Fall 2019 Statistics Applicant Thread

10 minutes ago, CarolinaSmash said:

I applied to UIUC January 20ish and heard back yesterday. Don't worry, still lots of time left 

I applied one week later (Feb 1st or something) haha so I guess I'm waiting a little longer! Thanks for the reply and super congrats on your offer! ❤️

(haha edited because I was so lost on my dates)

Edited by carolina89

Anyone else get an acceptance from Wisconsin addressed to "applicant's first name"?  I'm assuming they just sent that to everybody who applied by mistake, but want to make sure.

UPDATE:  I emailed them, they said the offers are official if anyone else was confused.  Sorry for cluttering the thread.

Edited by Geococcyx
I'm reactionary

Anyone else have gotten almost no news as of now? I applied to 7 Statistics PhD programs, and so far I have only heard back from two (accepted at Columbia, rejected at Stanford). I only applied to top programs due to already having been accepted to the PhD program in Biostatistics in my department (where I'm currently a Master's student). The other 5 programs I've applied to seem to have already sent out rounds of acceptances and/or rejections according to the results page, and I've gotten absolutely no news from any of them. I can't really be on that many waitlists, can I? This wait is killing me...

On 2/20/2019 at 1:41 AM, suelol said:

As far as I know, they don't have fast track option, but they do consider their masters in a separate pool from external applicants, and will admit around 2-3 of them.

Thanks for the info.

I also got accepted to fully funded UMich fast track MS-PhD in Biostat.

I'll choose UMich over Harvard MS if the latter is unfunded.

Is there anyone applying to MA Stat in Columbia?

I wonder when to get a result... it seems like they sent out results in end of Feb - mid Mar last year, but their website states "most  decisions are not communicated until the end of April"

Does anyone know when we can hear back?

6 hours ago, Tomo said:

Is there anyone applying to MA Stat in Columbia?

I wonder when to get a result... it seems like they sent out results in end of Feb - mid Mar last year, but their website states "most  decisions are not communicated until the end of April"

Does anyone know when we can hear back?

I think they r doing rolling admissions. Some people got the results in early Feb, some people may have to wait until May. BTW the deadline for application is May 31st, so definitely no need to worry at this point.

@ducky500 Hard to say.  Previous years suggests that they sometimes send out unfunded acceptances, which would probably kinda double as the waitlist -- you may get that instead.  I'd say to at least give it a couple days before you totally assume a rejection (or even totally assume something other than an acceptance).  In any case, hearing nothing is better than an outright rejection for now.  

@BL250604 So far as I know, Ohio State's only visit day was this past week, and it's getting kinda late in the cycle.  Bayessays mentioned that they offer people even in April sometimes, but if they might do so with you, then you need to start really researching them to decide how much you like it.  As such, I'd say that you probably should call them to get a sense of what's going on with your application status.

There are several people here who went to Ohio State's visit week -- I'm one, so you can DM me if you want a rundown of the visit, and I bet the others would be willing to offer their perspectives too if you asked.

Edited by Geococcyx
Incontinence of the metaphorical vocal chords

Can anyone who applied to Purdue's PhD program speak to the results posted earlier? I haven't heard anything yet from them but things aren't looking too great with the no TA acceptance and the accepted to Masters not PhD deal.

@BL250604 I was at that visit as well if you end up wanting some information! A lot of people there (including myself) weren't 100% set on going there since visits are still going on for other schools, but I definitely have a better opinion of the program after visiting. 

I apologize for double-posting, as well as for potentially being the bearer of bad news.  However, if any of y'all were waiting for some finality regarding Johns Hopkins biostat, I think the decisions (rejections, I think, at this point) are up on the website, although I haven't gotten an email about it yet.

44 minutes ago, Geococcyx said:

I apologize for double-posting, as well as for potentially being the bearer of bad news.  However, if any of y'all were waiting for some finality regarding Johns Hopkins biostat, I think the decisions (rejections, I think, at this point) are up on the website, although I haven't gotten an email about it yet.

Can confirm. I didn't get an email but the rejection was waiting for me on the site.