Fall 2019 Counseling Psych PhD Applicants

futcounspsych

On 1/28/2019 at 12:39 PM, CallMeMaybe said:

Anyone hear from UT-Austin or Georgia State? Bueller...Bueller?

On 1/26/2019 at 6:55 AM, Psych020911 said:

Has anyone heard back from Georgia State?

I emailed the Program Coordinator, and they said that initial interview offers have already been sent out.

hey all, 

so, when folks ask about mass email vs POI emails, is this because mass emails usually indicated an end of the road, like you made the interview or didn't, and your done? 

Vs. POI's are like as they make it through the apps targeting them, if they want they'll reach out to you for an interview? 

If you don't make the interview cut, are you basically done? 

1 hour ago, 9 of cups said:

hey all, 

so, when folks ask about mass email vs POI emails, is this because mass emails usually indicated an end of the road, like you made the interview or didn't, and your done? 

Vs. POI's are like as they make it through the apps targeting them, if they want they'll reach out to you for an interview? 

If you don't make the interview cut, are you basically done? 

It really depends on the program. Some will have the entire faculty meet and then send out emails to the candidates that they want all at once. Others will meet and then the faculty decide which applicants they want to have an interview with, meaning that separate emails go out at different times per POI. However, if you didn't make the interview cut it doesn't necessarily mean you are done because they could always be saving you as an alternate for an interview in case someone declines last minute or decides not to accept admittance. The best thing to do is email whoever is designated on the website to answer application questions and just gently ask about interview invites. 

Does anyone know anything about interviews for Seton Hall?  I saw one response on the results page, but it was for an international student so I didn't know if the date was for a Skype interview or if that was their interview day.

2 minutes ago, holdingouthope said:

Anyone heard from Minnesota??

I'm waiting for this as well. I know lots of other disciplines in the psych department have sent out acceptances, but none for counseling that i know of.

1 hour ago, IHG88 said:

I'm waiting for this as well. I know lots of other disciplines in the psych department have sent out acceptances, but none for counseling that i know of.

Yeah I haven't seen a single post about it. The website said students would be notified in early January, but hopefully that timeline has changed!

On 2/1/2019 at 10:53 AM, topsailpsych said:

Does anyone know anything about interviews for Seton Hall?  I saw one response on the results page, but it was for an international student so I didn't know if the date was for a Skype interview or if that was their interview day.

Interview day is March 1. They gave us the option for on campus or Skype. 

On 2/4/2019 at 8:48 AM, holdingouthope said:

Thanks! It sounds like they're starting to reach out, so hopefully we'll all hear something soon. Congrats and good luck!

Finished the interview this morning, turns out that the POI already offered admission to a student, but extended an interview for shortlist/waitlist options if the person rejects the offer. Based on that, I think offers are already sent out, and any interviews offered at this point would be for alternative options unless the professors are working on interviews at a different pace.

Edited by Marginally Significant

1 hour ago, Marginally Significant said:

Finished the interview this morning, turns out that the POI already offered admission to a student, but extended an interview for shortlist/waitlist options if the person rejects the offer. Based on that, I think offers are already sent out, and any interviews offered at this point would be for alternative options unless the professors are working on interviews at a different pace.

Hopefully finding this out hasn’t broken your spirit. I know for me being waitlisted really took a damper on my mental well being so I’m sending good vibes your way just in case. Hopefully that slot opens up and you get in. Or if you have other interviews I’m sure you’ll do great!

25 minutes ago, PsychApp34 said:

Has anyone heard from Springfield College's Counseling PsyD program? Trying my absolute best to stay patient ?

I haven't heard yet. The prof I contacted (2 weeks ago) told me we would hear back the first week of February (this week), so hopefully we'll know soon!!

Edited by dancedementia

9 hours ago, dancedementia said:

This is completely unrelated, but DAMN your profile picture gives me such anxiety hahaha.

It... may have been inspired by half of my research conference submissions lol

8 hours ago, Keyz said:

Hopefully finding this out hasn’t broken your spirit. I know for me being waitlisted really took a damper on my mental well being so I’m sending good vibes your way just in case. Hopefully that slot opens up and you get in. Or if you have other interviews I’m sure you’ll do great!

Thanks! Luckily (?), my previous round of applications resulted in two waitlisted schools (With the PhD program rejecting me in the end), so I'm more or less desensitized to the waitlisted gloom and focusing on prepping for my other interviews and finishing up my thesis and letting it become a pleasant surprise if it turns out that the slot opens.

11 minutes ago, dancedementia said:

Springfield is kinda getting me worried. Their interview dates are 2/15 and 2/22 so they're kind of cutting it close.........

Me too, but I haven’t heard of anyone getting any kind of feedback from them. I’ve been so stressed out!

35 minutes ago, dancedementia said:

Springfield is kinda getting me worried. Their interview dates are 2/15 and 2/22 so they're kind of cutting it close.........

It’s so odd how some institutions wait until the last minute; as if that doesn’t invoke more anxiety than necessary in applicants. Or even institutions that just decide to ghost people... Even worse. Hopefully they get back to you soon!

Has anyone heard back from the University of Oregon after their on-site interview? It has been two weeks since the interview, and the date for getting a reply (no matter it was an admission letter or waitlist) last year is 1.31, and 2.1 for 2017. If I haven't got any updated info yet, does that mean a silent rejection?  Anxiety level is rising fast right now?.

Hey!  For those of you familiar, I'm looking for a comparison between the reputations of the Counseling Psych PhD programs at Purdue vs. Ball State Universities.  I loved both of them for different reasons... is one generally held in higher esteem in terms of education/training/publications/other?  I know there are many personal factors to consider in these decisions, but I'm pretty much in-the-dark about overall reputations and your opinions and knowledge are appreciated 

Thanks!         

26 minutes ago, matsumi said:

Hey!  For those of you familiar, I'm looking for a comparison between the reputations of the Counseling Psych PhD programs at Purdue vs. Ball State Universities.  I loved both of them for different reasons... is one generally held in higher esteem in terms of education/training/publications/other?  I know there are many personal factors to consider in these decisions, but I'm pretty much in-the-dark about overall reputations and your opinions and knowledge are appreciated 

Thanks!         

The best advice that I have been given by different professors in the field, even those in other fields like cog and clinical, is that reputation is a very poor indicator of an institution. The best indicators are: is the program APA accredited? Does a professor have research interests that coincide with yours? Is funding available for you? If you want me to answer your question directly, in my opinion, Purdue would be the one held in “higher esteem,” but don’t make that cloud your judgment of an institution.