UChicago, MSW 2019

harpert1

I have read on past forums that decisions are typically released on a Friday.. hopefully it is this Friday for each of you that are waiting!

I applied the 15th and the wait is already killing me!

7 hours ago, harpert1 said:

I’m also dying. I’ve actually heard back from every school except UChicago, so I will be able to make a final decision as soon as they hurry up.  Haha. 

Congratulations!!! ? Can I ask where you've been accepted? 

On 1/29/2019 at 2:15 PM, MSWgirl2019 said:

Congratulations!!! ? Can I ask where you've been accepted? 

Many thanks!! So far, I’ve been accepted to UMichigan, Case Western Reserve, University of Illinois-Chicago and University of Illinois-Urbana.  Top choice is Case. 

21 hours ago, harpert1 said:

Many thanks!! So far, I’ve been accepted to UMichigan, Case Western Reserve, University of Illinois-Chicago and University of Illinois-Urbana.  Top choice is Case. 

Congrats!!!! That's an awesome list! If you get accepted to UChicago with a generous scholarship package, would you pivot towards SSA? 

Hopefully, tomorrow is the day we've all been long anticipating so you can finally make a decision ?

12 minutes ago, MSWgirl2019 said:

Congrats!!!! That's an awesome list! If you get accepted to UChicago with a generous scholarship package, would you pivot towards SSA? 

Hopefully, tomorrow is the day we've all been long anticipating so you can finally make a decision ?

Ahhh. I hope too. It’s crazy how long the wait is. Or in inpatient 

6 hours ago, Capturedvitality said:

Ahhh. I hope too. It’s crazy how long the wait is. Or in inpatient 

Me too! And it's taking longer than last year! People who applied on the early decision deadline for the full time program heard by January 20th.

8 hours ago, MSWgirl2019 said:

Thank you so much!!! I would definitely consider SSA more heavily with a generous scholarship, mainly since my family is still in Chicago and I was born and raised there so it would be nice to be back home.  I also know some SSA alums in Chicago who are doing some really great things. 

Hopefully today is the day! Yes. Lol.  If not, they’ve guaranteed to inform us by February 15th so that day will move closer now.  

10 hours ago, harpert1 said:

Thank you so much!!! I would definitely consider SSA more heavily with a generous scholarship, mainly since my family is still in Chicago and I was born and raised there so it would be nice to be back home.  I also know some SSA alums in Chicago who are doing some really great things. 

Hopefully today is the day! Yes. Lol.  If not, they’ve guaranteed to inform us by February 15th so that day will move closer now.  

Wow, I wish you the best of luck :) What kinds of things are the SSA alums in Chicago doing? Do you know if they were all happy with their experiences in SSA? 

Yes, ha I definitely am clinging to supremely false hope that we'll hear by 5 pm today, but I doubt it. 

29 minutes ago, Capturedvitality said:

I got the short letter. Congrats to all that got in! My path is leading me onward somewhere else. 

I'm sorry to hear that! I wish you all the best and you definitely have some excellent options. I attended NYU as an undergrad and had a very positive experience so please feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Best of luck to everyone else! 

1 hour ago, MSWgirl2019 said:

Everyone go check your admissions portal! They updated my decisions document today at 5 pm, but they did not email me about it! It was just very lucky that I randomly checked :) 

I also was accepted to SSA with a good scholarship so this actually makes the decision much more challenging!  Good thing that we have until April to make that decision; so it’s possible we could end up in the same place. 

1 hour ago, MSWgirl2019 said:

I'm sorry to hear that! I wish you all the best and you definitely have some excellent options. I attended NYU as an undergrad and had a very positive experience so please feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Best of luck to everyone else! 

Thanks for the support. I understand why I didn’t get in. My undergrad is unrelated and I had a b adverge. Oh well. 

16 hours ago, harpert1 said:

Another Chicagoan. What neighborhood/side if you don't mind me asking? I was born on the SS, then moved to the North Side, then back to SS (SW specifically).

Does anyone know what the need-based financial aid packages might look like? Is that just loans or are there also need-based scholarships available? I am low-income. I'll probably call the school on Monday, but wondering if anyone here has insight.

1. @zoetrope Yes, these packages include federal need-based scholarships and work study as well so don't worry! After you have submitted the FAFSA, then UChicago will update you will in a few weeks what your new financial package will be. Then you can assess how much you will have to take out in loans, which will also be offered as part of the federal aid. Hopefully, the government will be able to offer you a sizable amount on top of whatever UChicago already gave you. 
  2. Their website explains that there are three types of federal aid offered:
    1. Loans—borrowed money for college or career school; you must repay your loans, with interest"
    2. Work-study—a work program through which you earn money to help you pay for school
    3. Grants—financial aid that doesn't have to be repaid (unless, for example, you withdraw from school and owe a refund) 

https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/type

Edited by MSWgirl2019