Jump to content

Recommended Posts

32 minutes ago, ddd777 said:

I uploaded an unofficial transcript because that's what the portal asked for. My portal shows that everything has been submitted and he said they would need an official copy if I was admitted into the school! 

Yeah that sounds correct. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Grats.

just got accepted as well!!!!

I just received my acceptance from NYU today with a 15k per year scholarship. I'm on the Shanghai/NYC pathway.  I'm going to commit as it was the only grad school I applied to.  Good luck everyon

On 1/22/2019 at 3:41 PM, mswguy said:

Was first sent an email that my admissions status changed which showed my acceptance on the portal. A few days later I received  an email as well!

Once you submitted your application did you receive an email informing you that your application has been completed? I received an email telling me that mine has been submitted, but never one regarding completion

Link to post
Share on other sites

Kinda bracing myself for rejection at this point lol. I’m at a disadvantage because I just graduated last month and don’t have too much relevant experience. I applied to NYU a day before the deadline and from what I’ve seen on these forums and heard from friends who’ve gotten in, NYU is pretty quick to send admission decisions. I know rejections are usually sent out later which leads me to believe that’s probably the case for me :/ 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ddd777 said:

Kinda bracing myself for rejection at this point lol. I’m at a disadvantage because I just graduated last month and don’t have too much relevant experience. I applied to NYU a day before the deadline and from what I’ve seen on these forums and heard from friends who’ve gotten in, NYU is pretty quick to send admission decisions. I know rejections are usually sent out later which leads me to believe that’s probably the case for me ?

are you applying for the advanced standing? if so that could be a different admissions team. I sent mine in on 1/9 and heard back 1/23

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Capturedvitality said:

are you applying for the advanced standing? if so that could be a different admissions team. I sent mine in on 1/9 and heard back 1/23

Nah! I applied for the regular 2 year track. I applied on the 10th and haven’t heard anything yet 

Edited by ddd777
Link to post
Share on other sites

I was accepted into NYU for fall 2019! I am so excited as they have a strong clinical program, but I will have to commute an hour and a half and pay a heavy tuition price (I was awarded 12,000 in scholarships). I was also accepted into Rutgers, temple, and am waiting to hear back from Stockton. Any input? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Mariah said:

I was accepted into NYU for fall 2019! I am so excited as they have a strong clinical program, but I will have to commute an hour and a half and pay a heavy tuition price (I was awarded 12,000 in scholarships). I was also accepted into Rutgers, temple, and am waiting to hear back from Stockton. Any input? 

First of all, congratulations! It’s always good to have choices.

How will you be financing the rest? Loans? Do you already have debt from undergrad? Where do you wanna live/work after graduation? How much cheaper will Rutgers and Temple be? Do you qualify for in-state tuition at either? Sorry for all the questions but we need more info in order to help.

Edited by doctormelody
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, doctormelody said:

First of all, congratulations! It’s always good to have choices.

How will you be financing the rest? Loans? Do you already have debt from undergrad? Where do you wanna live/work after graduation? How much cheaper will Rutgers and Temple be? Do you qualify for in-state tuition at either? Sorry for all the questions but we need more info in order to help.

Thank you! I will be financing my education with loans. In undergrad I have 20,000 in loans, which I feel is less than many others have. If I went to NYU, I would be living with my mom and commuting about an hour and a half via the path train. Rutgers would be about 18,000 a year and temple would be about 25,000. Rutgers I am in state and an hour away from, temple I am out of state and slightly over an hour away from. Temple will be getting back to me this week with scholarship information and NYU is helping me to appeal for more money But the cap is only 15,000

If i get into Stockton, I also applied for a assistantship, which would cover the costs of several credits. However i did not get in yet. 

I know I need more information from schools before I make a decision, but I am wondering if the name of a good school like NYU should take presidence over cost? 

Edited by Mariah
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Mariah said:

Thank you! I will be financing my education with loans. In undergrad I have 20,000 in loans, which I feel is less than many others have. If I went to NYU, I would be living with my mom and commuting about an hour and a half via the path train. Rutgers would be about 18,000 a year and temple would be about 25,000. Rutgers I am in state and an hour away from, temple I am out of state and slightly over an hour away from. Temple will be getting back to me this week with scholarship information and NYU is helping me to appeal for more money But the cap is only 15,000

If i get into Stockton, I also applied for a assistantship, which would cover the costs of several credits. However i did not get in yet. 

I know I need more information from schools before I make a decision, but I am wondering if the name of a good school like NYU should take presidence over cost? 

Congrats!! Do u mind sharing stats and when you applied? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ddd777 said:

Congrats!! Do u mind sharing stats and when you applied? 

-My undergraduate major was psychology and I graduated with a 3.9 gpa 

-I was a research assistant for 2.5 years where I worked on collaborative research projects with undergraduate and graduate students examining constructs related to aggression, sexuality and substance use. I was also project lead for one research project. 

- I interned at center for family services where I worked as an advocate for victims of sexual assault and domestic violence. 

-I spent a summer with AmeriCorps where I was a volunteer for a summer camp in eastern Kentucky. 

 

Those are definitely my key points in my application. I also waitressed and worked several jobs since the age of 14. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Mariah said:

Thank you! I will be financing my education with loans. In undergrad I have 20,000 in loans, which I feel is less than many others have. If I went to NYU, I would be living with my mom and commuting about an hour and a half via the path train. Rutgers would be about 18,000 a year and temple would be about 25,000. Rutgers I am in state and an hour away from, temple I am out of state and slightly over an hour away from. Temple will be getting back to me this week with scholarship information and NYU is helping me to appeal for more money But the cap is only 15,000

If i get into Stockton, I also applied for a assistantship, which would cover the costs of several credits. However i did not get in yet. 

I know I need more information from schools before I make a decision, but I am wondering if the name of a good school like NYU should take presidence over cost? 

Gotcha. Yeah, $20,000 in loans for undergrad is not bad at all. I don’t think school name matters that much unless you plan to go on to do a PhD, and $64,000 is a lot to take out in loans for an MSW imho. I think you also have to take things like networking and field placement opportunities into account, though. If you want to work in NYC eventually it might be worth it to go to NYU because of the connections you’d make. Is living with your mom an option after you graduate? Might make sense to do that and take some time to focus on paying down your loans if you really want to go to NYU. 

Honestly, I’m recommend going to Rutgers because it sounds like the cheapest option and the easiest commute, but at the end of the day, only you know what’s best for you.

Another anecdote about school name - I went to NYU for undergrad, and it has never helped me the slightest bit in finding a job. This might be different though if you’re applying for social work jobs with an MSW rather than any job with my random BA. It also might have helped more if I’d stayed in the area after graduation, but who knows. It’s just something to consider.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, doctormelody said:

Gotcha. Yeah, $20,000 in loans for undergrad is not bad at all. I don’t think school name matters that much unless you plan to go on to do a PhD, and $64,000 is a lot to take out in loans for an MSW imho. I think you also have to take things like networking and field placement opportunities into account, though. If you want to work in NYC eventually it might be worth it to go to NYU because of the connections you’d make. Is living with your mom an option after you graduate? Might make sense to do that and take some time to focus on paying down your loans if you really want to go to NYU. 

Honestly, I’m recommend going to Rutgers because it sounds like the cheapest option and the easiest commute, but at the end of the day, only you know what’s best for you.

Another anecdote about school name - I went to NYU for undergrad, and it has never helped me the slightest bit in finding a job. This might be different though if you’re applying for social work jobs with an MSW rather than any job with my random BA. It also might have helped more if I’d stayed in the area after graduation, but who knows. It’s just something to consider.

Thank you for your reply. It's definitely going to be a tough decision, but it's hard to invest 64,000 into a degree that will not make me a lot of money. It seems that its better to save money on the MSW, even if I plant to complete a licensure to work as a LCSW. Thanks again! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Mariah said:

Thank you for your reply. It's definitely going to be a tough decision, but it's hard to invest 64,000 into a degree that will not make me a lot of money. It seems that its better to save money on the MSW, even if I plant to complete a licensure to work as a LCSW. Thanks again! 

Of course! Best of luck to you, whatever you decide.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I got accepted a couple of weeks ago to the full-time washington square campus, but the financial package is definitely weaker than what I would need to rationalize going living in NYC. I believe it was around $17K on top of AmeriCorps award.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mswlbg said:

I got accepted a couple of weeks ago to the full-time washigton square campus, but the financial package is definitely weaker than what I would need to rationalize going living in NYC. I believe it was around $17K on top of AmeriCorps award.

I think 17k is the most they give. If I go i am living in BK. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi everyone! New to these forums!

I just got accepted to NYU this morning. I received 17k in scholarship and applied on January 11th. Does anyone know if this is the most they give?

I am leaning more towards Fordham where I got accepted last week, but problem is the cost will now be the basically the same for the two schools so I am not sure what to do because NYU is great too.

I have heard that sometimes schools are willing to bump up their offers if competing schools gave you the more or the same offer (which Fordham and NYU are!) if you appeal... has anyone heard of this before?

Congrats and best of luck to everyone!

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, PurpleHippo321 said:

Hi everyone! New to these forums!

I just got accepted to NYU this morning. I received 17k in scholarship and applied on January 11th. Does anyone know if this is the most they give?

I am leaning more towards Fordham where I got accepted last week, but problem is the cost will now be the basically the same for the two schools so I am not sure what to do because NYU is great too.

I have heard that sometimes schools are willing to bump up their offers if competing schools gave you the more or the same offer (which Fordham and NYU are!) if you appeal... has anyone heard of this before?

Congrats and best of luck to everyone!

congrats! do you mind shoring your stats?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, PurpleHippo321 said:

Hi everyone! New to these forums!

I just got accepted to NYU this morning. I received 17k in scholarship and applied on January 11th. Does anyone know if this is the most they give?

I am leaning more towards Fordham where I got accepted last week, but problem is the cost will now be the basically the same for the two schools so I am not sure what to do because NYU is great too.

I have heard that sometimes schools are willing to bump up their offers if competing schools gave you the more or the same offer (which Fordham and NYU are!) if you appeal... has anyone heard of this before?

Congrats and best of luck to everyone!

17 I believe is the most. Says in a webinar I watched. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Ashley_msw_ny said:

congrats! do you mind shoring your stats?

Sure! I am in the honors program at my undergrad which is a top 20 public university and have a 3.85/4.00 GPA. A lot of extracurriculars relating to social work and leadership positions. I am thinking my aid may have something to do with applying to other NYC schools though, because I know NYU competes with them.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I got into NYU last week! So pleased because it is one of my top choices and their turnaround was pretty quick! (Though that wait was excruciating!) Just a quick question, in my acceptance letter it said I had 8 weeks to make a decision to attend or not, but then I got another email regarding resumes and field placement forms. In that one it says these must be submitted 4 weeks after the offer of acceptance, after the decision to attend or not. Has anyone run into this issue? 

I think of the schools I applied to only UW (another top choice) will give a decision after the 4 week mark. But just wondering if anyone is also in the same boat and had some further information? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, cymsw1163 said:

I got into NYU last week! So pleased because it is one of my top choices and their turnaround was pretty quick! (Though that wait was excruciating!) Just a quick question, in my acceptance letter it said I had 8 weeks to make a decision to attend or not, but then I got another email regarding resumes and field placement forms. In that one it says these must be submitted 4 weeks after the offer of acceptance, after the decision to attend or not. Has anyone run into this issue? 

I think of the schools I applied to only UW (another top choice) will give a decision after the 4 week mark. But just wondering if anyone is also in the same boat and had some further information? 

I called they said it is 8 weeks. According to admissions. The guy event counted it out with me to see what my 8 weeks would be. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.