Fall 2019 Statistics Applicant Thread

30 minutes ago, yukichi said:

I'm kind of regretting my decision to not apply to NC State (even though their major focuses in computational stats + biostats aren't my main research interests) simply because I would have probably heard something from them by now. Silence from 9 programs is disheartening. 

Haven't heard anything from NCSU yet... feeling desperate

I also haven't really heard back from a lot of programs, but I'm thinking of it as being somewhat good news? Because silence isn't a "no"; you're still in the running, so to speak. I was rejected from some very competitive summer programs last year and the one where I had the highest chances took the longest to turn me down.

On 1/30/2019 at 10:24 AM, blehperson said:

anyone get a Chicago PhD decision today?

On 1/30/2019 at 11:38 AM, lazo said:

I could be wrong, but I’m a little doubtful about the acceptance on the Results page given that the entire school is shut down today due to the polar vortex.

I got my decision from UChicago today, I guess the school is no longer shut down

45 minutes ago, lolstats said:

Is there anyone who haven't heard anything from NCSU yet? I've heard there were some offers sent last Friday, but I still have nothing so far (no offer, no rej, no wl)

I got nothing too

Assuming you mean statistics, there is that one result that said they got an interview invitation on Jan 31st.  I haven't heard anything from them, and I'm guessing enough people on the forums applied there that there would be more noise if anything was coming out in big waves, so I wouldn't worry too much.

No idea about biostatistics, albeit it looks like both degrees' results start coming out now or later.

Edited by Geococcyx
English grammar

My friend just reported an acceptance from Stanford. Looks like Stanford Stats is sending out acceptances right now. I didn't get any news, but Stanford was always a super long-shot for me, so I'm not too bummed about it. I'm really excited for him though! 

Edited by lazo

@yuizu221  I mentioned it earlier in this thread, but there were at least 11 NCSU waitlistings reported last year without any notes of acceptances off of it (from what I recall).  However, there was at least one acceptance off of the waitlist in 2017 reported, with less gradcafe folks reporting waitlistings (5 or 6, if memory serves).  In general, I'd say not to get your hopes up, but it's not impossible for people to get off of the NCSU waitlist -- I'm just of the impression that due to their gigantic cohorts, their waitlist is correspondingly large as well, and given that NCSU is pretty good and doesn't get turned down by a ton of people, there's a pretty low chance that any particular person gets off the waitlist.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I just want to ask, to those who got waitlist e-mail from NCSU, did the e-mail explicitly say that you guys are on the waitlist? I received an e-mail today telling my application is still on the review process. It further asked me if I would be interested in the MS degree option for PhD degree. I am not sure if this track guarantees the admission for the Ph.D. program. Is this something different from what other applicants received?