when financial aid award letters are rolling out? I’m out of state, so trying to make sure the financial piece is sorted out before the acceptance deadline! 

I received 28,000 for the leadership scholarship, and I have accepted it, since I am local. I read every section of that website, but they do not give an speciafic date. They mentioned it take a few weeks to hear back about the need-based scholarship. I am really hoping I can get some more funds as I won’t have any income while in school.

I hope to hear back soon. Congrats to you

I just spoke with the admissions’ office. She told me that the need-base scholarship and student loans are processed by another entity within the university. They are working on providing everyone’s information by next week, before the decision is due. She said she can’t garantee, but she will keep in touch as she understands that it is everyone’s concern to know the bigger picture before making a decision. 

Edited by Crichmond

It's so exciting to hear that you guys already have your acceptances! I also applied but for the AM/PhD program so I'm assuming I have a fair bit longer to go before I hear back. 

3 minutes ago, Crichmond said:

I just spoke with Mary Debose at the admissions’ office. She told me that the need-base scholarship and student loans are processed by another entity within the university. They are working on providing everyone’s information by next week, before the decision is due. She said she can’t garantee, but she will keep in touch as she understands that it is everyone’s concern to know the bigger picture before making a decision. 

I'm in a similar position. This program is my top choice and I'm certainly happy with whatever they are able to provide, but I also get a little anxious when I start doing the math and figuring out how much I'll need to take out in loans.

I'm trying to remind myself that at least I'll be in the advanced standing program, so I'll only have to take out loans for one year, unlike most graduate programs in other fields.

26 minutes ago, lunary said:

I'm in a similar position. This program is my top choice and I'm certainly happy with whatever they are able to provide, but I also get a little anxious when I start doing the math and figuring out how much I'll need to take out in loans.

I'm trying to remind myself that at least I'll be in the advanced standing program, so I'll only have to take out loans for one year, unlike most graduate programs in other fields.

Well, I’m married and only applied for schools in Chicago as it would be hard to move. The way I look at it is, I applied to Loyola, Uchicago and UIC. I was accepted at the 3 schools. Loyola costs $30k, Uchicago $48k and UIC $17k. All these numbers are approximate. With the scholarship offer I received, Uchicago becomes super attractive and competitive in price as well, besides being a top school. The other schools does not have many options for financial aid. I am hoping to receive more in need-base scholarship, but I am determined to get my masters, so I guess if we want to do it, we have no choice but to take some student loans and move forward with our dreams.

I didn't end up applying to UIC, although it is by far the most affordable option in Chicago, because it seemed to require a stats course prior to applying.

I haven't taken stats and did not want to invest time and money into a prerequisite for a program I may or may not be admitted to. That was my reasoning at the time.

In retrospect, I think it probably would have been a good idea (if I had started planning a bit sooner), especially since the stats course would have benefited my other applications as well.

At any rate, that's in the past now-- anxiously waiting these SSA decisions! ?

Hope everyone is hanging in there, and congrats to the advanced standing peeps already admitted!

Edited by zoetrope