Fall 2019 Applicants

Hello all, 

Have ppl received a generic email from U-Mich Anthropology department explaining the procedure to check the admissions status? There's any admission decision related info in the application status tab on my Friend Account so I'm wondering if this is a generic email sent as a heads up maybe?

Thanks alot for this info @manicape it helps to know this isn't an exceptional experience. Looks like the dept has sent out a mass mail as a heads up. Others have reported this too on the Results tab. I'm wondering how long did it take them to send the second email? Same day? Also, do they communicate all decisions like this or just rejections?

No problem @Umairrasheed!! I tried to search through old emails to see how long it took in between the heads up and the official notification, but it seems like I deleted all that old stuff ?

I can tell you that they notified me of my rejection on Feb 9 last year, so they will at least be making those decisions soon apparently. And it looks like some people were notified of acceptances around the same time the rejects went out but I can't say for sure how it'll go this year. Sorry I can't give more info! I wish you the best of luck!

Are we sure that if you haven't received an interview request from Harvard or Yale that you are out for this cycle? I ask because there was just one interview reported for each, while in past years there were several. Anyone?

1 hour ago, kandai said:

Are we sure that if you haven't received an interview request from Harvard or Yale that you are out for this cycle? I ask because there was just one interview reported for each, while in past years there were several. Anyone?

I don't know about Yale but the Harvard page says that while they "do not formally interview candidates as part of the admissions process, finalists may be invited for a Skype interview". Based on the results from the past two years there was only one interview post for 2017 but two acceptances (3 if you count one from the anthropology and middle eastern studies program but that might be a separate thing?). However, last year those who received interview requests were told in an email that they had made the "medium short list (less than 10% of applicants)". So basically, there's no way to know.

8 hours ago, Mofanthrooo said:

Similar question! Is interview part of the admission process for Stanford? Do you have to expect to get rejected if you don't get an interview request?

From my understanding of the program yes. I spoke with the department a couple days ago and they stated that interviews were typically a part of the program. That being said, I don't think interviews have been sent out yet.

Edited by HealthyAnthro
grammar

11 hours ago, KuroNeko said:

Well I received my official rejection from Michigan. I had allowed myself to get my hopes up after being asked to apply for a FLAS last month. Did they send that out to everyone? 

I was rejected from Michigan and they never asked me to fill out forms for FLAS.

8 hours ago, HealthyAnthro said:

From my understanding of the program yes. I spoke with the department a couple days ago and they stated that interviews were typically a part of the program. That being said, I don't think interviews have been sent out yet.

Thanks for your reply! I think interviews have been sent out. There were 2 results on the results page saying that they got their interview requests from Stanford in archaeology and sociocultural anthropology.

@ShadyG by any chance hay you received interview requests from CUNY GC and/or Harvard? I'm just asking because there's only been one post from each and you seem to be doing really well with your applications, so if anyone could have gotten any response it would be you ?

Edited by perpetualalligator

@perpetualalligator

I am sociocultural (CUNY) I was contacted directly by a member of the committee. He did mention that the first round of interviews are going on and they are making decisions about funding and fellowship recommendations. Based on if the students accept or decline offers they might make another round. They have mixed info as to what the timeline will be but estimate first round of offers will be sent out around late Feb/early march

Edited by adamanthro

Also, I saw someone asking about Purdue. I received an acceptance (cultural) earlier last week, I asked a friend if they heard anything back and they also got accepted (bio) around the same time. Not sure if they are still finalizing admission decisions but I got the impression the department has submitted their decisions to the grad school. Hope this helps

3 minutes ago, adamanthro said:

Also, I saw someone asking about Purdue. I received an acceptance (cultural) earlier last week, I asked a friend if they heard anything back and they also got accepted (bio) around the same time. Not sure if they are still finalizing admission decisions but I got the impression the department has submitted their decisions to the grad school. Hope this helps

Thanks! Not sure this bodes well for me, but congrats!

@AnthroChick21

thanks. I hope it works out for you. At this point I think it is okay to email any POI you may have contacted before. That way you can at least know a definite answer. Best of luck on your other apps too!

btw, if anyone has any news on yale ant/f&es Ph.D. I would really appreciate it. It seems only one person had an interview request so far? idk.

Hi everyone,

I'm dusting off this old account to join the conversation.

Long story short, my grad school experience has been a doozy. Fast forward to today, and I'm on a waitlist for the doctoral program at UNC Chapel Hill for anthropology (archaeology).

I saw the UNC acceptances go up a few weeks back and was immediately bummed because I didn't receive one. Then I saw the rejections go up a few days later, and again I got nothing. My suspicions were confirmed today when my POI notified me of my waitlist status.

Anyway, cheers to all those who've received acceptances! "Hang in there" to those of you who've heard otherwise or are still waiting to hear back.