Post here to get your worries off your chest

Worries: I am up over my head and drowning with imposter syndrome. I don't think this website is helping when I look at people's profiles and see how much they've accomplished. I feel so...dumb, and average. Like I wasted my time in my three years of undergrad, and I should have done four, or tried in different fields than I worked in so they were more applicable to my application. Being a resident assistant was great because I got my housing and meal plan paid for completely (saving over 10k per YEAR), plus it was good leadership experience, but adcomms don't care about that (unless if I go into Student Affairs). Consequently, worrying that the schools that did accept me are not respected programs that will leave me jobless and possibly in debt. What if I don't get in anywhere else? What if I don't succeed in the places I did get accepted to? What if nowhere offers me funding - that really means I wasn't really accepted...

Excitement: The potential of leaving the state finally. And even if not, I am taking a goddamn roadtrip at some point. I was really hoping that would be across the country to move to California and make stops at all the landmarks along the way. But even if it isn't, I am so excited to be in my car and not tied down to a place for at least a week, just travelling with the windows down and music blasting. I'm already making a playlist and prepping my car. I love driving. Also, excitement of this season being OVER and GRADUATION! Also, the POIs I've spoken to at one of the programs I've been accepted to are REALLY cool, and we're having on-going conversations. If they're actually a decent program and I'm not just succumbing to imposter syndrome, and if they offer me full funding (info on that to come soon, ANOTHER worry...) it could be a really great fit. But it all comes down to funding.

Edited by literalturtle

Worry:  my last PhD program (Cornell) started sending out acceptances on the 20th and strangely-given how totally awesome I am-I haven't gotten one yet!  Also strange, only 2 acceptances posted so far and neither has been claimed by anyone in the history forum.  Hopefully the POIs will get more out this weekend and some of us will get some good news.  ?

Excitement:  I have 2 backup plans in place now for the next year and both could be really good experiences, even if they're not a PhD program.

Worries- So I got a acceptances from two universities and everything is great but the only anxiety I have is about financial aid. Studying in the US is expensive and although my parents are extremely supportive, I just do not want to put a lot of burden on their shoulders. 

Excitement- I feel great envisioning myself become a part of the rarefied research community and making my parents proud.  

Worries: I'm still under department review for my first choice program. I've seen that people have moved up for acceptances yet I am still stuck at the same place for nearly 3 months now. In general i dont know how to hell im going to fund my studies but I know I must go away for my personal well being and career. 

Excitement: I have one program locked down which I would be happy to attend. I also may be getting an acceptance to another top school because my application has moved up. (fingers crossed)

Excitement: I got a full tuition scholarship to Villanova! 

Worries: I now have to decide between two programs. I'm heavily leaning one way but I'm worried that it's too early to make a choice.

Excitement: My proposal got accepted for a conference in Vancouver, BC this summer.

Worries: I don't know if I'll be able to fund it. I will have graduated from my current university and won't be a registered student at my future university. I hope that my current university will fund me on the basis that I am currently registered this term...fingers crossed. 

Excitement: I got accepted to Cornell with a great funding package!

Worries: Even though I’ve gotten into a great program, I’m still anxiously waiting for more than half of the programs I applied to get back to me. Also worried that by now, I won’t be able to attend visit weekends to make a well informed decision if I end up being accepted elsewhere.

Excitement: I got accepted to one of my top choices!

Worries: The decision-making is proving to be a task. I wish I knew all the variables that will affect my future going into any one university. Actually, I just wish I knew legit soothsayers. 

Worry: Starting to see more results for schools I applied to and I haven't heart anything from them...

Excitement: I'm going to grad school no matter what! I just really want to see all my options and go from there.

Excitement: I was recently accepted to a program I almost didn't apply to. It went from not being on my radar, to being a potentially decent option that I applied to on a whim, to being invited to visit, to being one of my top choices. Now there is a very good chance it might be the one I attend. Crazy how these things work out. I am very relieved to finally be rid of the uncertainty of acceptance, especially after being completely shut out last year. 

Worries: I am hoping I can control myself from just accepting my one offer and moving on with my life. There are still a couple of choices I could hear from that, if offered acceptance, would make my decision very difficult. They say having to make a tough decision with multiple exciting offers is a good problem to have. However, my anxiety is pretty much over it. I just want to have the outstanding decisions sent out already. If I get rejected everywhere else, at least my choice will be easy and I'll be happy with it. If one or two specific choices end up accepting me, I am not looking forward to the stress of weighing options. I am aware of my immense privilege to be saying this, but I don't know how much more of this feeling of accelerated aging I can take.

Worries: I got into one fully funded program that I really already love, as well as another great program that I probably won't be able to attend because I'm not sure the funding is going to be great. While these are great things, and I am certainly leaning toward the one at which I have already secured funding, I just--feel like I don't really deserve it. I know, impostor syndrome and all that. But I just feel so upset about how I feel that it's hard to concentrate on work or anything else. I just feel like at any moment that program is going to discover what a mistake they'd made and decide they don't want me. From what I understand, I was one of just a handful of poets accepted. That humbles me. But it also makes me feel incredibly worried that perhaps I somehow slipped in even though I don't really deserve it.

Excitement: This process is almost over, and I do have some great options to consider. While I'm still waiting on two more responses, both of which I'm pretty sure are rejections, I am for sure going to grad school in the fall, which means I don't have to repeat this soul-destroying process in 2020 and harass my professors for recommendations again. 

Edited by Conure

Wow, I am so happy I found this thread.

Worries: I applied to two schools that are probably the hardest programs to get into in Canada, and a third that I picked more for the location than the program itself (so stupid). My CGPA is not great at all, but I've gotten all A's in my last two years of my undergrad and I have relevant research and work experience. For some reason, I never considered how I was going to fund grad school, and I missed a lot of the funding deadlines. I'm just so nervous that I won't get in anywhere and am stressing about what I will do next year if I'm not successful.

Excitement: I am SO passionate about what I'm studying, and the thought of potentially getting accepted makes me giddy. The wait is almost over and I'm just ready to start a new chapter of my life in a new city! 

This is such a great thread!!

Worries: I'm nervous about funding from my top school, which is the school where I'm currently finishing my undergrad. Thankfully I can get a tuition discount, an assistantship, and hopefully have more opportunities in the city that will offset potentially higher tuition.

Excitement: I'm so excited to finally be able to say I'm staying here for another two years. I feel like I'm in the middle of something very important in my work and development with a mentor who means so much to me and my work. He told me about two other opportunities he wants me to have in the coming years that are both VERY exciting. I'm looking forward to having the process done with! Also hopefully getting acceptances from other schools could help get more funding from this school.

Excitement: It's already March. That means primarily one thing: DECISIONS!

Worries: It's already March. That means primarily one thing: DECISIONS! I'm worried that: a. I won't get into any of the programmes; b. I'm going to be waitlisted but ultimately rejected; c. I'll receive acceptance without a scholarship; and d. My life is ruined.

It is now March, I applied to a PhD program in January. I called and the Grad School said they did not receive anything yet from the department. I am now stressing and hoping for a notification this upcoming week. How long does a decision usually take?

Edited by BooksFoodie

On 3/1/2019 at 10:21 PM, DerÜbermensch said:

Excitement: It's already March. That means primarily one thing: DECISIONS!

Worries: It's already March. That means primarily one thing: DECISIONS! I'm worried that: a. I won't get into any of the programmes; b. I'm going to be waitlisted but ultimately rejected; c. I'll receive acceptance without a scholarship; and d. My life is ruined.

I should probably be telling myself this, but keep calm. You worked hard to get to this point and you are smart and amazing either way. 

Worries: I don't get into the program I'm waitlisted at, and if I don't get funding at any of the ones I've been accepted to, I can't afford to go to any of the programs I've been accepted to. And I'd have to repeat this process all over again. 

Excitement: actually being waitlisted and accepted at some programs. I never thought I would be able to put going to graduate school on my list of accomplishments. 

Worries: So I have a masters from my country and I don't think I will get accepted in a phd, but someone tolde me that at least in their country a foreigner with a masters is kinda viewed as too qualified for a masters and not qualified enough for a phd, hopefully that guy was just a horrible person.

2 hours ago, mntfr said:

hopefully that guy was just a horrible person

Unless he's worked on multiple graduate admissions committees, he's just an asshole.  Ignore him.

15 hours ago, fortsibut said:

Worries:  I won't receive enough funding to justify attending.

Sure you'll be in more debt for your 2nd masters, but use that time to really get in close with professors and the graduate admissions committee and when you apply to continue on to your PhD, you knocked their socks off before so their decision is an easy one.

On 3/1/2019 at 7:21 PM, DerÜbermensch said:

a. I won't get into any of the programmes; b. I'm going to be waitlisted but ultimately rejected; c. I'll receive acceptance without a scholarship; and d. My life is ruined. 

I'll assume you're German.  While the first 3 are all possible outcomes, part d is not true.  If you get rejected, brush yourself off and spend the next 6 months cleaning up your application and work on making a better application next year.  But you also forgot part e. You get accepted for a great programme with funding and you knock out of the park.

I was recently interviewed by a professor for graduate admissions, and she offered me a junior research assistant position, requesting for some additional information to help her make her decision for both admission to the graduate program and the research assistant position. She said in her email that my documents were "very clear" to her, and that she was glad that I'm open to taking the position if it is offered to me. However, I do not know how good my chances of getting accepted for both are.

This is soooo real, but anyway I also need to vent some worries and excitements:

Worries: I'm an international applicant. This means that standardized tests are pretty new to me and well, although I've been working with US-based nonprofits on research assistantships for the past 4 years, my TOEFL scores were pretty mediocre. GRE... I can't even talk about it. I come from Venezuela, do you know how hard is to get your transcripts and paperwork from your university when they've been on strike for months + current political chaos + all my family is there + applications fees are too dam high y'all. I moved to Mexico because my J1 expired and not knowing what will happen next is scary. 

Excitements: after having worked for 4 years on public health projects I think this is the right moment to do it! I periodically read the coursework and I think YASSS this is what I want to learn!!! I also have good friends in the cities where the unis I've applied are located. I think that's a good thing to consider :D

Best of luck to you all!