Gates Cambridge 2019–2020

abravenewworld

I figured we were missing a Gates Cambridge thread for the 'October 2019 entry' cycle (better late than never!). The title is a bit misleading, as almost all GC Scholars will enter October 2019. I'm guessing that previous threads tacked on the extra year (e.g., 2017–2018, 2018–2019) to reflect the one or two awardees who receive approval to defer their funding for a year.

About Me: I'm a U.S. applicant and received an official offer for Cambridge's PhD in Psychology on 26 November. Yesterday (7 December), I received an invitation to interview as a finalist for the U.S. Gates round.

Posting: Feel free to update with status changes for admission to your course and notifications from GC. I wasn't expecting GC notifications this early, as the previous GC threads have indicated that they usually come out 14–15 December.

***Useful Links***

The main thread for 2019 postgraduate admissions at Cambridge can be found here at The Student Room (the UK equivalent of College Confidential for the US). I've posted a few times there and it's updated pretty regularly.

The Facebook group for Cambridge 2019 postgraduate admission offer holders (regardless of GC status) can be found here.

Good luck, everyone!

Also surprised that the notifications went out so early! Since I haven't heard anything, I'm assuming I wasn't invited to interview, though I'll hold out hope for a few more days in case there's any possibility that they're sending out notifications at different times. FWIW, I'm also studying at an east-coast school, and was accepted into an MPhil program in film and offered a college placement about two weeks ago.

Hi there, I was also notified of being chosen for an interview on December 7th. I'll be going to DC; I thought all interviews would be held in DC as the location changes between Seattle and DC depending on the year. Someone from my school (public state university on the East Coast) was selected for a GC two years ago, and he had to fly to Seattle.

I'm definitely surprised that the news came out so early, but I'm super excited! I'd be doing a PhD in Physiology, Development and Neuroscience with specific emphasis on developmental biology.

Edit: I was accepted to my programme on November 27th, and I got my college placement (Jesus; was my top choice) on December 5th.

Edited by BATW

1 hour ago, je46 said:

Also surprised that the notifications went out so early! Since I haven't heard anything, I'm assuming I wasn't invited to interview, though I'll hold out hope for a few more days in case there's any possibility that they're sending out notifications at different times. FWIW, I'm also studying at an east-coast school, and was accepted into an MPhil program in film and offered a college placement about two weeks ago.

I'm sure they're far from done. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. I'm still waiting back to hear from a college; how exciting! Where were you placed?

10 minutes ago, BATW said:

Hi there, I was also notified of being chosen for an interview on December 7th. I'll be going to DC; I thought all interviews would be held in DC as the location changes between Seattle and DC depending on the year. Someone from my school (public state university on the East Coast) was selected for a GC two years ago, and he had to fly to Seattle.

I'm definitely surprised that the news came out so early, but I'm super excited! I'd be doing a PhD in Physiology, Development and Neuroscience with specific emphasis on developmental biology.

How interesting! I didn't know they switched year-to-year. Have you heard back from colleges, yet? Above all, congrats!!

Just now, abravenewworld said:

How interesting! I didn't know they switched year-to-year. Have you heard back from colleges, yet? Above all, congrats!!

Yeah! I just edited my above response, realize I forgot to mention. I got into Jesus college last week as well. It was my top choice

1 hour ago, abravenewworld said:

I'm sure they're far from done. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. I'm still waiting back to hear from a college; how exciting! Where were you placed?

I was placed in St. John's! And thanks, since it seems to vary a bit year to year regarding when they notify people (and sciences vs. arts panels may notify at slightly different times), I'm going to remain hopeful!

On 12/9/2018 at 7:57 PM, je46 said:

I was placed in St. John's! And thanks, since it seems to vary a bit year to year regarding when they notify people (and sciences vs. arts panels may notify at slightly different times), I'm going to remain hopeful!

Wow, congrats! Trinity was my first choice and St. John's was my second. Still waiting to hear back. I really hope I don't get rejected from both and get pooled.

On 12/9/2018 at 3:58 PM, BATW said:

Yeah! I just edited my above response, realize I forgot to mention. I got into Jesus college last week as well. It was my top choice

Hey congratulations! I noticed in your signature you very thoroughly laid out your applications. Just curious, would you go to Cambridge over UCSF, Harvard, Yale, Penn, Caltech?

Fellow american here, so just want to get your perspective on your thoughts and considerations, especially given America has absolutely world class schools that many europeans/internationals would kill to go to....

I am also going through these considerations, so any thoughts would be helpful!! thank you

19 hours ago, 3064 said:

Hey congratulations! I noticed in your signature you very thoroughly laid out your applications. Just curious, would you go to Cambridge over UCSF, Harvard, Yale, Penn, Caltech?

Fellow american here, so just want to get your perspective on your thoughts and considerations, especially given America has absolutely world class schools that many europeans/internationals would kill to go to....

I am also going through these considerations, so any thoughts would be helpful!! thank you

HI! So until I know the funding situation for Cambridge, I can't say for sure. Assuming I get into everything and have funding everywhere, etc. etc., it would come down to a combination of atmosphere, the type of research, and how I feel my relationship with potential PIs would be. I'm looking into developmental biology, so I'm mostly concerned about what my research would be and the lab I'd be a part of.

Now, that being said, in the process of my Cambridge application, I've already begun to foster a relationship with a PI in my field doing work that incredibly excites me, and that's the main reason I applied to Cambridge and the Gates, and why being with that PI is my top choice situation. I wasn't and am not expecting to get offers everywhere I applied at all, and I want to be at a great institution with labs doing work I'm interested in, so that's why I applied to so many programs.

42 minutes ago, BATW said:

HI! So until I know the funding situation for Cambridge, I can't say for sure. Assuming I get into everything and have funding everywhere, etc. etc., it would come down to a combination of atmosphere, the type of research, and how I feel my relationship with potential PIs would be. I'm looking into developmental biology, so I'm mostly concerned about what my research would be and the lab I'd be a part of.

Now, that being said, in the process of my Cambridge application, I've already begun to foster a relationship with a PI in my field doing work that incredibly excites me, and that's the main reason I applied to Cambridge and the Gates, and why being with that PI is my top choice situation. I wasn't and am not expecting to get offers everywhere I applied at all, and I want to be at a great institution with labs doing work I'm interested in, so that's why I applied to so many programs.

Absolutely! PI/lab is my principle concern as well. Very helpful thoughts, thank you so much! 

yea, i will assess at the end depending on all the outcomes. Wish you all the best! Sounds like something great will work out Gates or otherwise!

7 hours ago, ccountry8 said:

Has anyone heard back from Arts or Physical Sciences? At this point I'm expecting to have to shoot for a different scholarship, but I guess it's not over until they send a rejection.

Or heard any sort of rejection back from any one of the panels?

Hi everyone!

American applicant here :)

So I applied in October, got a conditional offer letter in mid November, got college membership in early December, but still haven't heard anything about an interview. I'm a bit afraid to ask, but has anyone been invited to an interview for Criminal Justice/Criminology?

Also, are we supposed to complete the conditions of the offer letter before hearing back from Gates (e.g. upload picture, UK Immigration forms, Financial Undertaking Form)?

2 hours ago, Yesi2014 said:

Hi everyone!

American applicant here :)

So I applied in October, got a conditional offer letter in mid November, got college membership in early December, but still haven't heard anything about an interview. I'm a bit afraid to ask, but has anyone been invited to an interview for Criminal Justice/Criminology?

Also, are we supposed to complete the conditions of the offer letter before hearing back from Gates (e.g. upload picture, UK Immigration forms, Financial Undertaking Form)?

I'm not sure, but I don't think you need to do those things immediately in order to get a Gates invitation. I think those of us who heard neither rejection nor offer of interview are on an "interview waitlist" of sorts (that will likely turn to rejection in January, but hey, there's a chance). Which college did you hear from? 

Edited by ccountry8

• 1 month later...

Could any one help me please?? I am very stressed. I have applied for a PhD at Cambridge university ( January 3rd deadline), but have not received any email regarding Cambridge Gate and Trust scholarships and interview. Does anyone know when the interview invitations will be emailed? Or have they already sent emails to people who have been selected for an interview? 

5 hours ago, Aili said:

Could any one help me please?? I am very stressed. I have applied for a PhD at Cambridge university ( January 3rd deadline), but have not received any email regarding Cambridge Gate and Trust scholarships and interview. Does anyone know when the interview invitations will be emailed? Or have they already sent emails to people who have been selected for an interview? 

Hi! So you submitted for Jan 3, so I assume you are a non-US citizen applying for the 2nd round.

According to the website, Departmental ranking doesn't finish until sometime in February (meaning if you are put forward to the Gates Cambridge Trust you should hear from your Department sometime in mid/late February). The Gates Cambridge Trust shortlists candidates submitted by the departments in Early March. You would hear about a possible interview around then, and the interviews this year are March 26th and 27th. All of that information is here: https://www.gatescambridge.org/apply/deadlines

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Yasemin_ said:

Hi everyone,

Has anyone got the interview e-mail from gates cambridge for  2nd round applications? I'm assuming I have not been selected for the shortlist ,putting  little stress on to me:/

No update yet. My department hasn't let me know yet whether they nominated me or not. 

What course btw?

Does the department typically notify those they've nominated? I haven't heard anything... ? 

Update: I've heard that invitations to interview have started rolling out!

Edited by Jelena23

Interviews went out yesterday with a deadline to accept of just two days. I expect that's so anyone that pulls out can be replaced in a second wave, but given the nature of Gates I don't imagine there would be many. Because the deadline is so short and there's only a few weeks before the interview, I don't see them doing rolling admissions otherwise, but of course they might. 

If anyone found any useful resources to prep for the interview, do let me know!