Fall 2019 Statistics Applicant Thread

2 hours ago, Geococcyx said:

@Tucker154  Stat or Biostat?  For stat, they sent out a google doc a few days ago to see if anyone was ready to commit or decline, or else if they were leaning towards or against coming.  If people are waitlisted for stat, I'd imagine they'd start to find out acceptances pretty soon, once more people respond to that.

I meant the stats phd program. Thanks! I take it those who haven't heard back yet probably got rejected then.

Anyone heard back from UNC biostatistics PhD? I emailed them last week and was told that I was on the wait list and should expect to hear from them soon. 

2 minutes ago, lolstats said:

really would like to respond to my current offers asap, but still waiting for Wisc and UMich... the waiting game is suffocating

I don’t understand what Umich is doing right now...It seems that the faculty cannot make a decision. Just out of curiosity, which schools are you admitted to?

Finally decided to email all the programs keeping me waiting to ask why I don't have a decision from them yet... Haven't heard back from Harvard, Chicago, or Michigan. The program coordinator at Washington told me I am on the waitlist but was unable to tell me anything about my odds of being accepted, and Berkeley told me that I am on an unofficial waitlist but that it is unlikely that I'll get an offer. Looks like I'll be waiting until April 15th...

Edited by lazo

Don't know if anyone else is waiting on Caltech CMS, but finally got a response from the program coordinator there; they are finalizing offers and applicants should expect a response next week. I haven't been contacted or interviewed by anyone there, so I have 0 chance, just thought I'd pass the info along.

Anyone hear anything from Wisconsin? Also, if anyone who was accepted to Wisconsin but doesn’t plan on going, could you please decline. Thank you.

Edited by ducky500

Checked my UMass Application today, I applied for both the PhD and MS there. It no longer lists my application as a PhD application but says "Academic Plan- Statistics MS," Not sure if this means they're close to making decisions

Edit: It also lists the plan as on their Newton satellite campus, so their decisions could be interesting this year

Edited by danny1997

Anyone else hear back from UVA today? I was waitlisted just now and I was wondering about how long the list of accepted students is/ how many of you are planning on declining the offer

3 hours ago, danny1997 said:

Anyone else hear back from UVA today? I was waitlisted just now and I was wondering about how long the list of accepted students is/ how many of you are planning on declining the offer

waitlisted for the PhD as well

Reply from UCLA Biostats ... hate the waiting game... :(

You will receive and email with official notification of our decision on your UCLA Biostat application from UCLA Graduate Division once the review of your application is complete.

When is it acceptable to email about a waitlist? I was waitlisted to Wake Forest in early March and wasn't sure when I should ask about the chances of making the cut.

6 minutes ago, danny1997 said:

When is it acceptable to email about a waitlist? I was waitlisted to Wake Forest in early March and wasn't sure when I should ask about the chances of making the cut.

I would err on the side of showing interest rather than avoiding being a nuisance. Meaning, I would email sooner rather than later. But, I don't work in adcoms, so take it with a grain of salt.

On 3/24/2019 at 10:48 PM, Sansa314 said:

Has any one heard from Santa Barbara?

I have not heard anything. They sent out offers in February and haven't seen anything since. Still waiting for word from Toronto and Ohio as well.

Has anyone heard from Rutgers since they accepted the first group? At this point I assume rejection, but it seems odd that they haven’t said anything.

Just to keep folks updated, I've declined every program that isn't in North Carolina, so that's Ohio State and UCLA previously, and more recently Illinois, Wisconsin, and waitlist spots at Pittsburgh and Minnesota.  I'm not planning on saying which of Duke stat, UNC biostat, or NC State stat I end up accepting (for privacy, since I'd like to help people on this forum in upcoming years), but I recall seeing people on the waitlist for all three places on this forum, so I'll try to make my decision as quickly as I can.  For those with NC State waitlist spots, I just got off theirs this morning, so there may still be some chance for y'all if you hold on for a bit.