I is stressed *Non-Judgmental Space for PhD Applicants*

17 hours ago, Psyhopeful said:

So, awkward moment of the day, one of my current professors convinced me to apply to the Ph.D. program in his department at my current school last minute. He thought I had a good shot so I said okay. Today after class he comes up to shake my hand to congratulate me on my admission except... I haven’t been? My application still says out for review. And to make it worse instead of saying, “oh they haven’t told you yet? Yes! You’re in!” He says he must’ve made a mistake, and that the head of the committee had told him something and he’d thought it was me, but he wasn’t sure what name he said and he was sorry... so I guess I didn’t get in? But also, maybe I did, since he isn’t really sure what happened? Wtf? Now I’m stalking the results page to see if they did send out acceptances because I have no freaking idea what to think.

This is painful... I hope you find out soon!

I feel incredibly fortunate. I have been accepted to a program that I would be happy to attend. I also just submitted a manuscript that I have been working on forever. But, the process is not going to be over for at least a month, and I am dreading everything. I am so ready for this to be over. 

On 2/13/2019 at 12:57 PM, today.is.not.the.day said:

This is painful... I hope you find out soon!

Me too! I heard that the program is trying to secure funding before sending out the decisions, which means I still don't know for sure if I'm in or not. On the plus side, I'm about to go to another class with the professor, so that will be nice and awkward! I think I'll just sit in the back.

32 minutes ago, Psyhopeful said:

Me too! I heard that the program is trying to secure funding before sending out the decisions, which means I still don't know for sure if I'm in or not. On the plus side, I'm about to go to another class with the professor, so that will be nice and awkward! I think I'll just sit in the back.

Well, if they did not send out any decisions, it could still be you (versus just having confused you) ? Hope dies last.

So I did get into the program! The admissions office made a typo in my email address. They actually sent the formal offer LAST FRIDAY and cc’d my professor on it and I only found out to day when the director of the program forwarded it to my school account wondering if I’d gotten it! Woohoo!

1 minute ago, Psyhopeful said:

So I did get into the program! The admissions office made a typo in my email address. They actually sent the formal offer LAST FRIDAY and cc’d my professor on it and I only found out to day when the director of the program forwarded it to my school account wondering if I’d gotten it! Woohoo!

I'm glad! Congrats, I'm glad it was just a mix-up on their end!

For people who attended the interview at DePaul University, could you PM me please? DePaul is one of my top choices and I have some questions that I hope to discuss with you all!

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Psyhopeful said:

Awesome! Congratulations

11 minutes ago, FreudEgg said:

Real talk: can some one plz recommend comfy/ professional/ cute women’s shoes I can wear to interviews and walk around in without having my toes fall off? 

This is v important. How do I give a good elevator speech when my toes are purple and my blisters have blisters? 

Blowfish make great flats! 

28 minutes ago, FreudEgg said:

Real talk: can some one plz recommend comfy/ professional/ cute women’s shoes I can wear to interviews and walk around in without having my toes fall off? 

This is v important. How do I give a good elevator speech when my toes are purple and my blisters have blisters? 

Rothy's! They are a bit expensive but so comfy and mine have held up for more than a year of daily use so far. The fact that they are machine washable doesn't hurt either...

42 minutes ago, FreudEgg said:

Look up Rasolli career pumps on Groupon! The ones with low heels are SUPER comfy while also looking very professional. 

29 minutes ago, kerplunk said:

Rothy's! They are a bit expensive but so comfy and mine have held up for more than a year of daily use so far. The fact that they are machine washable doesn't hurt either...

Yes! I have a pair on their way to me- I’m glad you like yours! I’ve heard good things. 

17 minutes ago, dancedementia said:

Look up Rasolli career pumps on Groupon! The ones with low heels are SUPER comfy while also looking very professional. 

Ok perfect, thank you. I’ll check them out!! 

so, I got denied from 11 out of 13 programs. I am waiting on one PhD and one masters program. my depression has definitely set in and I just feel so lost. i've slept so much ever since finding out. 

i just feel really hopeless and have no idea what to do because my initial plan was migrate with my family as we moved down south, but we might not be doing that. i'm worries that even applying for a last minute masters program might break me because if i don't get in, then it may be the last straw. i don't feel stressed, i feel helpless and hopeless

Just now, DaphneBanks said:

so, I got denied from 11 out of 13 programs. I am waiting on one PhD and one masters program. my depression has definitely set in and I just feel so lost. i've slept so much ever since finding out. 

i just feel really hopeless and have no idea what to do because my initial plan was migrate with my family as we moved down south, but we might not be doing that. i'm worries that even applying for a last minute masters program might break me because if i don't get in, then it may be the last straw. i don't feel stressed, i feel helpless and hopeless

For anyone reading this: Please do seek out professional help if you feel your emotions and/or stress is becoming overwhelming. You do not have to suffer with these thoughts alone.

Being rejected from programs, especially in your first application rounds, is very normal. I recommend for you to look around at the feedback some of us have given to applicants across these threads who are taking rejections very personally.

Feel free to PM me if you want to debrief a little bit more? I have given so much personal feedback to fellow applicants on here who were rejected across the board. 

I went through this process three times, and really learned about myself and how to change my relationship with rejections. 

25 minutes ago, checkingmyemail said:

For anyone reading this: Please do seek out professional help if you feel your emotions and/or stress is becoming overwhelming. You do not have to suffer with these thoughts alone.

Being rejected from programs, especially in your first application rounds, is very normal. I recommend for you to look around at the feedback some of us have given to applicants across these threads who are taking rejections very personally.

Feel free to PM me if you want to debrief a little bit more? I have given so much personal feedback to fellow applicants on here who were rejected across the board. 

I went through this process three times, and really learned about myself and how to change my relationship with rejections. 

Agreed. Unfortunately, rejection is just the name of the game in this field. Once you finally get accepted, you then get rejected from externship sites, internship sites, journals, post-docs....

You definitely need to get used the feeling and learn how to persevere. 

27 minutes ago, DaphneBanks said:

18 minutes ago, checkingmyemail said:

This is such great advice. I got rejected from all but one school the first time I applied. I knew that school wasn’t the right choice for me, but I went anyway because I was so sad and dejected. I made it for a year before withdrawing and deciding I was NOT going to be a psychologist. I became a bartender, a buyer for a clothing store, and then became a social worker (which I loved tbh). Anyway, TEN years later, I’m reapplying. I haven’t gotten in anywhere at this point, but my outlook is so different. It is such a crazy, competitive, unfair, sometimes nonsense, heartbreaking process. Don’t get me wrong, I’ll be sad if I don’t get in (SO SAD), but I have learned more about myself and what I want personally and professionally over the last ten years than I would have if I had just gotten in. I’ve moved a ton, made a family, made mistakes, learned, helped people, helped myself, and came back to psychology because I love it & I’m going to keep on trying even if it doesn’t work out for me this time. Your worth isn’t defined by this, even though it may feel that way. You are more than this and you may be so surprised by all you can accomplish by taking some more time before going to a program. You have your WHOLE LIFE to be a psychologist. It will always be there whether it begins this year, next, or in ten (hi!), or twenty, or whatever!! Rejection hurts. But as someone who was so hurt that I literally needed a break from the field, I can tell you that it heals, and I truly feel like in my case, it was for the best (corny AF but true!). Give yourself a hug, put on a great movie (Crazy Rich Asians is a great feel good movie), pour yourself some wine, and remind yourself that you are a rockstar no matter what. 

32 minutes ago, checkingmyemail said:

Also this is SO kind of you. It makes my heart happy that you’re becoming a psychologist ❤️

On 2/16/2019 at 2:54 PM, FreudEgg said:

I got Aldo brand loafer flats and wore them to an interview where they emphasized that there would be a lot of walking. I felt like the loafer style looked a little more professional than regular flats and they were way comfier than when I wore heels to the first interview !