On 2/19/2019 at 11:28 AM, ktwalsh said:

To the UNC Charlotte poster, I have not heard anything from them. I applied to the Health Psychology program and emailed the Director but I haven't heard back from them either. 

UNC Charlotte posters: Not sure if you guys mean post-interview or not, but I know that UNC Charlotte held interviews Feb. 1st. Good luck!    

13 hours ago, nimsaj95 said:

Has anyone heard from University of Utah post interview? I'm trying to decide when might be appropriate to email my faculty member of interest to ask for an update on my status (interview was Feb 1). 

I think 3 weeks is an appropriate amount of time to check in post-interview.  They should be able to give you some info by now.

On 2/6/2019 at 9:32 PM, goingpsycho said:

Has anyone that applied to Washington State University not heard anything? I see on the results page that people got a general rejection email but I haven't received any emails or an interview invite??

I also applied to the clinical psych PhD at Washington State University and I received an email on January 31st from the psych department saying, "Hello thank you for your application to the Clinical Psychology doctoral program at WSU. We are in the process of extending invitations to our initial round of applicants who are getting an interview invitation for our March 1st interview day. Although you are not among that list, you are still under consideration for a position (i.e., depending on how the initial process goes). We will be in touch with you mid-late March with more information, or earlier if we have more information available or if an interview spot becomes available."

I am pretty much assuming rejection at this point. I just cannot see the interviews tomorrow going so poorly that they would interview myself or anyone else on the WL.

5 hours ago, PsychM said:

I also applied to the clinical psych PhD at Washington State University and I received an email on January 31st from the psych department saying, "Hello thank you for your application to the Clinical Psychology doctoral program at WSU. We are in the process of extending invitations to our initial round of applicants who are getting an interview invitation for our March 1st interview day. Although you are not among that list, you are still under consideration for a position (i.e., depending on how the initial process goes). We will be in touch with you mid-late March with more information, or earlier if we have more information available or if an interview spot becomes available."

I am pretty much assuming rejection at this point. I just cannot see the interviews tomorrow going so poorly that they would interview myself or anyone else on the WL.

Weird! I didn’t even get this email.

Just now, applicant1627 said:

Weird! I didn’t even get this email.

So you didn't get a rejection or a notification of being on the waitlist? It had my name in it so I don't think it was a mass email.

Just now, PsychM said:

So you didn't get a rejection or a notification of being on the waitlist? It had my name in it so I don't think it was a mass email.

Oh I assumed it was a mass email! I have received no communication at all since I submitted my application. 

So currently I'm freaking out because I don't know what to think.

I applied to University of Florida's Clinical Psychology program with an emphasis in Neuropsychology and noticed someone received an offer of admission last Friday. I've been compulsively checking my email every 10 minutes for the last few days and have even reached out to PI's I'm interested in to see when I'd hear an official decision. Of course, no response yet. Should I expect a rejection? I've read some programs send out their offers in waves and that I could still be in the running but I'm not sure. If ANYONE has gone through this before, please give me clarity/closure lol

1 hour ago, LethalIntent024 said:

So currently I'm freaking out because I don't know what to think.

I applied to University of Florida's Clinical Psychology program with an emphasis in Neuropsychology and noticed someone received an offer of admission last Friday. I've been compulsively checking my email every 10 minutes for the last few days and have even reached out to PI's I'm interested in to see when I'd hear an official decision. Of course, no response yet. Should I expect a rejection? I've read some programs send out their offers in waves and that I could still be in the running but I'm not sure. If ANYONE has gone through this before, please give me clarity/closure lol

Just posted a response for you in the psychology applicants thread! Check it out. Try not to freak out just yet! :) 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone, 

I'm an international applicant. I spent the whole of 2018, worrying how to balance out my overall profile and apply for Psyd/Phd programs  across USA. I got a lot of help on here, so I am back again.  I have an undergrad degree in psychology honours, MSc. in clinical psychology and a second masters in professional psychology ( a training program focusing on therapeutic practice alone)

UPDATE: 

1. I am interviewing for PHD palo alto ( I declined it last year so I could try again for PsyD and not PHD. But my paperwork got rejected for psyd and they sent it to the phd department on their own so I have their interview to give again).

2. I have Michigan School of Professional Psychology to interview for too. 

3. And I've cleared the interview for University of Denver and am undergoing paperwork verification processes (Yay ?)

Can you guys share your experiences of the university or tell me what you've heard of University of Denver's PsyD program ? Any comments or advises ?

Edited by Soruganti
typo

I've heard the University of Denver PsyD is a good program, but incredibly expensive. Same with Palo Alto.

The stats for the Michigan Professional School look horrendous. No one has ever placed in an APA accredited internship and the licensure rate is at about 50%, so only half of graduates of the program are actually able to be licensed as a clinical psychologist (it's a professional degree, so they should be producing significantly more licensed professionals). If you look at the EPPP pass rate, they have about 56% of students passing it, which is also incredibly low. I know you are an international student. However, those are really poor outcomes, so I would stay away from that one. Numbers like that usually point to poor training within the program itself. 

Thank you for that @PsyDGrad90.

I applied for MiSSP towards the end in a frenzy because it had its deadlines open for a while. I'm not thrilled about the interview because of the same reasons you've listed. But I am also at a place where I want to maximise call backs from as many places as I have applied, because choosing can be done at the end. 

I have heard Denver is good and the fees are something I am extremely concerned about. But thank you for your comment I was so sick of browsing reviews over the internet and driving myself up the wall that I just wanted to really stop feeling so mixed about it. I did reject PALO ALTO because of its atrocious fees, I mean I have no confidence it can be paid back unless I land an amazing grant. I don't even have that scope with Denver, because its a Psyd Program. Funding is going to be something !

What do you think about taking it up just starting the year and then transferring ? Because I feel like I am losing so much time and I am constantly rejecting unis because of fees. I feel like I just need to get to it and then figure it internally than stand outside like a bystander and worry. 

2 hours ago, Soruganti said:

I applied for MiSSP towards the end in a frenzy because it had its deadlines open for a while. I'm not thrilled about the interview because of the same reasons you've listed. But I am also at a place where I want to maximise call backs from as many places as I have applied, because choosing can be done at the end. 

I have heard Denver is good and the fees are something I am extremely concerned about. But thank you for your comment I was so sick of browsing reviews over the internet and driving myself up the wall that I just wanted to really stop feeling so mixed about it. I did reject PALO ALTO because of its atrocious fees, I mean I have no confidence it can be paid back unless I land an amazing grant. I don't even have that scope with Denver, because its a Psyd Program. Funding is going to be something !

What do you think about taking it up just starting the year and then transferring ? Because I feel like I am losing so much time and I am constantly rejecting unis because of fees. I feel like I just need to get to it and then figure it internally than stand outside like a bystander and worry. 

This is a very different scenario but one I can offer... My mom changed her career from Human Resources to psychology about 5 years ago and she went to MiSSP for her psych masters. She did pass her EPPP but yeah, she doesn’t have great things to say about the school/program. She’s in private practice now as a LPP. From her, it’s a joke and most graduates don’t even go on to being in psych careers. I hope this helps! 

5 hours ago, Soruganti said:

It's more difficult to start somewhere and transfer than it is to boost your application and apply to other places. The question is always "why did you leave?" and something like cost is a known factor ahead of time, so it won't be a satisfactory answer. Plus, it will be very unlikely that any credits transfer, so it would still be wasted time. 

Why are you only looking at unfunded PsyDs? There are several PsyDs that provide funding, as well as tons of balanced PhDs that guarantee full funding. 

@PsyDGrad90 thank you for that. Your responses have been so helpful. So to answer your question about the unfunded programs:

1. Being an international applicant when looking for uni's I have to admit I wasn't very well informed. I did as much as I could to check the univ, their ability to acquire apa accreditation, etc. 

2. I did apply to places like baylors, UCB and a few others. Some i'm yet to hear from the other's I have been rejected from. 

So...

@hopefulgrad2019 ah, that doesn't sound good at all. Glad to know this ahead of time. I did their interview anyway. They were so well structured and planned and had a lot of reservations about the students they were taking. It was among the most extensive interviews I have attended. And that's pretty surprising for something as terrible as it is known to be. Pity. 

But, thank you for your reply. I don't think I'll even consider it remotely.  Makes no sense. 

@hopefulgrad2019 ah, that doesn't sound good at all. Glad to know this ahead of time. I did their interview anyway. They were so well structured and planned and had a lot of reservations about the students they were taking. It was among the most extensive interviews I have attended. And that's pretty surprising for something as terrible as it is known to be. Pity. 

But, thank you for your reply. I don't think I'll even consider it remotely.  Makes no sense. 

6 hours ago, Soruganti said:

@PsyDGrad90 thank you for that. Your responses have been so helpful. So to answer your question about the unfunded programs:

1. Being an international applicant when looking for uni's I have to admit I wasn't very well informed. I did as much as I could to check the univ, their ability to acquire apa accreditation, etc. 

2. I did apply to places like baylors, UCB and a few others. Some i'm yet to hear from the other's I have been rejected from. 

So...

Yeah, clinical psych PhDs/PsyDs are some of the most competitive doctoral programs to get into in the US. A lot of it goes into research fit. Strong PsyD programs (such as Baylor) will also require a research component. The best thing to do is to look for programs where you have a good research fit with at least 1 faculty in the program. The average applicant will apply to 10+ programs and take approximately 2 cycles to get accepted somewhere. Also, be mindful of rankings and geographic location. A school like UC-Berkeley is both highly ranked (and very, very research heavy) and also in a desirable (albeit incredibly expensive) area. They get a lot of applicants for their few spots. Schools in the California and NYC area are typically going to get even more applicants just because they are "desirable" areas to live. This is not to say that it's easier to get into a school in the midwest or something, but the applicant numbers are significantly less. Overall, I think the stats are that an applicant has about a 10% chance of getting into any program and about a 1-2% to get into any 1 program (hence applying to min. 10). 

Good luck! It's a long and difficult process, but you can't lose hope!