UMich MSW Program Fall 2019 Admissions

ML878

8 hours ago, rach19 said:

Hey when did you get your information for wolverine access?  I applied in January and I haven't gotten any sort of email with info on it.

I already had it from last year when I was waitlisted. Last year I applied just before December 1, and I received the email to set up a friend account about a month later, then the decision came about a month after that. I don't know if the timeline is different after the priority deadline, though. This year I received my decision on December 21.

1 hour ago, MegXD said:

I never received wolverine access account information either. And when I went back through my junk mail, it’s only saved through the last 30 days. 

Try a search of mitch@umich.edu. If that doesn’t work, the subject title of my email was: UM-SSW Application Received - Follow-up Instructions. I hope this helps. I would definitely send an email or call, you should have received something ?

2 hours ago, Tomlinson87 said:

They emailed me last week to set up an interview. Earliest 27 Feb.

Thanks for replying! When did you apply, if you don't mind me asking? I submitted later (1/31) so I'm trying to figure out when I might hear back :)

On 2/1/2019 at 7:59 PM, sef817 said:

Hi! I was accepted to the 20 month Int Prac/Mental Health program. I wanted to post on here about my experience because it seems like some others are confused like I was when I got the decision email. This is what happened to me: I got an email on December 21 notifying me that I'd been accepted and would receive official word in a few weeks. When I went on the wolverine access page I saw the acceptance but didn't see an official letter. Finally, on January 28th I received an email with the official decision letter attached.

Hi all,

just wanted to provide an update that I finally received fin aid info, specially info on my special programs application. I submitted to 3 and found out the status of 2 of them: declined for detroit clinical scholars, accepted for HRSA integrated behavioral health trainee program. The third, integrated health, I’m not sure if they’re still deciding or if they mistakenly left out the rejection letter in my package? Other than the special program notice, I didn’t receive other merit awards. Did anyone else get their package yet? Is it the norm to only receive a special program award (if you applied for it) and not any other merit awards?

I am extremely excited about this award for sure—it’s making my ability to go to UM more of a reality!!!

On 2/15/2019 at 8:55 AM, Tomlinson87 said:

Can anyone here fill me in on what the interview is like? How I should prepare other than fine tooth combing my application?

If you have any idea why they requested an interview (I think usually to address a weakness in your application), then be prepared to discuss that. My interview was very informal and friendly; I requested it after I was placed on the wait list. Good luck!

On 2/15/2019 at 8:44 AM, ML878 said:

Hi all,

just wanted to provide an update that I finally received fin aid info, specially info on my special programs application. I submitted to 3 and found out the status of 2 of them: declined for detroit clinical scholars, accepted for HRSA integrated behavioral health trainee program. The third, integrated health, I’m not sure if they’re still deciding or if they mistakenly left out the rejection letter in my package? Other than the special program notice, I didn’t receive other merit awards. Did anyone else get their package yet? Is it the norm to only receive a special program award (if you applied for it) and not any other merit awards?

I am extremely excited about this award for sure—it’s making my ability to go to UM more of a reality!!!

I only applied to integrated health and haven't heard back yet, either. They need to come through to make it financially appealing haha! My award status still says $0 so I'm hoping that isn't final. I have financial means to pay, but I will have to pay taxes on stock sales so I was hoping to receive at least something to offset the cost. congratulations on HRSA! Are you doing medical social work? I am :)

1 hour ago, hilaryp said:

I only applied to integrated health and haven't heard back yet, either. They need to come through to make it financially appealing haha! My award status still says $0 so I'm hoping that isn't final. I have financial means to pay, but I will have to pay taxes on stock sales so I was hoping to receive at least something to offset the cost. congratulations on HRSA! Are you doing medical social work? I am :)

I asked about the status of my integrated health application and I was told the committee is still deciding. Not sure when we can expect to hear back, but hopefully in the next week or so! And the School of Social Work will email out a separate fin aid award, so if you’re checking wolverine for your fin aid package, you probably won’t see any updates just yet (unfortunately!!) 

And thank you!! Yes, I’m planning to do medical social work as well. Are you decided on UM or are you still waiting on other schools? It’s just so expensive, I’m not sure if I can justify the price.... ?

46 minutes ago, Tomlinson87 said:

So, Boston University rejected me yesterday. Interview or no interview, don’t think I’ll get accepted to UMich if I can’t  get in BU. ?

Hey, I'm sorry to hear this, but tbh I feel like BU is kinda weird. They were my only rejection last year - I was accepted at Columbia, Tulane, and Simmons. Waitlisted at BC before eventually being accepted off the waitlist. I ended up having to turn them all down due to financial concerns, but I guess what I'm saying is, don't lose hope? MSW admissions are odd and just because you got a rejection from one school doesn't necessarily mean you will be rejected from a "higher-ranked" school. Keep your head up and look at the interview as an opportunity. You deserve this just as much as anyone else, you're just as worthy and you're gonna make a great social worker. That's what I try and tell myself, anyway. :)

7 minutes ago, doctormelody said:

Hey, I'm sorry to hear this, but tbh I feel like BU is kinda weird. They were my only rejection last year - I was accepted at Columbia, Tulane, and Simmons. Waitlisted at BC before eventually being accepted off the waitlist. I ended up having to turn them all down due to financial concerns, but I guess what I'm saying is, don't lose hope? MSW admissions are odd and just because you got a rejection from one school doesn't necessarily mean you will be rejected from a "higher-ranked" school. Keep your head up and look at the interview as an opportunity. You deserve this just as much as anyone else, you're just as worthy and you're gonna make a great social worker. That's what I try and tell myself, anyway. :)

Thank you, that was uplifting. It took everything in me not to go buy alcohol and pizza. I can’t imagine your situation last year ? I’m sorry.

2 minutes ago, Tomlinson87 said:

Thank you, that was uplifting. It took everything in me not to go buy alcohol and pizza. I can’t imagine your situation last year ? I’m sorry.

You're welcome! I understand, it's a crappy feeling. And it's okay, I just wasn't very strategic about where I applied, but I learned my lesson and everything is gonna be fine now. Remind me where else you've applied again? Have you had any acceptances yet?

University of Southern California online program, Simmons lost a transcript, BC,waiting on my recommender to submit letter after reminding 3 times.

My friend suggested Saint Leo since they are veteran friendly.

I haven’t been accepted anywhere yet.

Edited by Tomlinson87

1 hour ago, ML878 said:

I asked about the status of my integrated health application and I was told the committee is still deciding. Not sure when we can expect to hear back, but hopefully in the next week or so! And the School of Social Work will email out a separate fin aid award, so if you’re checking wolverine for your fin aid package, you probably won’t see any updates just yet (unfortunately!!) 

And thank you!! Yes, I’m planning to do medical social work as well. Are you decided on UM or are you still waiting on other schools? It’s just so expensive, I’m not sure if I can justify the price.... ?

I'm pretty much decided that I will go to UMich because I think it's the best fit for me, but I'd like a financial picture before totally committing. It is expensive, especially for a degree that pays the same regardless of the school you go to. On the other hand, I don't want to pay less and be less likely to pass the exam or be hired. 

1 hour ago, hilaryp said:

I'm pretty much decided that I will go to UMich because I think it's the best fit for me, but I'd like a financial picture before totally committing. It is expensive, especially for a degree that pays the same regardless of the school you go to. On the other hand, I don't want to pay less and be less likely to pass the exam or be hired. 

Yea, the HRSA program is an amazing opportunity and fits my career interests really well. I am definitely leaning towards UM because of this, so am now just trying to figure out ways to finance this degree.

I think with any CSWE accredited school, our chances of passing the exam or being hired are about the same, though I’m sure the name would certainly give a leg up, especially if we ever want to move into more management or admin roles later on!

I finally received my wolverine access information a day after I called and asked about it, now I am patiently waiting to hear back. I'm starting to worry about not hearing back from anyone, but this has encouraged me to apply to Pitt, WashU, and University of Texas- Arlington on top of UMich and Wisconsin. I'm just checking and checking all of my application links and waiting for a decision. I'm a little nervous that HRSA applicants are being notified as that was the scholar program I applied for, but whatever will be will be. The wait continues I guess..

1 hour ago, rach19 said:

I finally received my wolverine access information a day after I called and asked about it, now I am patiently waiting to hear back. I'm starting to worry about not hearing back from anyone, but this has encouraged me to apply to Pitt, WashU, and University of Texas- Arlington on top of UMich and Wisconsin. I'm just checking and checking all of my application links and waiting for a decision. I'm a little nervous that HRSA applicants are being notified as that was the scholar program I applied for, but whatever will be will be. The wait continues I guess..

That’s odd it took so long for you to receive the log-in, but it’s great you finally have access to it! I’ll be crossing my fingers for you—no one else has responded about special program acceptances so maybe I just found out sooner because I applied to it earlier? I submitted my app for the HRSA program on Dec 1st along with my MSW application. Regardless, good luck!! Waiting always sucks!

18 minutes ago, rach19 said:

I received my acceptance today!!! I'm so excited, this was my #1 choice, now I just have to wait to hear back about the scholarship program/ financial package!! 

Congrats, my interview is next week.