Fall 2019 Applicants

I'm sick of this. I'm sick of checking Grad Cafe and scanning my email or missed calls. Even checking my spam folder daily. 

I only have two rejections (one implied) and one interview so far but, after a good chat with a POI today (at a program I withdrew my app from), I just sort of know my own worth. And know my own weaknesses. 

And I sort of give up, a bit, on caring too much one way or another about where I do or don't get in. I certainly hope I get in somewhere (!!!) with funding but at the same time, the point here is to figure out how to keep going on my own path and keep doing my research, developing my writing, etc. 

So, I give up on one thing and totally recommit to another. 

Here's to good luck and happiness for all of us!

@scarseed

That's such a good recommitment.

I'm sitting on one implied rejection and am not too optimistic about the other three programs either. I find it hard, it's really hard to accept for me. And on the other hand I have completely exhausted my nerves during this wait. It's just not worth it to spiral into anxiety and despair and I am done doing this to myself. I know I am capable, I know my work is relevant and eventually it will be mirrored in a material way ( getting in somewhere with funding) I know that too. But now I have to mourn that it won't be in the way I had hoped for and I need to let go of my anger too. I didn't feel supported in a meaningful way by family, friends and undergrad institution. It was a grind and I'm afraid I won't see any success yet.

So I'll join you into the good wishes!

1 hour ago, perpetualalligator said:

NYU is already sending out decisions?!?!?!

tumblr_n24k2jkez11rmzowno1_400.gif

Huh? Do you mean the waitlist on the results page? I hope it's  for the bio-track. Anyway what is up with NYU anyway? Do they really accept such few socio-cultural people? There are almost none reflected on tgc.

1 hour ago, scarseed said:

I'm sick of this. I'm sick of checking Grad Cafe and scanning my email or missed calls. Even checking my spam folder daily. 

I only have two rejections (one implied) and one interview so far but, after a good chat with a POI today (at a program I withdrew my app from), I just sort of know my own worth. And know my own weaknesses. 

And I sort of give up, a bit, on caring too much one way or another about where I do or don't get in. I certainly hope I get in somewhere (!!!) with funding but at the same time, the point here is to figure out how to keep going on my own path and keep doing my research, developing my writing, etc. 

So, I give up on one thing and totally recommit to another. 

Here's to good luck and happiness for all of us!

I'm feeling the same way. Just got my second official rejection, even after having good responses and interactions with the POI (again). I'm logging in every day and refreshing my email constantly... And no interviews, nothing. I think this round is a bust, and I have to just give up doing my PhD in the US. I just hope a PhD from a non - American /European university will be enough when it comes time to apply for postdocs. I can only work on the things within my control, and that is my research from here on out. 

Interesting. It has been a few days after I heard official rejections from two programs and now radio silence. I do hope NYU just sends out official decisions, because I just want them to tell me that I am rejected so I don't have to wait any longer. Maybe it is a good time to relinquish all the remaining hope and prepare for my second round next year

Also, does anyone know if interview is necessary for Ph.D in Boston University? I am extremely curious because I really cant find out about it on the result page. I assume it is the case according to the most recent results submission.

Does anyone know any more about Stanford? I've been following this thread and the results page, interviews were sent out last week, has anyone heard back?
I have an interview next week at GWU for sociocultural. I've been rejected from 2 other programs, and have 2 more remaining, one of which is Stanford. Since I didn't get an interview I'm pretty sure it's a rejection, but just checking to learn more. Thanks!

1 hour ago, chojo said:

Does anyone know any more about Stanford? I've been following this thread and the results page, interviews were sent out last week, has anyone heard back?
I have an interview next week at GWU for sociocultural. I've been rejected from 2 other programs, and have 2 more remaining, one of which is Stanford. Since I didn't get an interview I'm pretty sure it's a rejection, but just checking to learn more. Thanks!

Had my interview last week, heard informally from PI that it could be till the 20th before we hear anything.

1 hour ago, chojo said:

Arch interviews were on the 6th and, from what I understand, sociocultural was on the 11th.

8 hours ago, AgnesNutterWitch said:

This is true for all the streams? I applied for sociocultural.

I doubt it, there were no interview or rejection updates on the results page, and the app deadline was so late this year

16 minutes ago, Anzi said:

I think GW just released the interview invitations. I saw several people reported their interview schedule...

Yes that is correct. I was invited for a skype interview next week. 

It's hard to maintain perspective in the face of rejections, but just look on the bright side -- if we don't get in to our chosen programs we are probably on track to be ahead financially and practically in life over those who sacrifice six or seven years at poverty level fellowships and stipends. I applied to seven schools, interviewed at one and then rejected from that school plus two others. No word yet from the other four, but implied rejections from two of them are expected. I'm not hopeful at this stage and ready to move on with my life. Graduate school is not the only path to happiness and knowledge, just one of them.

Edited by kandai

5 hours ago, kandai said:

It's hard to maintain perspective in the face of rejections, but just look on the bright side -- if we don't get in to our chosen programs we are probably on track to be ahead financially and practically in life over those who sacrifice six or seven years at poverty level fellowships and stipends. I applied to seven schools, interviewed at one and then rejected from that school plus two others. No word yet from the other four, but implied rejections from two of them are expected. I'm not hopeful at this stage and ready to move on with my life. Graduate school is not the only path to happiness and knowledge, just one of them.

FWIW I had this identical mindset and got unexpected good news—folks on this forum helped me remain cautiously optimistic. Have a backup plan, yeah, but there is hope. I got rejected from (what I thought were) strong fits and got into my top choice (where I didn’t think they’d find me a fit). Despite having gone to campus and meeting with people post-acceptance, I’m still convinced it’s a mistake. I feel a bit odd and awkward offering “happy” advice like this, but I was there mere weeks ago.

Edited by pyramidstuds

It seems like UPenn also sent out the acceptance letters! It is my second time applying for phd programs but I will probably have to prepare for my third cycle in this situation.

Now I am really curious what would be the most important factor/aspect in the anthro Phd admissions - I just don't know what to do to make a big difference in the next cycle haha

I sent the grim news of getting rejected to three schools to my adviser at my alma mater, and she told me that she thinks because of how few jobs there are in academia these days, perhaps graduate programs are limiting, even more, the number of students they admit. Maybe this is the case, and so the competition is more fierce. I now to accept the fact that I may need to go through another cycle and that I need more preparation.

3 hours ago, Mofanthrooo said:

It seems like UPenn also sent out the acceptance letters! It is my second time applying for phd programs but I will probably have to prepare for my third cycle in this situation.

Now I am really curious what would be the most important factor/aspect in the anthro Phd admissions - I just don't know what to do to make a big difference in the next cycle haha

I am still curious specifically about sociocultural anthro in UPenn and about whether they have sent their emails.

I am so tired of my brain thinking so much about so many things.

Edited by AgnesNutterWitch
Realised my mistake after re-checking the UPenn website regarding Medical anthropology

10 hours ago, Mofanthrooo said:

I haven't heard anything from UPenn since my interview, does that mean bad news?

Hello all, 

Does anywhere know how the admission process proceeds in Chicago? I see a few acceptances in the Results section, but that's all, no word on rejections/wait-list. I haven't heard from the dept yet. I'm assuming its a rejection but then why won't they just let us know already, given they've sent out a few offers.