Fall 2019 Statistics Applicant Thread

@Monte Carlo Guess they're really setting us up for the ole' "This year's batch of applicants was the most qualified in department history, and we had to make some very tough decisions" email.  I wish we heard the second wave of NC State admissions too, but I guess all the application envelopes in the research triangle got put in the wrong P.O. box or something.

Also, just had a professor reference my statement of purpose in an interview, so either I'm a weirder candidate than I thought or that's more of a thing now.

9 minutes ago, Geococcyx said:

I wish we heard the second wave of NC State admissions too, but I guess all the application envelopes in the research triangle got put in the wrong P.O. box or something.

Last year today (Friday 26) NC state sent all the waitlists... but since their first round of acceptances was before the app deadline I'm holding out hope

For anyone who has been accepted by Texas A&M, do you know when the visit day will be held, or does anyone know when the visit day has been held in the past? A&M is my top choice, so I want to make sure that I am able to attend the visit day if I am admitted.

@ducky500, have you heard back from A&M yet? The website states that admission is rolling, but I am not sure what that means for admissions notifications, especially if one hopes to obtain a fellowship.

Edited by Cavalerius

3 minutes ago, Cavalerius said:

For anyone who has been accepted by Texas A&M, do you know when the visit day will be held, or does anyone know when the visit day has been held in the past? A&M is my top choice, so I want to make sure that I am able to attend the visit day if I am admitted.

I haven't been informed of a visit day yet. My hunch is that I was admitted earlier than some applicants, because of my fellowship nomination (I have to fill out an application for it that is due next week). In that case, maybe the other admits haven't even been decided or notified yet. 

27 minutes ago, Cavalerius said:

@ducky500, have you heard back from A&M yet? The website states that admission is rolling, but I am not sure what that means for admissions notifications, especially if one hopes to obtain a fellowship.

I was also accepted to TAMU w a fellowship nomination and emailed the dept about a visit day. They said they dont have one planned but may see if several people can come at once. Otherwise, visits will be on an individual basis.

1 hour ago, Gill1990 said:

Are they sending out to domestic applicants only? Any International students here receive the interview request from Washington Biostatistics? 

I think they only interview domestics. Is it just me that this year's international students competition is crazy, as domestic students results are already out from multiple programs?

9 minutes ago, galois said:

I see a Duke PhD acceptance in results. Is that legit? I thought they interview everyone first?

I think so too! But I was told that they don't interview their own students. So I guess maybe s/he's from Duke???

4 hours ago, galois said:

I see a Duke PhD acceptance in results. Is that legit? I thought they interview everyone first?

I wouldn't take everything you read on thegradcafe as gospel... For instance in the math results, there's someone (or maybe a group of people) who keeps on putting fake acceptances. It's better to just be patient and stop obsessing over the Results page (easier said than done, I know).

Edited by lazo

I literally just got emailed by Duke to check the application portal, and it was an acceptance letter from the department!!! I am beyond ecstatic, after checking my email almost constantly since last week. This is the first correspondence I've had from Duke (there was no request for an interview or anything like that). 

Congrats @orchidnora! That's awesome. It seems they must be doing something differently, I was under the impression they interviewed everyone first. Very cool! Can't pretend I'm not insanely jealous, but very happy for you regardless!

I see in the results someone said Interview notified by Postal Service? Strange, if true. Gotta start obsessively checking my mailbox in addition to email?

6 minutes ago, galois said:

Congrats @orchidnora! That's awesome. It seems they must be doing something differently, I was under the impression they interviewed everyone first. Very cool! Can't pretend I'm not insanely jealous, but very happy for you regardless!

I see in the results someone said Interview notified by Postal Service? Strange, if true. Gotta start obsessively checking my mailbox in addition to email?

Thank you!! I almost had a heart attack when I got an email from Duke, and I immediately assumed I was rejected (since it only said to check the application portal, plus I also thought they do interviews). But I guess this time they're only interviewing some applicants. 

12 minutes ago, Monte Carlo said:

I submitted applications to both PhD and MS at Duke. In my application portal, under PhD notifications, the "no notification" became clickable since last week, but nothing pops up after I click it. Is it the same for everybody?

I applied for the PhD program and my "no notification" is normal (non-clickable) ?

Congrats, @orchidnora and @blehperson ! That's awesome!