Fall 2019 Statistics Applicant Thread

45 minutes ago, Bayequentist said:

@Geococcyx The school is Oregon State University. What do you think? Honestly I don't understand why they are sending out some unfunded offers. Do they really expect me to pay for grad school? Geez. Luckily I got accepted into my safety so this won't hurt too much if I'm rejected here.

For masters degrees, people at most departments have to pay. 

15 hours ago, rzg259 said:

Stayed off of this forum for the past month while I waited to hear back from schools. Now that I've heard from most of my top schools, here are my acceptances (for Stats PhD)UNC Chapel Hill, Rutgers, UCLA, and UPenn Wharton.

Now comes the hard part--the decision. Completely torn between UNC, UCLA, and Wharton, though I'll be visiting each of these schools over the next month, so hopefully that'll help to get a better feel. If anyone here got accepted to any of these schools, please feel free to reach out and message me; I'd be interested to hear others' thoughts on their decision process and learn more about the potential cohorts.

vote for Wharton. top school

16 hours ago, rzg259 said:

Stayed off of this forum for the past month while I waited to hear back from schools. Now that I've heard from most of my top schools, here are my acceptances (for Stats PhD)UNC Chapel Hill, Rutgers, UCLA, and UPenn Wharton.

Now comes the hard part--the decision. Completely torn between UNC, UCLA, and Wharton, though I'll be visiting each of these schools over the next month, so hopefully that'll help to get a better feel. If anyone here got accepted to any of these schools, please feel free to reach out and message me; I'd be interested to hear others' thoughts on their decision process and learn more about the potential cohorts.

How early in the process did you apply to Rutgers? And did you hear anything from them about how many applied, I have yet to hear back from them at all.

Just got the rejection from Duke, along with a few others it seems. Honestly, while I am obviously disappointed, I feel better now than I did not knowing. So there is a silver lining I guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

@danny1997 I applied to Rutgers shortly after the New Year and heard back on Feb 6 (acceptance and funding letter). I actually also talked to the Grad Director on the phone, who said it was definitely a competitive year but I'm not too sure of the specific numbers or whether they're still making admissions. Their visit date is during the first full week of March. Will update if I find out more info.

@WilliamWantPhD  That was my initial reaction too, but I'm still looking forward to my visits to help determine my comfort level in each department. If anyone else has comments on the Wharton department, I'd appreciate it. I seem to have the least insight into that program, being that it's in the business school (wondering if/how that affects the stat department in terms of research, industry placements, connections, etc). But having been interested in business/financial applications of stats, that certainly seems to be an intriguing perk.

35 minutes ago, rzg259 said:

@danny1997 I applied to Rutgers shortly after the New Year and heard back on Feb 6 (acceptance and funding letter). I actually also talked to the Grad Director on the phone, who said it was definitely a competitive year but I'm not too sure of the specific numbers or whether they're still making admissions. Their visit date is during the first full week of March. Will update if I find out more info.

@WilliamWantPhD  That was my initial reaction too, but I'm still looking forward to my visits to help determine my comfort level in each department. If anyone else has comments on the Wharton department, I'd appreciate it. I seem to have the least insight into that program, being that it's in the business school (wondering if/how that affects the stat department in terms of research, industry placements, connections, etc). But having been interested in business/financial applications of stats, that certainly seems to be an intriguing perk.

UPenn Wharton is an excellent department and a top 5 one in my personal opinion. They have some great faculty like Tony Cai and Dylan Small. Their main strengths are casual inference, nonparametric/semiparametric regression, and large-scale multiple testing. Their cohort sizes are also small (each year has only 4-5 students), so you'll definitely get to know your professors and form some close friendships in the department.

Also, even though the Statistics Department is housed in the business school, it is actually a primarily theoretical/mathematical department (some very good faculty in pure probability theory, fwiw), and most of the faculty do not do research on applications to business.

Edited by Stat PhD Now Postdoc

10 hours ago, galois said:

Just got the rejection from Duke, along with a few others it seems. Honestly, while I am obviously disappointed, I feel better now than I did not knowing. So there is a silver lining I guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You're career is going to be amazing either way so don't sweat Duke. Can always do a postdoc there :)

Hello, what's the deal with MTU, do they fund their students at all, both for Master's and PhD. I was admitted for Mathematical science without funding, my profile just got updated that I have also been admitted to MS Statistics, no official email/acceptance letter yet. Do they fund their students. 

Does anyone also have info on BGSU, GWU, GSU, University of Iowa, and American University? 

On 2/21/2019 at 5:45 AM, theduckster said:

This might seem like a dumb question but I'll ask it anyway: Does UIUC have rolling admissions for their Statistics Master's? I've seen a couple of admissions on the results page even though their deadline is way out (in April).

I was wondering the exact same thing... I applied way early in the process but wasn't expecting to hear back from them so soon until.... I saw the two admissions on the results page! hahaha Now I'm freaking out because I haven't heard anything from them yet! It definitely didn't help with my anxiety haha, I'm already freaking out because of Imperial (they're 2 weeks late with their process and the "end of February" thing seems to last forever) =(

25 minutes ago, carolina89 said:

I was wondering the exact same thing... I applied way early in the process but wasn't expecting to hear back from them so soon until.... I saw the two admissions on the results page! hahaha Now I'm freaking out because I haven't heard anything from them yet! It definitely didn't help with my anxiety haha, I'm already freaking out because of Imperial (they're 2 weeks late with their process and the "end of February" thing seems to last forever) =(

I applied to UIUC January 20ish and heard back yesterday. Don't worry, still lots of time left