SPED PhD Apps Fall 2019

SPEDucator

Anyone else applying for a PhD in Special Education for Fall 2019? I've submitted 4 applications (Vanderbilt, Harvard, University of Texas at Austin, and University of Minnesota) and might do one more (George Mason) as that app isn't due until Jan 15th.

I just heard back from the University of Minnesota, but am still waiting on any sign from the other institutions. 

Anyone else in the same boat?

• 1 month later...

I applied to Vanderbilt, University of Minnesota, UT Austin, and Harvard. 

I'm in with funding at Minnesota and Austin, didn't get an interview at Harvard and also haven't heard from Vandy.

The waiting game is hard! I thought Vandy would have emailed either way last week, but maybe it'll be this week? It seems like admission in previous years came in end of Jan and rejection came in start of Feb. No one has posted on the results page yet though, so I'm holding out hope.

Why did you choose only Vandy? Did you reach out to any professors?

On ‎12‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 6:00 AM, SPEDucator said:

Anyone else applying for a PhD in Special Education for Fall 2019? I've submitted 4 applications (Vanderbilt, Harvard, University of Texas at Austin, and University of Minnesota) and might do one more (George Mason) as that app isn't due until Jan 15th.

I just heard back from the University of Minnesota, but am still waiting on any sign from the other institutions. 

Anyone else in the same boat?

I have submitted 3 applications. Vanderbilt, University of Kansas, University of Oregon.

I got invited to onsite interview session from KU, but I'm still waiting for updates from the other two schools.

23 hours ago, 2019sped said:

I have only applied to Vanderbilt, and I haven't heard anything yet. I'm so anxious! Have you heard from any programs yet?

I haven't, but I saw someone posted about an interview request from Vanderbilt. So I'm guessing I'm on the wait list or... worse... rejected..

I only applied to Vandy because local to Nashville and I'm not really in a position to move right now.  I met with the admissions coordinator and asked him about contacting professors. He told me to tell him which two professors I was interested in working with and that he would pass the word along and they would contact me if they chose to. I never heard from either of them, so...

I hope we hear something this week. It is worrisome when you look at last year's timeline! ? 

21 hours ago, SPEDucator said:

Yeah. I've kinda accepted that I'm not in, but who knows until that official rejection letter arrives.

Was it Al Brady that you met with? I've thought about emailing him to check in...

I did meet with Al Brady and I've thought about emailing him too. I will warn you -- the email address listed for him on the dept page is incorrect. His actual email is al.brady@vanderbilt.edu. 

Thanks for starting this thread. It feels nice to talk to people in the same boat!

19 minutes ago, 2019sped said:

I did meet with Al Brady and I've thought about emailing him too. I will warn you -- the email address listed for him on the dept page is incorrect. His actual email is al.brady@vanderbilt.edu. 

Thanks for starting this thread. It feels nice to talk to people in the same boat!

Hahaha no problem! I also agree that it's nice to find people going through the same thing. It has helped relieve my stress! 

I had a friend call and ask about when decisions are coming out and they said between now and mid-February. Professors will reach out themselves first and that should start happening late this week or early next week, but could continue until mid-Feb depending on the professor.

21 minutes ago, SPEDucator said:

Hahaha no problem! I also agree that it's nice to find people going through the same thing. It has helped relieve my stress! 

I had a friend call and ask about when decisions are coming out and they said between now and mid-February. Professors will reach out themselves first and that should start happening late this week or early next week, but could continue until mid-Feb depending on the professor.

Oh thank you so much for sharing!! It helps so much to know ANYTHING at this point, lol. Have you communicated with any Vandy professors? I wonder if I should have reached out directly back before applications were due. 

5 hours ago, 2019sped said:

Oh thank you so much for sharing!! It helps so much to know ANYTHING at this point, lol. Have you communicated with any Vandy professors? I wonder if I should have reached out directly back before applications were due. 

I got my masters at Vandy so I knew a few professors. My previous advisor wrote me a letter of rec and I spoke with another professor generally about where to apply and what I should be looking for in a program as well as in an advisor. In addition, my writing sample was a paper from one of my classes at Vandy. So I didn't reach out directly to talk about working with a specific person, but I did have contact with the department. They don't have a professor doing the exact research that I want to do which makes me nervous about my chances of being accepted, but I love the department and the culture at Vandy so I wanted to apply despite the not exact fit in research.

14 hours ago, SPEDucator said:

I got my masters at Vandy so I knew a few professors. My previous advisor wrote me a letter of rec and I spoke with another professor generally about where to apply and what I should be looking for in a program as well as in an advisor. In addition, my writing sample was a paper from one of my classes at Vandy. So I didn't reach out directly to talk about working with a specific person, but I did have contact with the department. They don't have a professor doing the exact research that I want to do which makes me nervous about my chances of being accepted, but I love the department and the culture at Vandy so I wanted to apply despite the not exact fit in research.

Our situations sound similar. I took some post-masters classes at Vandy a few years ago and I've since been working there as an adjunct. I don't directly know professors in the sped dept, but I have recommendations from professors in the dept I've been working in. My areas of interest don't directly align with the grants they have for next year either, so that may also be why I haven't heard anything. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/17/2019 at 11:57 AM, SPEDucator said:

Anyone hear anything? I haven't which solidifies my thinking that I didn't get in.

Still nothing! I sent Al Brady an email last week asking if decisions had been made. He never responded. ? I am so ready to just know for sure. I guess it's definitely a no at this point, but geez! They could at least let us know SOMETHING. 

3 minutes ago, 2019sped said:

Still nothing! I sent Al Brady an email last week asking if decisions had been made. He never responded. ? I am so ready to just know for sure. I guess it's definitely a no at this point, but geez! They could at least let us know SOMETHING. 

I know! I'm visiting other schools next week and Vandy is the only school I'm waiting to hear from. After my visits I would really like to make a decision.

19 hours ago, 2019sped said:

I made my husband call Al Brady and Al said that some people have been notified but that decisions are still being made. I know that's not that helpful, but I figured I'd share anyway! 

Lol! I just called Al myself and he said that all decisions (yay or nay) should be out by the end of the week. At this point I just want to know either way. I assume if some people have found out, they are sending out the rejections this week, but who knows...

2 hours ago, SPEDucator said:

Lol! I just called Al myself and he said that all decisions (yay or nay) should be out by the end of the week. At this point I just want to know either way. I assume if some people have found out, they are sending out the rejections this week, but who knows...

The end of the week!! YAY! I just want to know too so that I can get on with my life. LOL!

1 hour ago, 2019sped said:

The end of the week!! YAY! I just want to know too so that I can get on with my life. LOL!

I'm with you! That's why I called, I was like I just want to know either way so I can make a decision about where I will be next year. 

Good Afternoon All, 

I spoke with Al Brady today and I can confirm what was mentioned above. All notifications will be emailed tomorrow or at the latest- Monday. He stated that you must receive an email notification before they are allowed to tell you over the phone. I am not sure how true this is, but my fingers are still crossed for positive news. 

2 hours ago, Mz.Tanner said:

Good Afternoon All, 

I spoke with Al Brady today and I can confirm what was mentioned above. All notifications will be emailed tomorrow or at the latest- Monday. He stated that you must receive an email notification before they are allowed to tell you over the phone. I am not sure how true this is, but my fingers are still crossed for positive news. 

Thank you so much for the info! I will let you know if I hear anything. Hopefully tomorrow will be the day!

2 hours ago, Mz.Tanner said:

Good Afternoon All, 

Thanks! Now I will be refreshing my email all day tomorrow! Luckily I will be visiting another school on Monday so if I don't hear tomorrow I'll have something to distract me this weekend into Monday.