I is stressed *Non-Judgmental Space for PhD Applicants*

So. I know Drexel interviews are like, two days from now.

And I know I am probably rejected with 99.999999% certainty (because duh, interviews in 2 days).

But some dumb part of my brain is still thinking, "Wait but what if they just messed up and they really meant to invite you?!?!?!"

Haha...... ?

Edited by dancedementia

2 minutes ago, dancedementia said:

So. I know Drexel interviews are like, two days from now.

And I know I am probably rejected with 99.999999% certainty (because duh, interviews in 2 days).

But some dumb part of my brain is still thinking, "Wait but what if they just messed up and they really meant to invite you?!?!?!"

Haha...... ?

Same, it’s such a weird feeling. Like you have this false sense of hope but at the same time the sadness and anxiety of knowing you’re most likely not going to have a chance (dunno if that holds true for you or not but I definitely sympathize).

4 minutes ago, Keyz said:

Same, it’s such a weird feeling. Like you have this false sense of hope but at the same time the sadness and anxiety of knowing you’re most likely not going to have a chance (dunno if that holds true for you or not but I definitely sympathize).

That's exactly how I feel haha. I just wish some of my programs would go ahead and reject me already - at least then I would have some finality and stop hoping.

Edited by dancedementia

17 minutes ago, dancedementia said:

That's exactly how I feel haha. I just wish some of my programs would go ahead and reject me already - at least then I would have some finality and stop hoping.

Honestly same, I weigh internally whether closure is worth it or not - probably is. The best part is when you get waitlisted because it’s basically a “well you’re not good enough but maybe you are so now wait even longer with anxiety.”

Also, I'm applying for research positions because my chances are not looking good. 

Any suggestions on who I should list as professional references? I did some research as an undergrad, but I would much prefer to list the grad student as a reference  than the professor who was in charge of the lab. Can I list the person my current supervisor at my internship even though they're field is not psych? Any insight helps!

26 minutes ago, today.is.not.the.day said:

Good morning, another potential acceptance/rejection/waitlist day....

???

This. 

One of the faculty for a top program I interviewed with told me I should expect to “hear from them soon....” immediately after interview day....... it’s been radio silence, going on 3 business days. LOL. I’m counting the hours. How soon is soon! What am I waiting for exactly?!?!?!!!!!!!

Stop playing with my emotions frfr ?

5 minutes ago, checkingmyemail said:

This. 

One of the faculty for a top program I interviewed with told me I should expect to “hear from them soon....” immediately after interview day....... it’s been radio silence, going on 3 business days. LOL. I’m counting the hours. How soon is soon! What am I waiting for exactly?!?!?!!!!!!!

Stop playing with my emotions frfr ?

I hear you... "in about 3 weeks"... 3 days past the 3 weeks and my patience is nonexistent...

?

19 minutes ago, today.is.not.the.day said:

I hear you... "in about 3 weeks"... 3 days past the 3 weeks and my patience is nonexistent...

?

This is a mood. One of my programs: "You'll hear from us the first week of February". Well, here it is, and I still haven't heard! But there's two more days in the week so ehhh??

14 minutes ago, dancedementia said:

This is a mood. One of my programs: "You'll hear from us the first week of February". Well, here it is, and I still haven't heard! But there's two more days in the week so ehhh??

One of the current students at one of my interviews said he heard back February 10th last year, so naturally I’ve been refreshing my email every 3 seconds knowing that the 10th is 3 days away. ? I don’t think my nerves can handle it if the 10th comes and goes! 

13 minutes ago, lmk94 said:

One of the current students at one of my interviews said he heard back February 10th last year, so naturally I’ve been refreshing my email every 3 seconds knowing that the 10th is 3 days away. ? I don’t think my nerves can handle it if the 10th comes and goes! 

I went from checking the spam folder 3 times a year to checking it 3 times a day ?

25 minutes ago, Psyhopeful said:

So my interview weekend went great I thought. I emailed my POI to say thanks the next day and she hasn’t responded, and now I’m second guessing everything. Ugh, lol.

I'd say don't worry about it, likely happens more often than you think! POIs are probably super busy, and may just get to you in a couple days. I emailed someone the night of the interview, and they responded a couple days later. Don't beat yourself up!

48 minutes ago, Psyhopeful said:

So my interview weekend went great I thought. I emailed my POI to say thanks the next day and she hasn’t responded, and now I’m second guessing everything. Ugh, lol.

I agree with @Waiting272, don’t get discouraged or second guess yourself! I know that one of my POIs had gotten sick and therefore took a couple days to respond. I’m sure everything will work out. 

Edited by Keyz

1 hour ago, Psyhopeful said:

4/5 I’ve emailed never answered. I left it very vague at the end though, so I wasn’t expecting a response...... still awkwardly stings though LOL. Like uhhhh I thought we had a connection!?!? ? ?

6 minutes ago, checkingmyemail said:

4/5 I’ve emailed never answered. I left it very vague at the end though, so I wasn’t expecting a response...... still awkwardly stings though LOL. Like uhhhh I thought we had a connection!?!? ? ?

That’s so odd, I’m not sure how I would react since it’s really not too hard to at least reply with something like “it was nice to meet you.” I’m assuming it’s been a while since you emailed them. Hopefully it didn’t damper your confidence. 

29 minutes ago, Keyz said:

That’s so odd, I’m not sure how I would react since it’s really not too hard to at least reply with something like “it was nice to meet you.” I’m assuming it’s been a while since you emailed them. Hopefully it didn’t damper your confidence. 

Oh not at all, according to my PIs (who helped me draft the thank you emails) it was totally normal for them not to respond. One of the ones who didn’t respond offered me an acceptance ? so I didn’t take it too personal! 

6 minutes ago, checkingmyemail said:

Oh not at all, according to my PIs (who helped me draft the thank you emails) it was totally normal for them not to respond. One of the ones who didn’t respond offered me an acceptance ? so I didn’t take it too personal! 

Haha congrats then! Maybe I should have hoped that my POI and the other faculty hadn’t lured me into a false sense of security by responding since I was immediately waitlisted lol. Oh well!

Guest Clickingrefresh

It’s been two weeks since I’ve interviewed and I’ve heard nooooothing. I just want a rejection email already ?

52 minutes ago, checkingmyemail said:

I guess I did leave it pretty open. I just said thanks and it was great meeting them and everyone. There is not much to say in response to that unless you’re going to respond with “YOU’RE ADMITTED!” But still, lol. I am trying to stay upbeat. I got my first admit to a non-psych master’s program today, so at least I know someone likes me!