Fall 2019 Statistics Applicant Thread

4 minutes ago, ducky500 said:

@StuartLittle Were the people who visited applying for MA in Statistics or was it mostly PhD? If I have not received anything does it mean most likely rejection?

I heard that they were Master's students. I am sure that is not the official visit, the official visit day is usually late February, which was mine last year.

Your chances are decreasing but believe in yourself! :) Let me know how it goes, or PM me when you have a result!

12 minutes ago, ducky500 said:

Thanks for the encouragement @StuartLittle. I just realized that I never uploaded fall grades, should I have done this although they never specifially sent me a separate email about it.

If your fall grades are impressive, sure do! Otherwise, it's better not to. :)

@StuartLittle I'm in the same boat as ducky500. You were mentioning something about different "waves" of acceptances for Yale MA Statistics; is it really typical for there to be multiple waves like this, and if so how are they spaced apart? Thanks!!

Looking through the "Results" thread it seems like most previous admits received their acceptances late Jan/early Feb, so I'm not too thrilled about my chances at this point...

Edited by theduckster

4 minutes ago, theduckster said:

@StuartLittle I'm in the same boat as ducky500. You were mentioning something about different "waves" of acceptances for Yale MA Statistics; is it really typical for there to be multiple waves like this, and if so how are they spaced apart? Thanks!!

Looking through the "Results" thread it seems like most previous admits received their acceptances late Jan/early Feb, so I'm not too thrilled about my chances at this point...

Sorry I should have been more clear. I think the wave is just those who got off the waitlist. Our department is relative small (though increasing), but they might have sent out most of their offers in one go (late Jan / early Feb).

Last year, I was one of the 35 accepted students out of over 400 applicants.

Edited by StuartLittle

2 minutes ago, ducky500 said:

@StuartLittle What do you think Yale looks for. I thought i had an okay shot, went to a top 20 school, took a bunch of grad math courses during undergrad and high gpa. this makes me nervous for all the schools i applied to that i haven't heard from.

For me it looks like my recommendation letter, past research experience and personal statement that stood out I suppose. My GRE Q score was low, grades were pretty good, and no grad courses done.

9 minutes ago, ducky500 said:

@StuartLittle What do you think Yale looks for. I thought i had an okay shot, went to a top 20 school, took a bunch of grad math courses during undergrad and high gpa. this makes me nervous for all the schools i applied to that i haven't heard from.

Did you only apply to top tier schools? I would say you still have 90% chance to get into at least one school in the month of February.

I have no idea how this happened but I got into University of Washington. I got the email at 12:30am EST after a few glasses of wine and was incredibly confused but so excited.

The good news continued this morning with an acceptance from UCLA.

This is gonna be tough. UW was like my number one school but my wife realllly wants to be in southern California..

2 hours ago, lazo said:

Looks like rejections are coming out for UChicago Statistics. I just checked my portal and I don’t see anything, so I’m not sure where this leaves me. Looks like it’ll be more anxious waiting though...

I checked my portal and email as well and nothing yet.. Maybe Chicago is doing their process in waves?  This waiting game is surprisingly stressful. I should really do something better with my time! ? Good luck to all of us waiting! 

2 hours ago, hopesandprayers said:

Has anyone heard from Columbia, CMU or Harvard? (regular PhD, not Biostats)  The waiting game is actually eating my soul right now.

Nothing yet from Columbia or CMU for the regular PhD. Didn't apply to Harvard, so not sure there. 

Edited by yukichi
Elaborated on post