Fall 2019 Applicants

2 hours ago, wellwellwell said:

Hi @ShadyG, congrats on the acceptance from Columbia :) I am on the waitlist. I know this might be too much to ask, but hoping that people accepted to the program make a decision soon. 

Rejected: Brown, Chicago, UCLA

Accepted: Michigan

Waitlist: Columbia

Unknown: Toronto, JHU,  Cornell

Congrats on your amazing acceptance! Michigan is awesome. FWIW, Ann Arbor is one of the best cities you could be in for school (but I’m biased, it’s my alma mater). It has so many great restaurants, lots of events going on at any given time, and just a great energy from students that’s inspiring. If you have any questions about Ann Arbor, or the university itself, feel free to pm me :) 

@wellwellwell  Congratulations on your Michigan acceptance. I've  heard its one of the best schools for anthro. I'm wondering if you could share some info about the Chicago rejection? There is only one post in the Results section where an applicant was interviewed and rejected afterwards. Was that yours? I haven't yet heard anything from them so I'm quite curious about their process.

Edited by Umairrasheed

NYU, anyone?

I've been accepted to UCLA, which is amazing! Radio silence from NYU, CUNY and Columbia. I am assuming rejections from CUNY and Columbia based on the Results page, but things still seem a bit unclear for NYU? I currently live in NYC and need to start wrapping my head around a possible cross-country move! 

@Loop  No word from NYU, but I met someone who is interviewing at CUNY soon, like within a couple weeks? So unfortunately your suspicion might be correct. Never know for sure until that letter comes though... Just waiting on it from NYU myself at this point. Congrats about UCLA!! That's awesome!!!

Hi to all,

Is anyone heard back from Indiana, Bloomington? Their application deadline was relatively earlier 1 December. Also, it is surprising not to see any discussion for Northwestern. Dİd anyone apply and receive results? I wish all my best for the ones who wait for their application results. Waiting is killing. 

* I am a socio-cultural applicant. 

Edited by footprint

Hi Anthropology folks! I've been lurking here for a bit and have been most active in the Classics thread, as I'm applying mostly to classical archaeology programs. Are there many other archaeologists here? Thought I'd share my results so far if anyone is interested:

Accepted: Oxford (DPhil Classical Archaeology; School of Archaeology)

Interviews: Brown--invited to their visit weekend (PhD Archaeology and the Ancient World; Joukowsky Institute)

Rejected: Cornell--informal rejection from POI (PhD Classics with concentration in Classical Archaeology)

Unknown: Penn (PhD Art and Archaeology of the Ancient World), St. Andrews (PhD Classics)

6 hours ago, footprint said:

Hi to all,

Is anyone heard back from Indiana, Bloomington? Their application deadline was relatively earlier 1 December. Also, it is surprising not to see any discussion for Northwestern. Dİd anyone apply and receive results? I wish all my best for the ones who wait for their application results. Waiting is killing. 

Yeah. It's been radio silence from Northwestern. I felt I was a decent match for them, too. BU has been my only offer so far. 

Would be very curious to hear if the Harvard admit had an interview. 

I got a message from them awhile back asking to submit further information about my language competencies, but was never invited to interview, so I'm not really sure how much hope to have at the moment...

6 minutes ago, kandai said:

@G_speed Ditto. I'd imagine they do interview people based on past results tho. Sadly not good news for us. Such is life.

There were also at least 5 interview result postings last year vs. 1 this year. Maybe it's due to decreased site traffic, but perhaps they did less interviews this time around.

/optimistic justification

1 hour ago, G_speed said:

There were also at least 5 interview result postings last year vs. 1 this year. Maybe it's due to decreased site traffic, but perhaps they did less interviews this time around.

/optimistic justification

Hi all, I haven't posted here yet but I've been following along! Just wanted to say that I was the one that posted both the interview and the admit. I think it's very strange that no one else posted an interview (less strange, given that info, that no one else posted an admit). Almost positive that all admits would have been interviewed. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I wish you all luck with this journey! Acceptances don't define anyone's self-worth, as we all know, it's just a total crapshoot...

On 2/22/2019 at 6:39 PM, footprint said:

Hi to all,

I received an email from the graduate secretary from Indiana Bloomington, attached with a rejection letter three days ago. Last week I emailed the department asking about when the result would come out, and it seemed that they made decisions already. Perhaps you will hear from them soon, good luck!

22 hours ago, ALieNNatioN said:

I received an email from the graduate secretary from Indiana Bloomington, attached with a rejection letter three days ago. Last week I emailed the department asking about when the result would come out, and it seemed that they made decisions already. Perhaps you will hear from them soon, good luck!

Thank you for informing me. I'll contact with the department. 

People who have been shortlisted by CUNY, have you also been contacted by faculty, apart from adcomm? Any idea when we'll hear back? 

Also, have any socio-cultural applicants been contacted by NYU? Seems to be radio silence from the department according to the results page as well. 

@Andromeda3921 for CUNY I've only been contacted by adcomm and students who are also part of the adcomm. I think that they said that decisions would come out early March? I don't really remember but that also seems to be the case in past years.

For NYU there's only the one mystery person in sociocultural who was interviewed and informally accepted (see results page).  I called a couple of days ago and they said that results would come out mid to late March. Seems like it's an off year in terms of timing for NYU.

15 minutes ago, Nathanael said:

Got rejs from UBC and Stanford this afternoon... Seems all Canada programs have rejected me. Still waiting for NYU and JHU, but not confident at all.

Still waiting for JHU as well. Has anyone here heard anything from them?

11 hours ago, Andromeda3921 said:

People who have been shortlisted by CUNY, have you also been contacted by faculty, apart from adcomm? Any idea when we'll hear back? 

Also, have any socio-cultural applicants been contacted by NYU? Seems to be radio silence from the department according to the results page as well. 

Hi. I was contacted by a faculty member, apart from adcomm, for an interview. However, I have recently been accepted into my top choice university and while I love CUNY's dept I knew I would not let my top choice go. So I politely told them about it since it could open up a spot for another applicant for an interview.

12 hours ago, AgnesNutterWitch said:

Hi. I was contacted by a faculty member, apart from adcomm, for an interview. However, I have recently been accepted into my top choice university and while I love CUNY's dept I knew I would not let my top choice go. So I politely told them about it since it could open up a spot for another applicant for an interview.

23 hours ago, perpetualalligator said:

@Andromeda3921 for CUNY I've only been contacted by adcomm and students who are also part of the adcomm. I think that they said that decisions would come out early March? I don't really remember but that also seems to be the case in past years.

For NYU there's only the one mystery person in sociocultural who was interviewed and informally accepted (see results page).  I called a couple of days ago and they said that results would come out mid to late March. Seems like it's an off year in terms of timing for NYU.

Thanks for your responses! 

I have not been contacted by any faculty at CUNY, though I already spoke to them before applications and hence wasn't sure how to read the situation.