Fall 2019 Statistics Applicant Thread

27 minutes ago, BL250604 said:

400+ applicants they said

That's really an unusually large pool of applicants for Statistics, damn. It feels like a lot of math-savvy people interested in data science/AI are trying to get into Statistics programs, which are traditionally funded.

Just now, Bayequentist said:

That's really an unusually large pool of applicants for Statistics, damn. It feels like a lot of math-savvy people interested in data science/AI are trying to get into Statistics programs, which are traditionally funded.

Something is definitely different, that's for sure! I got an adequately nice form letter with my admission decision, and even had contacts there + a connection with my advisor. I know that they had some really top candidates and I'm sure they'll have a fantastic cohort!

@jwlim07 Haven't heard anything, but I wouldn't really expect to hear before mid-March -- there are still a lot of campus visits that have to occur, and considering the size of NC State's accepted pool and waitlist, I figure that even if I was high on the waitlist, they'd need several students to turn them down just to start pulling from the waitlist, and then several more turn-downs to get to me.  

1 hour ago, GoPackGo89 said:

When schools say 400+ applications , those are masters and phd applications right? 

I think they mean only PhD applications. Given that Penn State is a popular school, I am not surprised that they receive that many applications.

39 minutes ago, WilliamWantPhD said:

Anyone waitlisted by Harvard?

I am not sure if Harvard even does waitlisting. Not seemed to happen in the past few years. 

Sorry to be a buzzkill but I would not count on getting off the waitlist at a reputable PhD program. It happens sometimes, but PhD adcoms always extend offers to more than their target incoming class (so for example, if Stanford is targeting an incoming class of 8-10 students, they will give offers to 12 applicants with the expectation that at least 2 will turn them down). At a bigger program where they expect 50-60% matriculation, it is likely that they have extended offers to 10 or more applicants than their target number.

Edited by Stat PhD Now Postdoc

@Geococcyx @Stat PhD Now Postdoc Thanks for your realistic input. I should forget about the waitlist for a while.

Is anyone familiar with Harvard Biostatistics Master of Science Program with thesis? I wonder if there is any internal process from masters to doctoral degree in Harvard something like petition process in Berkeley or fast track in Michigan.

Since I also received fully funded Biostat PhD offer from other reputable school which is not top3, I really want to gauge my options.

18 minutes ago, Stat PhD Now Postdoc said:

Sorry to be a buzzkill but I would not count on getting off the waitlist at a reputable PhD program. It happens sometimes, but PhD adcoms always extend offers to more than their target incoming class (so for example, if Stanford is targeting an incoming class of 8-10 students, they will give offers to 12 applicants with the expectation that at least 2 will turn them down). At a bigger program where they expect 50-60% matriculation, it is likely that they have extended offers to 10 or more applicants than their target number.

In my experience, one exception is Ohio State, which in two separate years offered me admission in April after I had already accepted other offers.

19 minutes ago, jwlim07 said:

@Geococcyx @Stat PhD Now Postdoc Thanks for your realistic input. I should forget about the waitlist for a while.

Is anyone familiar with Harvard Biostatistics Master of Science Program with thesis? I wonder if there is any internal process from masters to doctoral degree in Harvard something like petition process in Berkeley or fast track in Michigan.

Since I also received fully funded Biostat PhD offer from other reputable school which is not top3, I really want to gauge my options.

As far as I know, they don't have fast track option, but they do consider their masters in a separate pool from external applicants, and will admit around 2-3 of them.

1 hour ago, Stat PhD Now Postdoc said:

I am wondering about the chance for getting off waiting list for Harvard biostats. Is the biostats admission process different from stats?

13 minutes ago, causalinf said:

I am wondering about the chance for getting off waiting list for Harvard biostats. Is the biostats admission process different from stats?

It should be the same in Biostatistics as in Statistics -- or any other department where acceptances are made at the departmental level rather than into a PI's lab. When my father was working as a professor, his department aimed for an incoming class of around 8 PhD students, and they usually sent acceptances to around 12 applicants annually and had a short waiting list. But in order to get to the waiting list, at least 5 would have to decline the offer.

Edited by Stat PhD Now Postdoc

International applicant here. Just discovered this forum and wanted to share my Stat. Ph.D. application results with you.

Since I am in the waitlist, do you guys think that I have any chance of getting in Duke? My idea is that most applicants that were accepted in Duke were/will also be accepted in Harvard/Stanford/Berkeley, so I think that I still may have a chance.

My status:

Accepted: VT (funding), ASU, UCSC (funding) 

Waitlist: Duke

Rejected: UW, CMU, Chicago Booth(Econometrics)

Pending: UCI, Harvard, Berkeley, FSU, Columbia, UPenn, TexasA&M, and OSU (which is strange, since most applicants already received a response)

Edited by SkyHighway