Ford Fellowship

DevelopingThoughts

1 hour ago, trollsloot said:

Haha, I submitted mine at 4:59. Forgot to fill out the personal info form and had to quickly fill it out. Too close.

Do we need 4 letters for a competitive application?

I had the same question last year, but I think quality matters a lot more than quantity. I know people who have won the fellowship award with just 3 letters.

Edited by csot

• 4 weeks later...

I can't go visit as we're in two different states. I've emailed him daily since the first and he's had some family trouble which I sympathize with, but I asked about this letter in October :( I just feel really let down. I emailed again this morning and he said he would have it in before the deadline, but it's 2:53 and I don't know...That's disheartening. But there's always next year 

@kiki_2_4 This happened to me last year. My only recommender from my current institution was dealing with personal health issue and misread that it was 5pm eastern standard instead of pacific. I was devastated because my feedback mentioned the lack of recommender from the current institution. This year I managed to get 5 recommenders just in case and told them the deadline was the day before the actual deadline. 

He turned it in at 4:48pm y'all! Cutting it close but still in there! I actually have really high hopes now. I have a strong application I think which is why I was so disappointed at the thought of not being considered. I hope everyone that has posted here is selected. Good luck to you all?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Question: If I am awarded and I accept, am I permitted to have outside employment? I know I can't accept a fellowship or assistantship at my Uni unless it supplements but could I have a part time elsewhere?

14 hours ago, csot said:

Does anyone know if the government shutdown is going to delay when we find out the results? The waiting game is hard as it is.

NASEM is private, though they do get some indirect funding from federal gov so it's unclear.

^I applied last year and they said "late March" and I remember results being emailed out the last weekday of the month. 

Also applied again this year! Fingers crossed and good luck to everyone!