I is stressed *Non-Judgmental Space for PhD Applicants*

2 hours ago, Fabretti said:

Same here. I will be sticking with the master's program in my home university (in Brazil). People say PhD is what matters most. What about you?

Yeah I also am considering applying to a few masters programs here in Israel. I will also continue working in the lab I work at now. This whole process is so stressful and emotionally taxing :(.

11 hours ago, 41l1!I2 said:

Gotta say sweet words to keep your sidepieces happy enough to stick around. 

Would you be okay being a backup plan if they didn’t flatter you? Less likely. I don’t blame professors for that strategy but I’m done taking their word at face value. 

Been waitlisted or rejected after compliments too many times.

This. #middlefinger

3 minutes ago, mm2234 said:

I interviewed on Feb 8 and haven’t heard back yet... when would be a reasonable time to reach out for an update? ?

I’d say maybe like a month after? So like maybe in the middle of March if you don’t hear back. 

On 2/19/2019 at 8:41 PM, ClinPsych2019 said:

After sending a thank you email to a POI after an interview, I got a really promising email back from her with phrases like "It was such a pleasure to meet with you" and "I am incredibly impressed with all the work you have done and also feel that your research interests are a great fit with my lab" and then she said she plans to touch base with me soon. Sounds super promising but now have heard NOTHING from her since then and I'm going crazy and now I'm not sure what to think! This process is torture!!!

I've actually had this happen a couple of times and all of those instances resulted very positively for me! I would say just try to stay positive : )

21 hours ago, HAC said:

Yeah I also am considering applying to a few masters programs here in Israel. I will also continue working in the lab I work at now. This whole process is so stressful and emotionally taxing :(.

It is worth to have something guaranteed. At least you don't stop stuying, which is not interesting for your CV. That's how I'm taking this whole thing now... trying not to freak out and sticking with this master. I'm going to try publishing as hard as I can, maybe with 2 papers in very good international journals it makes things easier to a get to a good Ph.D.

Edited by Fabretti
Some words were missing.

On 2/20/2019 at 8:34 AM, FreudEgg said:

Ah thanks, I’m trying to think about it like that. But I am reading into EVERYTHING

and maybe day of is a good thing! Bc then you don’t have extra time to read into things like me ? good luck! 

I guess there are positives to both ways! But try to relax (I know easier said than done) and you'll do great! If your POI wasn't interested you wouldn't be there. So chin up :) 

2 minutes ago, Fabretti said:

It is worth to have something guaranteed. At least you don't stop stuying, which is not interesting for your CV. That's how I'm taking this whole thing now... trying not to freak out and sticking with this master. I'm going to try publishing as hard as I can, maybe with 2 papers in very good international journals it makes things easier to a get to a good Ph.D.

Yeah I think you are right about the publishing. I, too, am working on getting some of the research I have worked on published. 

So I'm currently sitting on a flight to an interview with a program I don't think I'll go to even if accepted due to financial constraints (I accepted the interview due to not having heard back from my only other interview) and guess who just read their official rejection letter from their only other PhD interview this application cycle? Yeah, this chick. I do have a master's program interview next month and I'm waiting to hear from another master's program, but after spending my entire academic career as an accelerated/ highly lauded student with professors always telling me how far I would go and how much I would succeed I'm finding that these numerous rejections are affecting my self-worth. Has anyone else struggled with this? Being the former "gifted student" now facing the reality of rejections? Of course I expected multiple rejections, but it feels like I may be facing 7/7 PhD rejections and that wasn't.... 

5 minutes ago, Katie B said:

So I'm currently sitting on a flight to an interview with a program I don't think I'll go to even if accepted due to financial constraints (I accepted the interview due to not having heard back from my only other interview) and guess who just read their official rejection letter from their only other PhD interview this application cycle? Yeah, this chick. I do have a master's program interview next month and I'm waiting to hear from another master's program, but after spending my entire academic career as an accelerated/ highly lauded student with professors always telling me how far I would go and how much I would succeed I'm finding that these numerous rejections are affecting my self-worth. Has anyone else struggled with this? Being the former "gifted student" now facing the reality of rejections? Of course I expected multiple rejections, but it feels like I may be facing 7/7 PhD rejections and that wasn't.... 

Yes, I have this happen all the time even though I don't like to talk about it. It was even worse when in one of my interviews I was told by multiple professors that they loved me and my personality and really wanted me to be accepted.... Just to get an email saying that I won't be extended an offer and most likely won't even in the future if people decline acceptance. It's really hard to stomach rejection especially when you have an interview somewhere and feel some grasp of success just to have it all taken away from you. 

How to respond to a rejection letter (from https://www.socialpsychology.org/reject.htm)

Graduate Admissions Committee

Department of Psychology
Big Deal University
Collegeville, USA

Dear Committee Members:

Thanks for your letter of March 30. After careful consideration, I regret to inform you that I am unable to accept your rejection at this time.

This year I have been particularly fortunate in receiving an unusually large number of rejection letters. With such a varied and promising field of schools, it is impossible for me to accept all refusals.

Despite your outstanding record and previous experience in rejecting applicants, I find that your rejection does not meet my current career needs. Consequently, I will begin taking classes as a graduate student in your department this August. I look forward to seeing you then.

Best of luck in rejecting future applicants.

Sincerely Yours,
[Name Withheld]

14 minutes ago, Katie B said:

I was in the same boat as you in my senior year of undergrad. While I was receiving a boatload of awards/accolades for graduating seniors at my university, I was also being rejected from PhD programs left and right. It sucked. I eventually went on to work full time for a year and get my master's before eventually trying again this year, and now I'm admitted into my top choice. Going into a master's program isn't ideal if you had your heart set on going right to PhD, but it can only help you in the end. Good luck, and keep your chin up. ?

6 minutes ago, lmk94 said:

I was in the same boat as you in my senior year of undergrad. While I was receiving a boatload of awards/accolades for graduating seniors at my university, I was also being rejected from PhD programs left and right. It sucked. I eventually went on to work full time for a year and get my master's before eventually trying again this year, and now I'm admitted into my top choice. Going into a master's program isn't ideal if you had your heart set on going right to PhD, but it can only help you in the end. Good luck, and keep your chin up. ?

TGC wouldn't let me react anymore today, but I do love this post and thank you! I'm coming off a gap year (graduated May 2018) where I worked full time gaining clinical experience and I definitely had my heart set on a PhD, but I do hope that getting a master's first will allow me to garner more research experience to make me more competitive when I eventually reapply!

1 minute ago, Katie B said:

TGC wouldn't let me react anymore today, but I do love this post and thank you! I'm coming off a gap year (graduated May 2018) where I worked full time gaining clinical experience and I definitely had my heart set on a PhD, but I do hope that getting a master's first will allow me to garner more research experience to make me more competitive when I eventually reapply!

I know it can be really tough. It's a competitive game out there, and the fact that you got interviews should reflect that you do have what it takes, but just for whatever reason other candidates fit with the POI/program just a teeny bit better. Don't lose heart. I think you're amazing for sticking it through, and getting where you are now. I think it's also impressive that you applied after graduating from undergrad so soon! I feel like I see this less and less (I literally only met 1 or 2 applicants applying straight from undergrad at my interviews this cycle, everyone else had been working/getting their Master's for a few years), and I personally have been working in research for almost 3 years before applying! With a little more experience under your belt, I'm sure you'll go far in your future attempts. ❤️

On 2/21/2019 at 2:02 PM, Katie B said:

Hi, yes. I've always been told all the cliches of "anywhere would be lucky to have you!" and friends who just don't get how competitive it is keep telling me I could have my pick of programs. And here it looks like that very much won't be the case. It would almost feel better if everyone had lower expectations of me. This is my second application cycle and I'm truly questioning whether I am making the right choice in applying for PhD and PsyD programs. Feel free to PM me if you need to vent. I freakin' get it.