Audiology Applicants Fall 2019

allaboutears

11 hours ago, InasAlrubaye said:

Hi guys I am wondering if anyone applied to Texas tech audiology program

I applied, but I was placed on the waiting list.

On 4/9/2019 at 11:49 AM, Audok said:

So I was accepted to my number one program, Lamar University (they offer full funding to all their first years and opportunities to continue that GA position). However, I feel like I am starting to like the program at Wichita State more (it's accelerated three year program and I get a huge scholarship for being from a neighboring state)! I was also accepted to UAMS and Missouri State. I don't want to sacrifice the quality of my education regardless of the cost or distance. With that being said, can anyone provide any insight into this decision? 

I would make a decision based on the over all environment the college provides. What I mean by this is pick somewhere that you can see yourself being very comfortable living there. If you are from a small town a program located in a city may be a bit overwhelming. You also need to look at the professors and how their personalities mesh with your own. Also if you have never been far away from family you may be uncomfortable for a while. I would pick a place that I know I would be comfortable and be able to see myself being happy in. I hope this helps! 

On 4/9/2019 at 11:49 AM, Audok said:

So I was accepted to my number one program, Lamar University (they offer full funding to all their first years and opportunities to continue that GA position). However, I feel like I am starting to like the program at Wichita State more (it's accelerated three year program and I get a huge scholarship for being from a neighboring state)! I was also accepted to UAMS and Missouri State. I don't want to sacrifice the quality of my education regardless of the cost or distance. With that being said, can anyone provide any insight into this decision? 

I'm a student who attended Wichita State. I ultimately chose it because of the cost and saving money overall. While it is an accelerated three-year program, think about what your interests are. Current clinical placements don't have a lot of cochlear implant experience so if that's something you're very passionate about I might decide to attend another school. Ultimately you get the same degree as any other program and have good opportunities for GA positions (depending on your class size). Since the program is accelerated, you obviously take more classes each semester and the courses cover a lot of material.  The program has been changing for the better over the past year so the incoming class may have a better experience and may have better opportunities than past classes. I personally enjoyed starting classes in the summer (June) and getting to do hands-on in the clinic starting your first day. We all found externships for our final year (4th-year externship during 3rd year) so that really isn't an issue. Everyone has found jobs too. 

Hello! Has anyone been accepted to KUMC and made a facebook page or anything? I just accepted my offer from them and would love to connect with the people in my class! 

So I was told that the school I am waitlisted at has all of their spots filled, however, I am next in line if someone decides to go elsewhere even after they have accepted their position at the school. 

How often does this happen? Have you heard of anyone leaving their spot after they have accepted? 

On 4/19/2019 at 1:14 PM, Aud3246 said:

So I was told that the school I am waitlisted at has all of their spots filled, however, I am next in line if someone decides to go elsewhere even after they have accepted their position at the school. 

How often does this happen? Have you heard of anyone leaving their spot after they have accepted? 

I met someone at Pacific that said they rescinded their commitment to another school once they got off the waitlist at Pacific because they really wanted an accelerated program. So it happens .. but how often? That is really difficult to say. 

So I have two schools left, Texas Tech and UNT. Tech placed me on the waitlist and I haven't heard back since that email. UNT has yet to ever contact me and the MyUNT says "defer decision". 

Does anyone have any insight for either of these programs? I am starting to lose hope.

On 4/19/2019 at 4:14 PM, Aud3246 said:

I'm in that position right now. I accepted an offer at the only school I was accepted at, but got off the waitlist at a school with a better program and that I'd rather go to so I plan on rescinding my commitment. I talked to some professors at my current school and they said about 1 or 2 people do it every year. There's also 3 first year students I talked to who accepted offers and backed out for a different program. So with that being said, I would say it happens fairly often, but it all depends on the school and the program.

Hey there guys! I was wondering if anyone in the group is going to Texas Tech and if there's a Facebook group for our class. If not, I'd be happy to start one. I'd love to connect with some people before we arrive in Lubbock in August (especially if anyone is looking for a roommate).

Hey everyone! I was wondering if anyone here was accepted into the Southern Miss program. I would love to connect with anyone going there!

Whatever you do not go to the university of the pacific in San Francisco. It is a new program and they do not have it together. There is no gym, there is no library, there is no grants or teaching assistantships, there is no free services for the students like public transportation, the cafe mostly serves the dental students schedule. Audiology students are not even represented in the school even though they pay 80k a year. Theres so much lack of communication between the faculty and the clinical preceptors in which the students take the hit for. For 2021 cohort, 24 students started, by the end of the spring only 14 students were left and thats not to say whats going to happen to the 14 once they take their qualification exam. If 10 students are forced to leave the program that should tell you how bad the program is. Please consider other cheaper options with  better experienced faculty. You have been warned!  

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone give me a comparison between south Alabama and La Tech?

im having difficulty picking one over the other and I have about a week and a half to decide..

La Tech is in my home state and they  would give me a GA,while USA isn’t giving me anything the first year.

but I do love how they have a medical Audiology and Tinnitus class at USA...that and I also applied to their school for the abroad program to Durban..

can someone help me with their pros and cons?

Edited by AuD(ream)

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/27/2019 at 2:09 PM, SEM596 said:

Hey there guys! I was wondering if anyone in the group is going to Texas Tech and if there's a Facebook group for our class. If not, I'd be happy to start one. I'd love to connect with some people before we arrive in Lubbock in August (especially if anyone is looking for a roommate).

I’m actually part of TTUHSC’s fall class too! I haven’t found a Facebook page yet, but if anyone else here has been admitted let me know if we should start one. I did my undergrad at Tech too so if anyone has questions about Tech or Lubbock, feel free to contact me ?

On 6/1/2019 at 1:28 PM, AuDAllDay said:

I’m actually part of TTUHSC’s fall class too! I haven’t found a Facebook page yet, but if anyone else here has been admitted let me know if we should start one. I did my undergrad at Tech too so if anyone has questions about Tech or Lubbock, feel free to contact me ?

If a page was created, can someone message me it? I was accepted today off of the “alternative” list! ?

• 8 months later...

Hello! My name is Savannah and I am applying for the Fall 2020 audiology programs. I was wondering if anyone on this form was accepted to ECU or ETSU and could answer a few questions?

When was your interview (if you got one), when did you find out you were accepted. I toured ETSU and they said we would know by March 1st, but that’s a Sunday so I’m just confused if they would send on Friday or Monday. They said they sometimes do interviews but if your personal statement was good they wouldn’t interview. 

as for ECU, I had an interview but I’m still worried. He said 1-2 weeks and we would know but what was your timeline and how did you find out? An email or checking the app status online? 

5 hours ago, savvyAuD said:

Hello! My name is Savannah and I am applying for the Fall 2020 audiology programs. I was wondering if anyone on this form was accepted to ECU or ETSU and could answer a few questions?

When was your interview (if you got one), when did you find out you were accepted. I toured ETSU and they said we would know by March 1st, but that’s a Sunday so I’m just confused if they would send on Friday or Monday. They said they sometimes do interviews but if your personal statement was good they wouldn’t interview. 

as for ECU, I had an interview but I’m still worried. He said 1-2 weeks and we would know but what was your timeline and how did you find out? An email or checking the app status online? 

In 2018 I applied to ETSU and was accepted. I did a brief phone interview but I think it’s because I inquired about interviews. During the interview I was told that there was a 99% chance of me being accepted. About 2 weeks later I got an acceptance email with a GA offer. Then about a week later I got an updated even better GA offer. But I ultimately decided not to attend there. It was my spring break I got my official acceptance from ETSU so about the second week of March. 

• 2 years later...
On 4/9/2019 at 10:49 AM, Audok said:

Hi!! I know this thread is a little old, but in case you or anyone still check it, can you confirm if wichita state does interviews? Wichita’s aud page does say an interview would be requested for some applicants, but after I applied I got an email only saying to check the portal for updates. Thanks so much! 

On 3/26/2019 at 5:06 PM, Car said:

Thanks! I never heard anything from them at all. No interview or anything. I do however get emails to go to events, but nothing that says I got accepted or denied. I even got a email telling me to remember to sign up for classes by April. It is soo weird. They are the only school I haven't heard back from yet. Also I hope your other interview went well, and that you were able to get into a school!!

Hi! That is currently happening to me this year! I applied by 1/6 (their deadline was 1/9) and havent heard anything. My portal says “pending departmental review” still so I was thinking my app was submitted incorrectly somehow so I emailed asking if they did receive everything and they confirmed its under review. I know theyve already started interviewing applicants and invited the top 30 to the recruitment event so im pretty sure im just waiting on a rejection by now, haha! Do you happen to remember when you finally heard back from them?