I is stressed *Non-Judgmental Space for PhD Applicants*

Seconding what everyone has expressed already, the waiting game truly is worse than pre-submission. I really hate refreshing my inbox every 10 minutes and feeling powerless.

9 hours ago, petitebiscuit said:

Here’s a fun question: what is the craziest/funniest thing you’ve done in your post-submission frenzy?

My main thing (after finishing my my last exam of undergrad yesterday, yay!) since submission has been more necessary than crazy/funny: packing up my whole place in preparation for a move tomorrow! I actually have noticed that I had less opportunity to check my phone obsessively and it took my mind off things. During the process, my mom and my boyfriend's mom have both come to help us pack everything and met for the first time (we've been dating for three years), which was a little stressful! They hit it off really well though. ? 

10 hours ago, petitebiscuit said:

Here’s a fun question: what is the craziest/funniest thing you’ve done in your post-submission frenzy?

I bought Zelda: Breath of the Wild and so far have logged 100+ hours of gameplay since December 1. I'm thriving, clearly. 

Unrelated but: Everyone's pets are so cute!! Thank you for sharing their beautiful faces :) 

I’m sure some of you have seen the CV of Failures, but I wanted to share it anyway because it reminds me that a rejection isn’t the end of the line for us. Even if we don’t get accepted this time around, it doesn’t mean that we won’t make it eventually. I know it’s far too early to know the status of our applications, but a lot of us are anxiously anticipating results knowing that there is a slim probability we will be the lucky ones selected by the adcomms. So I just wanted to share this as inspiration for all of us that the road to success is paved with some failure along the way. 

https://www.princeton.edu/~joha/Johannes_Haushofer_CV_of_Failures.pdf

1 hour ago, HAC said:

I’m sure some of you have seen the CV of Failures, but I wanted to share it anyway because it reminds me that a rejection isn’t the end of the line for us. Even if we don’t get accepted this time around, it doesn’t mean that we won’t make it eventually. I know it’s far too early to know the status of our applications, but a lot of us are anxiously anticipating results knowing that there is a slim probability we will be the lucky ones selected by the adcomms. So I just wanted to share this as inspiration for all of us that the road to success is paved with some failure along the way. 

https://www.princeton.edu/~joha/Johannes_Haushofer_CV_of_Failures.pdf

I like this a lot. 

20 hours ago, petitebiscuit said:

I need the peppermint hot cocoa recipe please! As a fellow sugar addict, I have a sincere respect for anyone who knows the struggle.

It's from this magazine called baking from scratch! I would highly recommend buying their holiday cookie issue, for some reason looking at all the beautiful baked goods is therapeutic, lol. The actual name of the cookies are chocolate peppermint cookies (dunno where I got hot chocolate from, mush brain) and they turned out sooo good. Very addicting. If you can't find it on the interwebs let me know and I can send you a pic!

9 hours ago, DevelopingThoughts said:

I’ve obsessively been baking

Im an RA to a bunch of freshmen so they’re loving it haha 

I've been obsessively baking too! It calms my nerves, and gets my mind focused on something else

*Yawn* How is everyone feeling this lovely morning? My inbox is still Sahara dry since December 1st. I have a feeling all invites for the 4-6 programs I'm stalking are coming out this week. An emotional wreck all over.

On the plus side, I was introduced to the Chair for my #1 program this week by my current PI. They're BFFs and have been working with each other for over a decade, and we had a pleasant convo/pre-formal interview/chit-chat in person. It was pretty unbelievable how perfect our meeting went. So I got that going on for me.... Which my pessimistic self is telling me after-the-fact it means absolutely nothing at all LOL!

Edited by checkingmyemail

19 minutes ago, checkingmyemail said:

*Yawn* How is everyone feeling this lovely morning? My inbox is still Sahara dry since December 1st. I have a feeling all invites for the 4-6 programs I'm stalking are coming out this week. An emotional wreck all over.

On the plus side, I was introduced to the Chair for my #1 program this week by my current PI. They're BFFs and have been working with each other for over a decade, and we had a pleasant convo/pre-formal interview/chit-chat in person. It was pretty unbelievable how perfect our meeting went. So I got that going on for me.... Which my pessimistic self is telling me after-the-fact it means absolutely nothing at all LOL!

Wow that is awesome, I am sure it means something! You can’t beat a professional connection like that. 

39 minutes ago, HAC said:

Wow that is awesome, I am sure it means something! You can’t beat a professional connection like that. 

As a previously-rejected applicant :), I've learned that Academia and clinical psychology specifically is all about connections. Who are you working for; who's advocating for you and who's recommending you are all crucial in interviews and admissions, apparently... Wish I would've known this two app rounds ago LOL

Edited by checkingmyemail

Just here to lend some support -- I feel your pain.  Notice Snape in my profile pic.  When I applied for the first time in 2016, I had not read Harry Potter because I was already an adult when the first book was released.  Someone clued me in to the error of my ways and I spent 2 weeks reading the entire series.  It is literally the only thing that kept me sane during that time.   J.K. Rowling is getting a line in my dissertation acknowledgments :)  

Good luck to all of you.  And no matter what happens this application season, keep trying.  I got rejected from my dream school in 2016 with not even an interview.  I did get accepted to a master's program, did that, and now I am in that dream program and I *love* it. 

I was so busy trying to get my apps in, keep up with school, and take care of my kid and I had no idea responses would be coming so soon. I was looking forward to a stress free winter break and then I got my first interview weekend invitation, found this forum, and discovered that my break would not be stress free at all! My original plan had been finally playing Assassain’s Creed Odyssey and I’m sticking to it, but with frequent stops to check my email. 

Edited by Psyhopeful

44 minutes ago, Psyhopeful said:

I was so busy trying to get my apps in, keep up with school, and take care of my kid and I had no idea responses would be coming so soon. I was looking forward to a stress free winter break and then I got my first interview weekend invitation, found this forum, and discovered that my break would not be stress free at all! My original plan had been finally playing Assassain’s Creed Odyssey and I’m sticking to it, but with frequent stops to check my email. 

I love Assassin’s Creed Odyssey! I bought it right when it came out but hadn't had much time to play it since applications hit so quickly after. Now that all of that is over all I’ve been doing with my break is play Odyssey and stress bake!

10 minutes ago, SoldierOn said:

I love Assassin’s Creed Odyssey! I bought it right when it came out but hadn't had much time to play it since applications hit so quickly after. Now that all of that is over all I’ve been doing with my break is play Odyssey and stress bake!

Yay! I’ve had it since it came out too. I’m glad to hear it’s as good as I thought it would be. 

I'm pretty sure this is the first time in my life I've ever looked forward to a Monday. At least once it's a weekday there's a chance I'll hear back from some schools. Hope y'all are hanging in there! ? 

Thank you for all the wonderful pet pictures! I'm visiting family out of state on Wednesday and will be out of town for the rest of the month. I'm hoping the change of scenery and routine will help calm the nerves and distract me from the disappointment that is my inbox. Here's my adventurous mutt, Jambi :)

image1.jpeg

1 hour ago, letsgetclinicalclinical said:

???

0FD18660-8D83-46D0-8E7C-C67639A3B530.jpeg

Needed some encourage mint today! Anyone else feeling extra pressure since this is the last week before universities begin their breaks? Realistically I know many programs haven't sent out interview invites yet, but the panic voice in my brain is still on red alert lol. 

Are all interview invitations sent at once from a given program? In other words, if University X sends out a bunch of invitations in Week 1, what're the chances that in Week 3, additional applicants will be invited to interview?