I is stressed *Non-Judgmental Space for PhD Applicants*

I have been so stressed about this process that I have what I assume to be a stress-induced cystic acne breakout that I haven't experienced since high school. ?

My go-to stress reliever is taking indoor cycling classes at the gym, which definitely helps a lot but is only an hour out of my day. 

14 minutes ago, lmk94 said:

I have been so stressed about this process that I have what I assume to be a stress-induced cystic acne breakout that I haven't experienced since high school. ?

My go-to stress reliever is taking indoor cycling classes at the gym, which definitely helps a lot but is only an hour out of my day. 

My 1st application round caused this. Literally. It was so horrific, entire face and neck, completely traumatized from that application round/experience.
Drink lots of water, make lots of fruit/veggie smoothies, remove everything dairy, and engage in lots of positive rewarding (as difficult as it may be).

What’s positively killing me is that because of a technical glitch two of my very top schools didn’t transfer over my transcripts to my faculty dept for review or either could not find my GRE scores. I spent hours on the phone with admissions offices last week and many emails later it seems to have all worked out but it’s up in the air if it will ultimately hurt me that it was only worked out last week and not sooner. 

I’m looking forward to this weekend ending just so I can check my inbox on Monday. ((Not that I am not currently checking it because I AM)) 

I had notifications for this website turned on to email me when posts were made on certain topics and I had to turn that off immediately as I was getting “Phantom vibration syndrome” lol. This whole process is like an anxiety hierarchy. -you get more and more anxious waiting for an email to be asked for an interview. -then when you get an interview invite you stress over the actual interview and waiting on D-Day interview weekend -then what, idk how long it takes after the interview to find out, do they tell you before you leave or make you wait another week or more? THEN once you actually get in (YAY!) ... graduate school starts in what six months from now? And that’s 5-7 years of ongoing hellish stress and anxiety. 

If I was a smart person. I would have never joined this site until after getting invited lol... in a perfect world I would be able to forget about this whole process until one day, “oh, look at that! X and Y and Z sent me interview invites, huh, it’s already February? My how the time flies!” BUT NO I’m here because I guess I’m a masochist hahah well this killed ten minutes. 

2 hours ago, psycash said:

What’s positively killing me is that because of a technical glitch two of my very top schools didn’t transfer over my transcripts to my faculty dept for review or either could not find my GRE scores. I spent hours on the phone with admissions offices last week and many emails later it seems to have all worked out but it’s up in the air if it will ultimately hurt me that it was only worked out last week and not sooner. 

I’m looking forward to this weekend ending just so I can check my inbox on Monday. ((Not that I am not currently checking it because I AM)) 

I had notifications for this website turned on to email me when posts were made on certain topics and I had to turn that off immediately as I was getting “Phantom vibration syndrome” lol. This whole process is like an anxiety hierarchy. -you get more and more anxious waiting for an email to be asked for an interview. -then when you get an interview invite you stress over the actual interview and waiting on D-Day interview weekend -then what, idk how long it takes after the interview to find out, do they tell you before you leave or make you wait another week or more? THEN once you actually get in (YAY!) ... graduate school starts in what six months from now? And that’s 5-7 years of ongoing hellish stress and anxiety. 

If I was a smart person. I would have never joined this site until after getting invited lol... in a perfect world I would be able to forget about this whole process until one day, “oh, look at that! X and Y and Z sent me interview invites, huh, it’s already February? My how the time flies!” BUT NO I’m here because I guess I’m a masochist hahah well this killed ten minutes. 

Haha! I hear ya! I have my first interview (hopefully not my last) this Tuesday and Wednesday. I fly out on Monday and have spent the last couple of days prepping for it so at least that has helped to kill time. However, that hasn’t stopped me from checking my email either! Thinking of creating a thread for interview reviews!

5 hours ago, psycash said:

If it makes you feel better, I had two different transcript issues with two different schools. Plus another where my GRE scores were going to arrive late. All assured me that my application would be reviewed even without the files (which they did eventually get) so you should be fine. I took my GRE 17 days before most of my deadlines and the one school that made it sound as if they would throw your app in the virtual trash if they didn’t have everything by the 1st invited me to interview weekend, and my scores arrived on the 3rd. So try not to stress on that! 

Hello all, I have a super specific problem/fear and appreciate any help I can get on the matter!

So I live in a state at an elevation of essentially 0, and am interviewing at a school which is an elevation of 7,000 feet (which is 2,000 feet higher than Denver). The problem is that I get altitude sickness, and am terrified of not having time for my body to adjust and ending up feeling sick/faint/whatever and not being at the top of my game for interviews. I'm considering flying in the night before the interviews (which start in the evening) so that I can have around 24 hours for my body to adjust and thus not faint or throw up on anyone. 

What I'm worried about is that my POI will think I'm a crazy person for doing something like this, and/or that this will make things more difficult for them as they have offered me housing for the time period of the actual interviews. I would clearly not ask them to house me during this extra day and am more than willing to scrape together the money to have the extra night. But I'm also a bit worried they will think that this shows I'm not cut out for the geographical location.. Any thoughts/advice? Has anyone else had to account for altitude sickness at interviews?

18 minutes ago, spookycat said:

Hello all, I have a super specific problem/fear and appreciate any help I can get on the matter!

So I live in a state at an elevation of essentially 0, and am interviewing at a school which is an elevation of 7,000 feet (which is 2,000 feet higher than Denver). The problem is that I get altitude sickness, and am terrified of not having time for my body to adjust and ending up feeling sick/faint/whatever and not being at the top of my game for interviews. I'm considering flying in the night before the interviews (which start in the evening) so that I can have around 24 hours for my body to adjust and thus not faint or throw up on anyone. 

What I'm worried about is that my POI will think I'm a crazy person for doing something like this, and/or that this will make things more difficult for them as they have offered me housing for the time period of the actual interviews. I would clearly not ask them to house me during this extra day and am more than willing to scrape together the money to have the extra night. But I'm also a bit worried they will think that this shows I'm not cut out for the geographical location.. Any thoughts/advice? Has anyone else had to account for altitude sickness at interviews?

I think this is smart if you know you don’t deal well with high altitudes. I don’t think you would look crazy. Even people who live there have to readjust after time away. I’m sure they will understand. I think in general being honest is best. You look crazy when you try to come up with stuff to cover the real reason. You could also say you’re coming a day or two early for vacation if you really don’t want to tell. 

40 minutes ago, spookycat said:

Flying in a day or two early (if you can) is a good idea.  Also, talk to your doctor.  There are some prescription medications that can help with altitude sickness that might be a fit for your situation.

1 hour ago, spookycat said:

It makes you look conscientious to prepare in advance and notify them of these accommodations. I don't think they would see you as a weak person, you might be overthinking it.

6 hours ago, spookycat said:

I don't think they will judge you at all for this, it's something pretty beyond your control, and something that a lot of people experience when they move to higher elevations. Make sure you drink a lot of water the week leading up the interview, as that is what will help you the most with adjusting to altitude!  It can also be helpful if there is any way to spend your first night at a less high altitude (but higher than you are used to).  The obviously depends on where you are flying into, but what would be ideal would be to stay your first night somewhere that is 4000-5000 ft and then your second night at the full altitude and then have your interview the 3rd day.  However, I know that is a lot of extra time!  That gradual progression does help your body adjust though!  Good luck :) 

So, I work for a government research lab. Due to the shutdown, I have not been to work in three weeks. I’ve cleaned and purged every inch of my house, walked my dogs a million times, watched every episode and movie I needed to catch up, etc. Not having work to distract me from this stress is starting to catch up. Especially now that the holidays are over and everyone else has resumed their normal life. Kind of losing my mind here. SOS.

I know it's dangerous to fall in love with one particular program but damn I really, REALLY love my top choice school. Last year they had ~700 applicants and took 13, so the odds are not looking to be in my favour (that's <2% acceptance!) But a girl can dream, right? 

49 minutes ago, dancedementia said:

I know it's dangerous to fall in love with one particular program but damn I really, REALLY love my top choice school. Last year they had ~700 applicants and took 13, so the odds are not looking to be in my favour (that's <2% acceptance!) But a girl can dream, right? 

I have a very similar problem - my "reach" program was my top pick, naturally. The program is great, the research fit with my POI is so perfect, and I would be over the moon to do the work she's doing. (Not to mention the school has a great football team, is in a great location, and I would always have things to do in the area). The perks are endless.. But my GREs are lower than their averages and I haven't heard anything. 

*Insert sad music here*

26 minutes ago, spookycat said:

I have a very similar problem - my "reach" program was my top pick, naturally. The program is great, the research fit with my POI is so perfect, and I would be over the moon to do the work she's doing. (Not to mention the school has a great football team, is in a great location, and I would always have things to do in the area). The perks are endless.. But my GREs are lower than their averages and I haven't heard anything. 

*Insert sad music here*

Sending you all the good vibes!! Hopefully we both hear something soon!

So this is kind of my second round. Last year I just applied to ETSU and by some miracle I got an interview, but I ultimately was not accepted. This year I came back and applied to 8 schools, with a false sense of confidence from my interview last year. I know it's still really early and most of my schools have not given out interview requests, but I'm a mess. Last night I saw that ETSU gave out interview requests and I was not one of those people, so my heart is completely broken and I don't even know how to cope.

27 minutes ago, vlynn103 said:

So this is kind of my second round. Last year I just applied to ETSU and by some miracle I got an interview, but I ultimately was not accepted. This year I came back and applied to 8 schools, with a false sense of confidence from my interview last year. I know it's still really early and most of my schools have not given out interview requests, but I'm a mess. Last night I saw that ETSU gave out interview requests and I was not one of those people, so my heart is completely broken and I don't even know how to cope.

@humanisticPOV posted a beautiful response to feelings of failure/inadequacy/self-doubt on the General Psychology thread (wish I could just link it here lol).

Was ETSU your top choice? I know this feeling all too well- Trust me, I've been there! Rejected from my top choice, TWICE! This 3rd time around: Offered an invite! An unofficial one, at that, because my POI was so impressed with my work/experiences/etc, they met and interviewed me informally before the application round. It was insane and unexpected. 

After some time (and healing!), I think my biggest take away from this brutal process is that we all need to develop a different relationship/approach to rejections. This isn't the first time or the last time we will be experiencing rejections, unfortunately. Once you are accepted (whether this application or the next!), we will all be here again for internship applications. And for some of us, post-doc applications. And rejections will happen again and again (I've heard some of my colleagues- who are providers at my clinic, state that internship rejections suck even more, lol). Find comfort in knowing that there are a lot of us who've been there before. This too shall pass! ❤️ 

3 hours ago, checkingmyemail said:

@humanisticPOV posted a beautiful response to feelings of failure/inadequacy/self-doubt on the General Psychology thread (wish I could just link it here lol).

Was ETSU your top choice? I know this feeling all too well- Trust me, I've been there! Rejected from my top choice, TWICE! This 3rd time around: Offered an invite! An unofficial one, at that, because my POI was so impressed with my work/experiences/etc, they met and interviewed me informally before the application round. It was insane and unexpected. 

After some time (and healing!), I think my biggest take away from this brutal process is that we all need to develop a different relationship/approach to rejections. This isn't the first time or the last time we will be experiencing rejections, unfortunately. Once you are accepted (whether this application or the next!), we will all be here again for internship applications. And for some of us, post-doc applications. And rejections will happen again and again (I've heard some of my colleagues- who are providers at my clinic, state that internship rejections suck even more, lol). Find comfort in knowing that there are a lot of us who've been there before. This too shall pass! ❤️ 

Thank you for this. ETSU was my top choice just because I love the faculty and their mission, but I know I would be a good fit elsewhere. It is crazy how much psychologists and other mental health professionals are needed and yet theres not enough room for all of us to get through school. 

Why am I checking the status pages for each of my applications every day?  There's not going to be any good news posted there - that's going to come through email or a phone call.  And if it's bad news, it's going to come to my email soon enough.  I know this, and yet I do it anyway.

11 minutes ago, topsailpsych said:

Why am I checking the status pages for each of my applications every day?  There's not going to be any good news posted there - that's going to come through email or a phone call.  And if it's bad news, it's going to come to my email soon enough.  I know this, and yet I do it anyway.

Same here ?? but I can’t help but refresh the results page over and over again 

11 minutes ago, topsailpsych said:

The last school (#1, sometimes #2, depending on my mood, which varies by the minute) I'm waiting to hear from historically sends out invites this week. I'm a mess. I just want this to be OVER!!!!!!