Fall 2019 Applicants

On 2/4/2019 at 8:44 PM, Imalthica said:

Well, I was rejected to Tulane anthropology. I'm crushed, and confused, because it was an excellent fit, and my POI seemed very enthusiastic about everything. I've heard nothing from him this season since the application deadline though. I was accepted to Texas A&M anthropology w/ funding, but it's not a good fit for my partner (who is in linguistics). I am REALLY hoping for both of us to make Tulane EEB and linguistics/anthropology respectively, because I don't think I can take going to UT (family issues, parents live in Austin). I guess there's Hawaii too, but it's a stretch. I just don't know what to do :(

Soooo, I heard back from my anth. prof. He still wants me, and hopes I get into EEB. I've been waitlisted (technically "shortlisted") to EEB (no official acceptances yet for anyone, just news from my prof., but my EEB prof also wants me. Uuuuuhhhhhhggggg! Tulane, if you want me, take me! Just throw some money at me too!

Meanwhile, my partner has literally heard nothing, except an interview from UT anth., so I'm over here freaking out about everything I know, while he's freaking out about everything he doesn't know ?

14 hours ago, FrigidSky701 said:

I was rejected from Michigan and they never asked me to fill out forms for FLAS.

Interesting. Maybe I was on the long-list but not the shortlist? Either way, the end result was rejection. I just wish I could have saved those hours I rushed to put an application together at the last minute. 

2 hours ago, KuroNeko said:

Interesting. Maybe I was on the long-list but not the shortlist? Either way, the end result was rejection. I just wish I could have saved those hours I rushed to put an application together at the last minute. 

Maybe it is because my area of interest and the required language are both my native language, so there was no need for me to study any other foreign language through FLAS? Anyway, I am just crossing my fingers so I get to go somewhere. It would be interesting if I get rejected from all Anthro programs and get accepted to Religious Studies program, because I majored Religious Studies for both my undergrad and grad school.

What about Northwestern? It seems that some people  received interview invitations and invited to campus weekend. I did not heard anything from the department. Does it mean I am rejected but they are lazy to announce?

Edited by footprint

@Cyrus6 Thanks! That was me. Basically I got an email from the chair of the evolutionary wing, my prospective adviser, and the head of the department. It said that they had recommended me for admission, and I should receive the official letter soon. They didn't say if anyone else had been notified, or if the cultural wing had finished making their decisions.

Hope this helps!

1 hour ago, bonesandbakes said:

@Cyrus6 Thanks! That was me. Basically I got an email from the chair of the evolutionary wing, my prospective adviser, and the head of the department. It said that they had recommended me for admission, and I should receive the official letter soon. They didn't say if anyone else had been notified, or if the cultural wing had finished making their decisions.

Hope this helps!

I don't think UC Davis held admissions for the sociocultural wing this time. 

9 hours ago, bonesandbakes said:

Hope this helps!

@bonesandbakes Nice. Thanks for the memo. Also, would you mind sharing whether you were an in-state or out-of-state applicant?

Edited by Cyrus6

1 hour ago, synthema said:

Has anyone applied to Johns Hopkins, or have any idea when we might hear something from them

I have but haven't heard from them yet. Last year the emails calling for interviews came around mid-February, plus the deadline this time was Jan 15th. So I guess we should expect them in a few days (that is, if the universe does not hate me).

11 hours ago, AgnesNutterWitch said:

I have but haven't heard from them yet. Last year the emails calling for interviews came around mid-February, plus the deadline this time was Jan 15th. So I guess we should expect them in a few days (that is, if the universe does not hate me).

Emails for interviews have been sent out. Rejections have been sent out. If you haven't heard from them you may be on some unofficial wait list.

4 minutes ago, Jenny01 said:

Emails for interviews have been sent out. Rejections have been sent out. If you haven't heard from them you may be on some unofficial wait list.

Thanks for letting us know. I have not gotten anything, either, so maybe there's still some chance. Possibly. 

This has been one heck of an application season. 

8 minutes ago, synthema said:

Thanks for letting us know. I have not gotten anything, either, so maybe there's still some chance. Possibly. 

This has been one heck of an application season. 

Yes there's definitely still hope. Also, April 15th is 2 whole months away there's time.