NYU MSW Fall 2019!?

Capturedvitality

10 hours ago, cymsw1163 said:

I got into NYU last week! So pleased because it is one of my top choices and their turnaround was pretty quick! (Though that wait was excruciating!) Just a quick question, in my acceptance letter it said I had 8 weeks to make a decision to attend or not, but then I got another email regarding resumes and field placement forms. In that one it says these must be submitted 4 weeks after the offer of acceptance, after the decision to attend or not. Has anyone run into this issue? 

I think of the schools I applied to only UW (another top choice) will give a decision after the 4 week mark. But just wondering if anyone is also in the same boat and had some further information? 

I was accepted to NYU on 12/13 and knew that I wouldn't be able to make a decision by early February so I emailed the admissions office and asked for an extension until the end of March and they granted it. I'm not sure if that did anything to change the form deadlines... I doubt they would want us to turn them in before we official accept the offer though, right?

On 1/29/2019 at 10:33 AM, Mariah said:

Thank you! I will be financing my education with loans. In undergrad I have 20,000 in loans, which I feel is less than many others have. If I went to NYU, I would be living with my mom and commuting about an hour and a half via the path train. Rutgers would be about 18,000 a year and temple would be about 25,000. Rutgers I am in state and an hour away from, temple I am out of state and slightly over an hour away from. Temple will be getting back to me this week with scholarship information and NYU is helping me to appeal for more money But the cap is only 15,000

If i get into Stockton, I also applied for a assistantship, which would cover the costs of several credits. However i did not get in yet. 

I know I need more information from schools before I make a decision, but I am wondering if the name of a good school like NYU should take presidence over cost? 

Hi! I am also debating between schools that have a hefty price tag (expensive but great name value) v. a state school that naturally is cheaper. Rutgers is also in the mix for me, and while I haven't made a decision its important to remember that RU has a really good MSW program that is often name dropped when you ask people (on the east coast at least) where one should think about applying for MSW. So while it isn't an NYU, you still have a little name value and significantlyyyyy less in loans, especially considering we probably wont be making a crazy amount. 

But this is just me thinking from a more "reasonable" standpoint. I'm still debating lol

Yeah I've only recieved the scholarship information. I'm curious as to graduate assistantship opportunities. 

20 hours ago, ddd777 said:

Have you received your financial aid package yet? All i've gotten is a scholarship offer so far.

2 hours ago, goheels said:

Just got my acceptance with a $15,000 scholarship! Applied on Jan 31st. Surprised it was that quick!

Did you apply to the 2 year program or advanced standing? 

1 hour ago, Capturedvitality said:

Went to do a tour, Sit in on class and do an info session I love it. :) I will probably accept the offer pretty soon!

Awesome!! Congrats :) I’m doing the same in a few weeks!

On 2/8/2019 at 7:45 PM, Capturedvitality said:

Went to do a tour, Sit in on class and do an info session I love it. :) I will probably accept the offer pretty soon!

I was just accepted and I'm looking to visit the school soon too - how did you set up attending one of their classes?! I would love to do that!

2 hours ago, MSW1313 said:

thanks! was NYU your top choice / have you made a decision yet?

I accepted my offer. I didn’t know it would be until I was there. I lived in NY during undergrad and it’s a second home. I will be relocating from Tx. I love the quaint atmosphere and that it’s a close knit group inside a huge NYU system. It’s the best of both worlds :) the building is legit a famous painters old house. Fireplaces in some of the classrooms I love it. Also the class I sat in I felt was easy to apply to every day practice! Lots of positives. The move and rent will be the negatives but I will trek on.  

1 minute ago, Capturedvitality said:

I accepted my offer. I didn’t know it would be until I was there. I lived in NY during undergrad and it’s a second home. I will be relocating from Tx. I love the quaint atmosphere and that it’s a close knit group inside a huge NYU system. It’s the best of both worlds :) the building is legit a famous painters old house. Fireplaces in some of the classrooms I love it. Also the class I sat in I felt was easy to apply to every day practice! Lots of positives. The move and rent will be the negatives but I will trek on.  

Congratulations! I'm so happy for you!

1 hour ago, Capturedvitality said:

The more I learn about the school and program, the more it’s becoming my top choice as well. I am SO excited to visit the campus. And I’ll be reaching out to sit it on a class as well - did you interact with the class or did they allow you to just observe?

54 minutes ago, MSW1313 said:

The more I learn about the school and program, the more it’s becoming my top choice as well. I am SO excited to visit the campus. And I’ll be reaching out to sit it on a class as well - did you interact with the class or did they allow you to just observe?

No I came early and talked to Students and then during the portion when we went over a case study and applied what he taught I was put in a small group. I bet its dependent on the teacher. 

Id email ASAP to tell them when you come. It was a bit of back and forth to get it set up. 

Where red are you visiting from?