Fall 2019 Applicants

If the other U of Maine applicant sees this, would you mind telling me if you initially applied for the Ph.D. or M.A.? I applied for the Ph.D. and received an admission into the M.A. I am not sure if that means I was accepted as an M.A. working towards a Ph.D. (like Purdue's program) or if it is a rejection to the Ph.D. I guess once I hear about funding I will know? 

17 hours ago, Maric said:

I am on the waiting list for Sociocultural anthropology of UPENN. Do you think would anyone decline his/her admission offer? how is the chance of getting off the list? And I am neither rejected nor accepted by University of Texas Austin. Has anyone heard back from them? I applied for socicultural anthropology.  

As far as I know, Austin sent out both Acceptances and Rejects a little while back. Maybe the Waitlist isn't out yet? The PI I applied to said they considered lower admissions this year. 

Could you tell me if you had an interview with Penn and when you got to know about the waiting list? Would you know if they've reached out to everyone already? Still haven't received any kind of update from them. 

36 minutes ago, Andromeda3921 said:

Could you tell me if you had an interview with Penn and when you got to know about the waiting list? Would you know if they've reached out to everyone already? Still haven't received any kind of update from them.  

Just an update for any Archaeo track UPenn applicants: I had an informal Skype call with POI end of Jan, heard from them last week that I will be offered admission, and received a letter from Graduate Coordinator last night about Student Campus Visit in the middle of March. Waiting for funding details.

I am not sure if this helps, but perhaps the Archaeo and Sociocultural tracks are happening separately? Though I guess the letter from the coordinator might indicate things are underway for the department as a whole?

I hope you're all doing okay. This is such a stressful time, and I hope you're all taking care of your mental and physical health. I'm an international student in a different time zone, and my sleep cycle has been completely fucked the last month or so cause I wake up every hour to check my email or refresh portals. ?

Much love to everyone on this forum! I only discovered it a couple of weeks ago, but I am so grateful this community exists.

Edited by sawdust&diamonds
typos, heh

22 minutes ago, Andromeda3921 said:

As far as I know, Austin sent out both Acceptances and Rejects a little while back. Maybe the Waitlist isn't out yet? The PI I applied to said they considered lower admissions this year. 

I just noticed we're both from India! Hi! Which track have you applied for?

I had interview with UPENN end of January. The graduate coordinator sent me an email on Monday about the waiting list. 

I called UT Austin and they told me the process has not finished yet but the people that they posted their result are not from sociocultural anthropology I guess. I do not know maybe I am just looking for a hope. 

47 minutes ago, Andromeda3921 said:

Just now, Maric said:

I had interview with UPENN end of January. The graduate coordinator sent me an email on Monday about the waiting list. 

I called UT Austin and they told me the process has not finished yet but the people that they posted their result are not from sociocultural anthropology I guess. I do not know maybe I am just looking for a hope. 

@Maric  I think a couple of sociocultural anthropology rejections and one acceptance have shown up in the results page for UT Austin. Have you checked the web portal? It seems that people have been getting their decisions there, without an email notification. With that said, maybe they just haven't reached a decision on your application specifically and maybe that's why you haven't heard anything? Anyways, I hope you get good news!

Edited by perpetualalligator

51 minutes ago, Maric said:

@Maric Thanks, I am just going to go ahead and not hope about Penn anymore. 

All the best and hope you get an update from both places soon! 

12 minutes ago, perpetualalligator said:

@Maric  I think a couple of sociocultural anthropology rejections and one acceptance have shown up in the results page for UT Austin. Have you checked the web portal? It seems that people have been getting their decisions there, without an email notification. With that said, maybe they just haven't reached a decision on your application specifically and maybe that's why you haven't heard anything? Anyways, I hope you get good news!

@perpetualalligator Thanks!I checked the web portal and my status is still "review". There was no rejection notification. It is really annoying that basically they do not notify what is going on with applications. The deadline for UTA was 3 months ago. 

5 minutes ago, Maric said:

@perpetualalligator Thanks!I checked the web portal and my status is still "review". There was no rejection notification. It is really annoying that basically they do not notify what is going on with applications. The deadline for UTA was 3 months ago. 

I understand, the same thing is happening to be with CU Boulder. I have seen a couple of rejections and acceptances but I still haven't received any news. I also called yesterday and was told that decisions should be out "soon", so that's not a lot of information. As an international student I also had to submit my application on December 1st (the deadline for domestic students was like January 15th or something), so it has been extremely frustrating to see American students get decisions before me even though I submitted my application almost a month and a half before they had to. That's just the way admissions works, the waiting is the worst part.

2 hours ago, sawdust&diamonds said:

I just noticed we're both from India! Hi! Which track have you applied for?

Hey! I completely sympathize with you with the whole time-zone issues. Worldtimebuddy has been my best friend this whole time, honestly. I've applied to Socio-cultural track and it's been a long roller-coaster, with some places wanting to focus on S. Asia and others already having too many South-Asian-ists. 

Acceptance from Columbia. I have some questions for someone who might have the low down on housing and summer funding..just general logistics stuff

Unknnown: Harvard/ University of Toronto / WUSTL / Vanderbilt

Interview :Stanford

Accepted: Princeton // Columbia  // U of Illinois Champaign Urbana

Other: CUNY, 2nd round but turned them down

I'm out of here. For personal reasons, I'm not going to share exactly where but suffice it to say that I had a very mixed bag of results including one very very unexpected rejection, an unexpected interview, 1 waitlist, a few outright rejects mostly expected (like Duke with it's 4 accepts), some implied rejects and one clear best option when balancing all considerations. Thanks for the solidarity and support!

On 1/25/2019 at 1:39 PM, pyramidstuds said:

Virginia, as well.

Hey! I know this is technically an Interview Thread question, but I can't quote this in a different thread so I'll ask here- 

Do you happen to know if every admitted applicant is interviewed at UVA? I saw a couple informal interviews on the Results page. I haven't received an interview invite, but I haven't received a rejection either...

Thanks!

4 hours ago, SmauelJ said:

Has anyone else been interviewed by Yale except the one on result page? Losing hope now...

"The Yale University sociocultural/linguistic anthropology faculty have now identified a list of semi-finalists for our 2019 doctoral admissions, and we are pleased to inform you that you are on that list. We would now like to interview you by Skype or by telephone at your earliest convenience." - received this Jan 22 and interviewed that week with PIs. Sorry for not posting earlier, did not check this thread, only results page. According to past year trends Yale seems to post results Feb 22/23. 

5 hours ago, GenericResearcher said:

Hey! I know this is technically an Interview Thread question, but I can't quote this in a different thread so I'll ask here- 

Do you happen to know if every admitted applicant is interviewed at UVA? I saw a couple informal interviews on the Results page. I haven't received an interview invite, but I haven't received a rejection either...

Thanks!

Our recruitment/interview weekend for prospective students will take place next weekend.  I don't have any concrete info on who has been invited but usually 8-10 people come for the visit, with invites going out ~2 weeks prior to the visit date.  With that said, most but not all people who end up getting admitted get invited to the visiting weekend, and I even know at least one person who was admitted late in a cycle without any prior contact from the department after submitting their application.

5 hours ago, GenericResearcher said:

Thanks!

I see someone just recently answered this, but just adding that an informal phone call with a POI and the dept. website both advised Virginia required interviews.

I also have received nothing!

Edited by pyramidstuds

If I didn't hear back from UC Irvine or UChicago by now, does that mean I got rejected? For UCI it has been like 3 months... So frustrating!!

Also, I did not do any inverview for these institutions.

Edited by Marui

Hi @ShadyG, congrats on the acceptance from Columbia :) I am on the waitlist. I know this might be too much to ask, but hoping that people accepted to the program make a decision soon. 

Rejected: Brown, Chicago, UCLA

Accepted: Michigan

Waitlist: Columbia

Unknown: Toronto, JHU,  Cornell

14 hours ago, ShadyG said:

Acceptance from Columbia. I have some questions for someone who might have the low down on housing and summer funding..just general logistics stuff

Unknnown: Harvard/ University of Toronto / WUSTL / Vanderbilt

Interview :Stanford

Accepted: Princeton // Columbia  // U of Illinois Champaign Urbana

Other: CUNY, 2nd round but turned them down