Interview Advice

topsailpsych

hey! are you guys asking your poi's questions now over email or are you waiting till the interview? my poi invited me to reach out with any questions i may have but idk if to wait till the interview rather than bother him with a lot of questions over email. however, i don't want to seem uninterested by not sending questions. help lol

hey! are you guys asking your poi's questions now over email or are you waiting till the interview? my poi invited me to reach out with any questions i may have but idk if to wait till the interview rather than bother him with a lot of questions over email. however, i don't want to seem uninterested by not sending questions. help lol

• 3 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, NiceCupofTea said:

What are some questions people have asked non-POI faculty members?

I asked a non-POI about things specific to the program. I asked about the best part of the program from the faculty side. I’ve also asked what brought them to X university. I feel like that helped me get a better picture of the program and why it has to offer everyone there. 

50 minutes ago, sun&stars said:

I asked a non-POI about things specific to the program. I asked about the best part of the program from the faculty side. I’ve also asked what brought them to X university. I feel like that helped me get a better picture of the program and why it has to offer everyone there. 

@NiceCupofTea Piggybacking off of this, I also think that it's beneficial to at least look at what the other POIs do for research. Obviously you don't have to go super in depth but you can always just ask them a little bit about their own research, future projects, or even if they have considered tying in some part of what you are interested in into a future project (may or may not be beneficial depending on their interests). None of these could hurt to ask them. But also like sun&stars said it's also nice to have some more general questions, although it can also help to have some that are not specifically directed at the program or research because they are people as well and have knowledge about other things than just their research. 

I have an interview coming up in about a month where the POI's research matches my current experience pretty well, but not necessarily my future interests (from what I can tell). They don't have a lab website, so I can't see what current grad students are working on unfortunately. Any advice on how to ask questions about this, and how to answer questions about my own research? Happy to clarify if this doesn't make sense, thinking is hard this month ?

5 hours ago, rllyneedcoffee said:

thinking is hard this month ?

^Totally feel you on that.

I don't know if this would be helpful, but I think generally PIs are willing to move, within reasonable limits, away from their main research focus if it helps their graduate students. They're also looking for new ideas and possible future directions from their grad student so that they can produce new and exciting research. I think it would benefit you to be honest about your research interests, see if they have something similar in mind (they might) and whether they have the resources to start it with you. Something along the lines of "I'm really excited about your current research, as I have a lot of experience in the same arena such as xyz, and I was wondering if you had any thoughts about going along this path....*elaborate more on your interests* This might be something I would want to explore during my graduate training, and I wanted to get your two cents on it." Granted, if it's waaaay off from their current research, then I don't know and this might be indicative of a poor fit. 

24 minutes ago, imonfire98 said:

What would you suggest wearing if interviewing in a state were it’s still snowing heavily? How about shoes?

Wear whatever weather-proof shoes you have and bring your nice dress shoes. Swap out once you get into the building. 

23 hours ago, rllyneedcoffee said:

I have an interview coming up in about a month where the POI's research matches my current experience pretty well, but not necessarily my future interests (from what I can tell). They don't have a lab website, so I can't see what current grad students are working on unfortunately. Any advice on how to ask questions about this, and how to answer questions about my own research? Happy to clarify if this doesn't make sense, thinking is hard this month ?

17 hours ago, ilobebrains said:

^Totally feel you on that.

I don't know if this would be helpful, but I think generally PIs are willing to move, within reasonable limits, away from their main research focus if it helps their graduate students. They're also looking for new ideas and possible future directions from their grad student so that they can produce new and exciting research. I think it would benefit you to be honest about your research interests, see if they have something similar in mind (they might) and whether they have the resources to start it with you. Something along the lines of "I'm really excited about your current research, as I have a lot of experience in the same arena such as xyz, and I was wondering if you had any thoughts about going along this path....*elaborate more on your interests* This might be something I would want to explore during my graduate training, and I wanted to get your two cents on it." Granted, if it's waaaay off from their current research, then I don't know and this might be indicative of a poor fit. 

Thank you this is helpful!! I've found some recent (and some older) publications that pretty clearly link my POI's interests and my future interests (which makes sense, considering my current experiences have helped lead me to my future interests) so I think I may use that as a jumping off point, as in "I'm excited about your current research and would be interested to expand it into xyz interest, especially given current research has shown a strong link between the two." I do think the general theories this POI does research with fit pretty nicely with most, if not all, of my interests so that's encouraging! 

Be really careful though; while it's good to be clear about your interests to ensure you don't end up somewhere you'll be unhappy, if you sound too picky about which projects you're willing to work on, PIs might grow leery. Maybe use language like, "I'm excited about this and this and this; I'm *especially* interested though in this part of your work and am excited about the possibility of working with you on it", or something, etc.

12 hours ago, imonfire98 said:

What would you suggest wearing if interviewing in a state were it’s still snowing heavily? How about shoes?

Like the others have said, nice ankle boots or wear heavier boots and change! There is typically a place where applicants can leave coats, bags, shoes, etc. 

Do you think it's appropriate to ask POI about the financial aspect of their program (e.g., financial aid opportunities)? The school's website is not functioning properly and basically promises good financing without any details about what this means. I will be interviewed via Skype, so I won't necessarily have an opportunity to interact with other graduate students in a less formal atmosphere.

38 minutes ago, NogitsuneX said:

Do you think it's appropriate to ask POI about the financial aspect of their program (e.g., financial aid opportunities)? The school's website is not functioning properly and basically promises good financing without any details about what this means. I will be interviewed via Skype, so I won't necessarily have an opportunity to interact with other graduate students in a less formal atmosphere.

Yes, definitely. You should also ask for the emails of current students in the program. Ask what their experience with funding has been like, are assistantships guaranteed, etc. These are standard questions and are not intrusive. Sometimes the students with advisors with grants are better funded than students with advisors w/o grants. Sometimes the money is pooled and everyone has an equal chance of funding.

Also note that funding in your first 2-3 years is very important because tuition is highest during these years.

I’ve read that often 3-6 people are interviewed for one spot at Clinical psych phd programs. I’m trying to handle my stress right now and guess how many people will be also interviewing with my POI. So if they seem to have one interview date, and it includes dinner with current students at a restaurant the night before, then a day of events& there are 7-8 professors who are accepting students- does it make sense that it would still be 3-6 students interviewing with each prof? 

Yes I’m aware that is a somewhat (extremely ) ridiculous question to ask. But also, give me your thoughts. #sendhelp 

1 minute ago, FreudEgg said:

I’ve read that often 3-6 people are interviewed for one spot at Clinical psych phd programs. I’m trying to handle my stress right now and guess how many people will be also interviewing with my POI. So if they seem to have one interview date, and it includes dinner with current students at a restaurant the night before, then a day of events& there are 7-8 professors who are accepting students- does it make sense that it would still be 3-6 students interviewing with each prof? 

Yes I’m aware that is a somewhat (extremely ) ridiculous question to ask. But also, give me your thoughts. #sendhelp 

Yes, it makes sense that it will still be 3-6 interviewing per professor.

How does the answer to this question help you?

1 hour ago, FreudEgg said:

I'm aware of one of the (Canadian) schools I applied to had 7 people interview for 1 spot. And this is AFTER they weeded out applicants that didn't meet the minimum requirements or weren't "exceptional" as this school put it. Sorry, its a hard fact to swallow... :( 

1 hour ago, Mickey26 said:

I'm aware of one of the (Canadian) schools I applied to had 7 people interview for 1 spot. And this is AFTER they weeded out applicants that didn't meet the minimum requirements or weren't "exceptional" as this school put it. Sorry, its a hard fact to swallow... :( 

Just going off of this - would it be appropriate to ask either current students or my POI about how many applicants my POI is interviewing this year?

2 hours ago, Fi19 said:

Just going off of this - would it be appropriate to ask either current students or my POI about how many applicants my POI is interviewing this year?

Current students likely wouldn’t know, and that seems like an awkward question for the POI to answer  

7 hours ago, 21n14l said:

Yes, it makes sense that it will still be 3-6 interviewing per professor.

How does the answer to this question help you?

Thanks for your response! It doesn’t really ”help” me, I guess, it’s more about what @Mickey26 says below... I’m SO excited to get an interview, but then I’m like “oh right, odds still aren’t in my favor”, even though of course I feel so lucky to have made it to interviews. 

5 hours ago, Mickey26 said:

Thank you for your input!! Those are EXACTLY my thoughts right now about it all! I hope your interviews go well!!! 

Am am I the only one who low key pictures this whole thing like hunger games? 

May the odds be ever in your favor. 

3 hours ago, Fi19 said:

50 minutes ago, JoePianist said:

Current students likely wouldn’t know, and that seems like an awkward question for the POI to answer  

I agree with Joe- I don’t think it would be an entirely appropriate question to answer because it could feel awkward for the POI. But I completely get wanting to ask! 

21 minutes ago, FreudEgg said:

Thanks for your response! It doesn’t really ”help” me, I guess, it’s more about what @Mickey26 says below... I’m SO excited to get an interview, but then I’m like “oh right, odds still aren’t in my favor”, even though of course I feel so lucky to have made it to interviews. 

Thank you for your input!! Those are EXACTLY my thoughts right now about it all! I hope your interviews go well!!! 

Am am I the only one who low key pictures this whole thing like hunger games? 

May the odds be ever in your favor. 

It is awkward. That said, make sure you treat fellow applicants nicely and with respect (although I suppose if the program has a cut-throat environment, this may be slightly different). The current students will be looking at who looks like "a team player" and who looks like they're out for themselves. If a program tries to foster a supportive student environment, they are also going to be looking for students who fit that culture. 

1 hour ago, PsyDGrad90 said:

It is awkward. That said, make sure you treat fellow applicants nicely and with respect (although I suppose if the program has a cut-throat environment, this may be slightly different). The current students will be looking at who looks like "a team player" and who looks like they're out for themselves. If a program tries to foster a supportive student environment, they are also going to be looking for students who fit that culture. 

I appreciate that& have heard the same thing. I definitely want to be in a program with a “team player”/ supportive environment. I’m not actually going to treat anyone like it’s the Hunger Games ;) 

3 hours ago, JoePianist said:

2 hours ago, FreudEgg said:

I agree with Joe- I don’t think it would be an entirely appropriate question to answer because it could feel awkward for the POI. But I completely get wanting to ask! 

Thank you both! That’s what I thought too, but just wanted to make sure LOL.