30 minutes ago, PsychWannabee said:

Personally, I would not do try to "sweet talk" them to try to increase my chances. I honestly don't think an email expressing interest would actually help. Some places might see it as a nuisance. They know you're interested because you applied. That said, some people email the program coordinators to inquire about when interviews will be sent out, and this usually works out fine.

We're all incredibly anxious in this waiting period! It's okay :) Just hang in there!

So you’re saying if I email the program coordinator inquiring about when interviews will be sent out , that it will somewhat strengthen my chances?

1 minute ago, Dee C said:

So you’re saying if I email the program coordinator inquiring about when interviews will be sent out , that it will somewhat strengthen my chances?

No, it will not help strengthen your chances. It might just ease your anxiety if you know when the invites will be sent out. Once applications are under review, you can only wait. Contacting admissions in any way won't help.

Just now, PsychWannabee said:

No, it will not help strengthen your chances. It might just ease your anxiety if you know when the invites will be sent out. Once applications are under review, you can only wait. Contacting admissions in any way won't help.

Thank you so much! 

Guys. I am a long shot applicant to PhD programs- I’ve wanted to be a psychologist FOREVER (this is no exaggeration, my dads a psychiatrist and I grew up grilling him about his cases and reading psych journals). I did a ton of research as an undergrad,did a bunch of presentations and spoke at a few events, and I have an article under review. I applied to grad school straight out college 10 years ago and didn’t get in. I ended up becoming a social worker (which has been great) vs RA/ reapplying due to some life circumstances/ constraints. 

Anyway! Life circumstances changed and I applied to some schools. Tbh, objectively I know I’m not super competitive on the research front. But omg I want this so badly I can taste it. 

I haven’t heard back from any schools yet- one school is currently sending out invites (and my email is crickets).... but the others haven’t yet. I am legit going crazy. I JUST WANT ANSWERS PEOPLE. 

That is all. Send help. Fml. 

5 minutes ago, FreudEgg said:

Guys. I am a long shot applicant to PhD programs- I’ve wanted to be a psychologist FOREVER (this is no exaggeration, my dads a psychiatrist and I grew up grilling him about his cases and reading psych journals). I did a ton of research as an undergrad,did a bunch of presentations and spoke at a few events, and I have an article under review. I applied to grad school straight out college 10 years ago and didn’t get in. I ended up becoming a social worker (which has been great) vs RA/ reapplying due to some life circumstances/ constraints. 

Anyway! Life circumstances changed and I applied to some schools. Tbh, objectively I know I’m not super competitive on the research front. But omg I want this so badly I can taste it. 

I haven’t heard back from any schools yet- one school is currently sending out invites (and my email is crickets).... but the others haven’t yet. I am legit going crazy. I JUST WANT ANSWERS PEOPLE. 

That is all. Send help. Fml. 

I believe in you!!! It runs in your family and you have been trying so hard. praying for you to get in!!

6 hours ago, JenIndianaPSY said:

Hi everyone! Quick question- I just got an email from my POI that I wasn't picked for the on-campus interview after my phone interview with him almost three weeks ago. I'm noticing that in the results section, a lot of users are saying this means "rejection". Is this true? 

And congrats to everyone who got interviews! 

Typically, phone interviews are the first step in a 2-round interview process. Those who advance from the phone interviews are invited to in-person interviews and programs tend to accept candidates from that group, and reject those who did not make it through the first round. I know this may not be the news you were hoping for, but do not take it to mean you are not a talented and worthy individual (because you are)! I hope you hear back from other schools and good luck with your applications :)

On 1/15/2019 at 4:28 PM, prettypilot2002 said:

Okay, I have searched results page all schools I am asking about:

Idaho State University searched result and looked through this thread- saw nothing, anyone have insight?

University of Maine searched results and this thread- saw 2 but initials of POI are not matching with anyone I had hoped to work with 

Washington state searched results and this thread- I have seen some on this page but am curious if they are all out yet. I have only received one PM regarding a POI, of whom I wasn't trying to work with either. 

Thanks ahead of time and good luck everyone. 

I just got an interview invite via email today for Idaho State. The interview day is Feb 16 with Feb 15 being a day where they hold research presentations and socials for you to get to know the research of faculty and students. PM if interested in POI. Good luck!

10 minutes ago, KeepItCaffeinated said:

Anyone have any info about interview invites for UC Boulder or Penn State? 

A colleague of mine received a Penn State interview a week and a half or so ago!

Hi all! I was accepted for an interview inside a nearby city ( about an hour drive).a mass interview was sent and students have an option to stay with a graduate student.

I understand this is for those traveling from far away. Am i at a strong disadvantage to not ask for a host? Does it reflect poorly to spend the night before with the student?

I would like to be able to be remembered positively, and am afraid this one day interview does not give me enough time to make an impression vs. a student who may be coming from afar.

51 minutes ago, Gradphd123 said:

Hi all! I was accepted for an interview inside a nearby city ( about an hour drive).a mass interview was sent and students have an option to stay with a graduate student.

I understand this is for those traveling from far away. Am i at a strong disadvantage to not ask for a host? Does it reflect poorly to spend the night before with the student?

I would like to be able to be remembered positively, and am afraid this one day interview does not give me enough time to make an impression vs. a student who may be coming from afar.

It shouldn't reflect poorly. Staying may give you more information as an applicant and allow you to get valuable information about the program from a student perspective (there will probably be opportunities during the interview day, so this is additional). 

I contacted one of my target schools because there was a deferred grade listed on the transcript that was sent (supervisor had issues signing progress form). Luckily I was able to email them an update to satisfactory honors (even though it doesn't change GPA, I didn't want this to show as negative). I also updated my CV to reflect current research duties. Unfortunately, I noticed someone was contacted within the past day for an interview, so I'm hoping I wasn't too late. Fingers are crossed.

2 hours ago, Gradphd123 said:

Hi! I also had this situation and opted to stay with a graduate student just to avoid the early drive in the morning. It will also help you get more insider information and focus for the interview. The program knew I lived about an hour away and did not mind me asking to stay with a student. Hope this helps!

Good luck on the interview :)

Edited by PsychWannabee

23 hours ago, Starbrite84 said:

Did anyone apply to USUHS clinical psychology program? 

I hope I’m not suffering alone. Lol. 

Me too!  I was worried the shut down would impact when we might hear, but it sounds like the Neuroscience program began sending out interview invites recently, so hopefully that means clinical will be soon as well!

On 1/18/2019 at 4:40 PM, Starbrite84 said:

Did anyone apply to USUHS clinical psychology program? 

I hope I’m not suffering alone. Lol. 

On 1/18/2019 at 5:13 PM, FreudEgg said:

I did!! I’m suffering right there with you 

39 minutes ago, topsailpsych said:

Me too!  I was worried the shut down would impact when we might hear, but it sounds like the Neuroscience program began sending out interview invites recently, so hopefully that means clinical will be soon as well!

Right here with all of y’allzz ;)