Fall 2019 Statistics Applicant Thread

When accepted to a program (via a generic acceptance email), am I expected to respond with enthusiasm? It didn't strike me as the type of email I should reply to, so I simply closed it and plan on attending the Visit Day once more info becomes available. Is this acceptable?

1 hour ago, galois said:

When accepted to a program (via a generic acceptance email), am I expected to respond with enthusiasm? It didn't strike me as the type of email I should reply to, so I simply closed it and plan on attending the Visit Day once more info becomes available. Is this acceptable?

If the email is from a human and addressed to you, I'd probably respond with a "Thank you, I look forward to attending the visit day.". You'll have to reply to someone to organize the visit anyways, right?

On 1/11/2019 at 5:20 PM, orchidnora said:

In my current department, the specified hours for a TA position are really an upper bound for the amount of time it could take (my teaching duties only take me half the specified time). Hopefully it's the same at NCSU. Somebody else on here probably knows better than I do though 

I'm a current master's student at NC State and a lot of my friends are PhD students with TA positions. The hours are nowhere near 20 hours. They're usually not even 10 hours tbh. So no need to worry about that. Especially for first-year students the TA positions will have fewer hours as first-year classes are difficult. Also, they told me that their first email from the department informing them of acceptance all said TA, even though some of them ended up with other positions or fellowships later on. I think the email with TA information is just their generic way of telling us that there will be funding. 

Thanks for the info, tropicannie!

Would you happen to know what the starting cohort size generally is for the statistics doctoral program at NC State?

Also, what is your opinion of the graduate advising at NC State? I know that it is a large program, so it seems that it might be easy to get lost in the shuffle.

Edited by Cavalerius

On 1/15/2019 at 12:51 PM, Cavalerius said:

Thanks for the info, tropicannie!

Would you happen to know what the starting cohort size generally is for the statistics doctoral program at NC State?

Also, what is your opinion of the graduate advising at NC State? I know that it is a large program, so it seems that it might be easy to get lost in the shuffle.

The starting cohort size is ~30 I'd say. In terms of graduate advising, you are correct that it is a very large program. You totally can get lost in the shuffle, but if you try to make connections with professors, they are all generally very nice and want to help. I also love the peers here and the PhD students all bond over taking the same first-year classes.

@tropicannie Hi I have some question about nc state's master program.

do you know how heavy the workload is for the summer online session? Is it possible to work full time over summer while taking the summer classes?

also, does the Phd program at ncsu admit many students from its master program? (I understand its not a pipeline program, but is it likely to make the jump from master to phd in such short program)

5 hours ago, CarolinaSmash said:

@tropicannie Hi I have some question about nc state's master program.

do you know how heavy the workload is for the summer online session? Is it possible to work full time over summer while taking the summer classes?

also, does the Phd program at ncsu admit many students from its master program? (I understand its not a pipeline program, but is it likely to make the jump from master to phd in such short program)

I'm sorry I actually don't know much about the summer session. I am doing the phd-track master's program, so I didn't have to take the summer classes. It seems like from the 1-year masters program to the phd program won't be easy, but being at ncsu would probably help your application a little bit as you already some of the professors (recs from the department professors would be helpful). I'm sorry I'm not much help with these questions. 

Congrats, mathstat! The UNC visit day looks to be scheduled for the 22nd of Feb. I assume that the program has one visit day for all admitted students. They have to know that theirs is the same day as NC State's, right?

Also, mathstat, you applied to nearly 20 schools? Your profile looks excellent. What led you to apply to so many? How will you decide where to go?

(I ask because one of my advisers suggested that I apply to just two schools (!), although I did end up applying to more than that. Already, though, it is becoming difficult to decide which to attend next year.)

Edited by Cavalerius

3 hours ago, Cavalerius said:

Hey, for those accepted to UNC, into what program were you accepted? 

Also, if anyone was accepted into both NC State and UNC, what are you doing about the visit days being the same for the two programs?

Did you get an email from NC State about visit day?

Dang! I was hoping for UNC. Does anyone know how they typically roll out their admissions? I find it odd that only two acceptances were sent out, and on a Sunday no less (at least, only two acceptances to members of this forum..). Perhaps they stagger them for a few weeks? Hopefully? ?

2 hours ago, Cavalerius said:

Congrats, mathstat! The UNC visit day looks to be scheduled for the 22nd of Feb. I assume that the program has one visit day for all admitted students. They have to know that theirs is the same day as NC State's, right?

Also, mathstat, you applied to nearly 20 schools? Your profile looks excellent. What led you to apply to so many? How will you decide where to go?

(I ask because one of my advisers suggested that I apply to just two schools (!), although I did end up applying to more than that. Already, though, it is becoming difficult to decide which to attend next year.)

I see, well... I already booked my tickets for Ohio State's Feb 22nd visit. Since I am in the Research Triangle area, I guess I will schedule independent visits for UNC and NC State. 

I ended up applying to exactly 20 schools, because I had no back-up plan and wanted to ensure I get into a PhD program with reasonable funding. Don't know how I'll decide, will have to wait and see all my offers first :)

Also, 2 seems extremely risky, unless you have (by some means) the certainty you can get into one of them. I definitely didn't have that certainty.  

10 minutes ago, galois said:

Dang! I was hoping for UNC. Does anyone know how they typically roll out their admissions? I find it odd that only two acceptances were sent out, and on a Sunday no less (at least, only two acceptances to members of this forum..). Perhaps they stagger them for a few weeks? Hopefully? ?

Haha, I was hoping the same thing! I logged in to check my application and it still says submitted (like it has been since November...), so fingers crossed. 

Hello! I was the second person who posted admission to UNC on the results page. I was also (like MathStat) admitted to the stats PhD program - and I forgot to list in the results that I'm a domestic applicant.

Ok, so question (sorry if this isn't an appropriate place to ask): What would be a normal timeframe for deciding on whether or not to accept the offer from UNC? In particular - if anyone here is familiar - is it unreasonable not to decide until after the visit day (Feb. 22, as Cavalerius mentioned), or would this be typical/expected? I quite like UNC's program and am fairly likely to take their offer, but given that their letter was my first from any of the schools to which I applied and that I'm a tad reticent to commit to attending somewhere for several years sight entirely unseen, I'm somewhat leery of accepting right now and taking all other options off the table.

Edited by someone001

2 hours ago, someone001 said:

Is it unreasonable not to decide until after the visit day (Feb. 22, as Cavalerius mentioned), or would this be typical/expected? I quite like UNC's program and am fairly likely to take their offer, but given that their letter was my first from any of the schools to which I applied and that I'm a tad reticent to commit to attending somewhere for several years sight entirely unseen, I'm somewhat leery of accepting right now and taking all other options off the table.

Absolutely don't take the offer till after the visit day. This is expected. Any program who pressures you to take an offer before March, yet alone before April, would be a huge red flag. 

1 hour ago, BL250604 said:

Just a question- At what point is it appropriate to reach out to programs to see when we should hear back? I know its early, but I wanted to see what a good rule of thumb is. Is it early march? Thanks!

Yeah I would say that would generally be fine.