NYU MSW Fall 2019!?

Capturedvitality

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have any experience with getting the official report for the "International Evaluation of Education and Credentials"? I went to McGill University (Montreal, Canada) for my undergrad and am not sure if my school is exempt from needing a report and if not, how I would go about obtaining one! TIA

3 hours ago, ss0112 said:

Does anyone have any experience with getting the official report for the "International Evaluation of Education and Credentials"? I went to McGill University (Montreal, Canada) for my undergrad and am not sure if my school is exempt from needing a report and if not, how I would go about obtaining one! TIA

Wish I could help. No idea. 

I actually just gave them a call and they say that it is waived for my school! For anyone else wondering: I'm not sure about other Canadian universities, but I'm assuming it would be the same policy! 

1 hour ago, kkhyl said:

I just received my acceptance from NYU today with a 15k per year scholarship. I'm on the Shanghai/NYC pathway.  I'm going to commit as it was the only grad school I applied to. 

Good luck everyone!

Awesome congrats! When did you apply? 

4 hours ago, kkhyl said:

I just received my acceptance from NYU today with a 15k per year scholarship. I'm on the Shanghai/NYC pathway.  I'm going to commit as it was the only grad school I applied to. 

Good luck everyone!

Congrats!!!! do you mind sharing your stats and when you applied? 

6 hours ago, ddd777 said:

Congrats!!!! do you mind sharing your stats and when you applied? 

Hey! I applied literally on Christmas Day but one of my letters of recommendation did not come until two days before the application deadline. 

My stats:

3.7 overall GPA / 3.9 GPA in my Sociology major

I wrote a senior thesis on trauma informed care that also won an award.

I interned at a DV shelter for one year, another internship at a low income housing non profit for 6 months, and I worked with an on campus organization for students from adverse childhood backgrounds for all four years of my undergraduate career. 

Overall, I focused really hard on my essay, it took me two months to write my essay. I edited it a million times and had it checked by my professors and close friends. I think MSW programs focus on the personal essay the most, along with experience. I made sure to write about my life and combined it with my love for social work and my experience in the field.

I also currently live in South Korea and teach English here. I tied that into my desire to participate in the Shanghai/NYC pathway.

Edited by kkhyl
Sorry I accidentally submitted my comment before finishing writing.

5 hours ago, mswguy said:

On Friday, I received my acceptance to NYU main campus 2-year program with a 15k in scholarship for the first year. Super excited, but also waiting to see my other results and weigh my options!

When did you apply. Trying to track when I may hear back! Also congrats! 

3 hours ago, Capturedvitality said:

When did you apply. Trying to track when I may hear back! Also congrats! 

Thanks! I submitted my app 1/3, but it wasn't complete until my last letter of rec was submitted 1/11. 

1 minute ago, Capturedvitality said:

Oh man that’s not good for me... I completed 1/09.... hm

40 minutes ago, mswguy said:

Thanks! I submitted my app 1/3, but it wasn't complete until my last letter of rec was submitted 1/11. 

Maybe they started reviewing your application when you submitted on the 1/3. Ah this waiting is horrible! 

16 minutes ago, Capturedvitality said:

Maybe they started reviewing your application when you submitted on the 1/3. Ah this waiting is horrible! 

Yeah, I'm not sure! I was surprised at how quickly they turned it around. Best of luck!

50 minutes ago, ddd777 said:

do you mind sharing your stats?

Sure. Graduated with a BA in American Studies, cum. GPA of 3.8 

Spent my undergrad interning in education (youth centers & teachers ed for summer schools). After graduating I began working at a residential treatment facility, and soon after became a direct care supervisor. Now I work at a middle school in behavioral counseling.

On 1/21/2019 at 12:24 PM, mswguy said:

Sure. Graduated with a BA in American Studies, cum. GPA of 3.8 

Spent my undergrad interning in education (youth centers & teachers ed for summer schools). After graduating I began working at a residential treatment facility, and soon after became a direct care supervisor. Now I work at a middle school in behavioral counseling.

Hi @mswguy, congrats on the acceptance!! I was wondering, did you hear back via Email? Or did you have to check the application portal? 

have you guys received any emails from NYU? I received one email immediately after submitting my application saying that my application has been submitted. However, I haven't heard anything from them regarding the completion of my application or anything of the sort. I spoke to someone on the phone and they told me that my application is being reviewed and that they will need an official transcript eventually. IDK what that means.

2 minutes ago, ddd777 said:

have you guys received any emails from NYU? I received one email immediately after submitting my application saying that my application has been submitted. However, I haven't heard anything from them regarding the completion of my application or anything of the sort. I spoke to someone on the phone and they told me that my application is being reviewed and that they will need an official transcript eventually. IDK what that means.

Did you end up sending an unofficial copy of the transcript? That may be what they mean. If accepted most schools want an official unopened transcript from the school. 

41 minutes ago, ss0112 said:

Hi @mswguy, congrats on the acceptance!! I was wondering, did you hear back via Email? Or did you have to check the application portal? 

Was first sent an email that my admissions status changed which showed my acceptance on the portal. A few days later I received  an email as well!