Fall 2019 Applicants

2 hours ago, pyramidstuds said:

To @KuroNeko, @RepatMan, and others who completed a master's before PhD--any insight as to how beneficial (based on your respective cohorts) this is to acceptance and (optimistically) performance in a PhD program?

I'm graduating with an MS (not MA) this May. I keep seeing MA and not MS, which has me worried. I have a BA and soon an MS. The MS is very related to anthropology and the work I have done within fortified my interest in pursuing a PhD. I'm being sketchy about revealing the specific subject of my MS because it's a very niche subset of study and would make my identity easy to find. Not a huge deal but I'm embarrassed by this process, and being rejected, so I'd planned not to reveal too much personal stuff lest someone I know browse these forums and recognize me, and my failures. Also, the specificity of my field of study is why I'm applying for PhDs in anthropology and not my subject, because there are basically no PhD options for it.

If my being cagey is annoying and unhelpful, let me know...

Basically, I'm concerned about MS vs MA...what does that mean for anthropology PhD programs, in your opinion/experience?

Hey pyramidstuds, I have a MA from a North American school, but in a different discipline. From my experience, and my cohort, MA's do help as they provide further credence of your capability to conduct independent research, which helps an admissions committee assess your fit in their department. Now, having said that, I am in my second cycle having received an MA when I first applied. MA's may provide you with a more rounded application, but that doesn't mean there aren't other indicators they measure when they're making a decision to admit.

I do not think having an MS degree should worry you, as I do not think an MS degree is weaker against an MA. I think here, it's likely more MA graduates are applying for anthropology programs rather than MS graduates not being favoured amongst an admissions committee. You know what is best for your research, and that should be displayed in your SOP (why you and your future work fits with their department). 

Also, don't be embarrassed by rejection. It's going to happen a lot as you move forward, it should be the least of your worries. Being rejected doesn't make you a less than capable candidate, as these cycles can sometimes be luck of the draw. In my own cohort, it strikes me as fascinating that weaker colleagues can find themselves in top programs while you wait for your straw to be drawn. Sometimes a research topic someone chooses really connects with a potential advisor and an admissions committee. Don't beat yourself up about it, but do be cordial and diligent with yourself (no need to reveal who you are).

Edited by pmcol

Thank you, @pmcol for the response!

Unfortunately, my final hope for this round was shattered by the most recent anth post on the results page. UTSA was my last hope. It was the one place I felt confident about based on POI conversations and had two that would “love to advise me,” but they admitted someone last week and I’ve got nothing. Their deadline is 2/1 and talking with them, they said they wouldn’t review apps until after that (I submitted back in December anyway with everything else). But it looks they already sent acceptances. Man, what a disappointment seeing that. I feel stupid for wasting time and money. I’m sorry to be such a downer in this forum, but I need the catharsis, I guess. For everyone here, who has been so welcoming, I truly am excited to follow and see how things go for you :) I don’t think I’ll try this again—but maybe!

26 minutes ago, pyramidstuds said:

Unfortunately, my final hope for this round was shattered by the most recent anth post on the results page. UTSA was my last hope. It was the one place I felt confident about based on POI conversations and had two that would “love to advise me,” but they admitted someone last week and I’ve got nothing. Their deadline is 2/1 and talking with them, they said they wouldn’t review apps until after that (I submitted back in December anyway with everything else). But it looks they already sent acceptances. Man, what a disappointment seeing that. I feel stupid for wasting time and money. I’m sorry to be such a downer in this forum, but I need the catharsis, I guess. For everyone here, who has been so welcoming, I truly am excited to follow and see how things go for you :) I don’t think I’ll try this again—but maybe!

I understand. I can't say I know exactly how you feel, but I experienced a mixture of sadness, anxiety, and despair during my first application round - so maybe I can try to relate to your predicament. Having spent the last few years building a world in academia to have it shattered by powers beyond control is difficult to grasp. I don't think there's a clear way to explain what us graduates go through before, during, and after we've sent in our applications. This isn't just our profession, it encompasses every aspect of how we live our lives.

By the sounds of it, you already have a leg up on the competition next year. Having a POI excited about your work is a great thing! It gives you more credence as you move forward on why you are deserving of a spot in 2020. Please, don't feel stupid for wasting money, you're investing in yourself. Sure you haven't seen the benefits yet, but conducting graduate work encompasses many years beyond this or next application cycle. You've just grasped a deeper understanding of how this process works and what you can do to improve.

I know you are disappointed, and I feel for you. I hope you do try again, much like the rest of us, follow your passion and don't give in to failure. I know it's cliche, but failure is just an opportunity to learn and grow.

Do take care of yourself, it's important to practice self-love before and after applying. You have a lot of worth, and these things are very much random and beyond our control. 

Edited by pmcol

9 hours ago, pyramidstuds said:

To @KuroNeko, @RepatMan, and others who completed a master's before PhD--any insight as to how beneficial (based on your respective cohorts) this is to acceptance and (optimistically) performance in a PhD program?

I'm graduating with an MS (not MA) this May. I keep seeing MA and not MS, which has me worried. I have a BA and soon an MS. The MS is very related to anthropology and the work I have done within fortified my interest in pursuing a PhD. I'm being sketchy about revealing the specific subject of my MS because it's a very niche subset of study and would make my identity easy to find. Not a huge deal but I'm embarrassed by this process, and being rejected, so I'd planned not to reveal too much personal stuff lest someone I know browse these forums and recognize me, and my failures. Also, the specificity of my field of study is why I'm applying for PhDs in anthropology and not my subject, because there are basically no PhD options for it.

If my being cagey is annoying and unhelpful, let me know...

Basically, I'm concerned about MS vs MA...what does that mean for anthropology PhD programs, in your opinion/experience?

I think @pmcol already gave you a great response, but I'll add my two cents just in case it's helpful.

I would agree that having an MA helps, but only so far as what you've done with your experiences there. If you did original research/fieldwork, and can show that in a publication or writing sample, then that is certainly a plus. If your coursework and/or research helped you narrow down your focus and inspire you to a research question/area, then that is great! Or maybe you impressed the pants off of a professor or advisor and they write you an awesome LOR. Or any number of things that might make a better PhD application for you. 

For some programs, like those in Canada or outside of the US actually require a master's of some variety before you can apply for a PhD at all. But it looks like you're not applying internationally, so that's less relevant for you I'm guessing. I've also heard, but can't confirm, that some departments like to see a master's because of bad experiences with students finishing with an MA, then dropping out of the program as a way to get a funded MA. 

As for MS versus MA, that depends on your research interests. If you think your MS is relevant and can demonstrate that in writing samples and/or SOP, then great! There are plenty of people doing research in STS where having a background in science is essential for the kind of research they want to do (or at least extremely recommended). Also, it's not unheard of for applicants to apply for an anthropology PhD program with backgrounds outside of anthropology. It's often the case that having experiences outside are very beneficial. 

It's too early to tell for my North American applications since I haven't even received an interview request yet, but I'd say my MA has been very helpful to getting to where I am now. It was crucial for my acceptance and fellowship outside of the US, both for requiring it and for the research proposal I was able to write and the paper I'm editing for publication. Compared to where I was coming directly out of undergrad (when I applied the first time and was soundly rejected everywhere), I am in such a better position research-wise, and even better after doing additional research in country. 

So what I'm taking a lot of words to say here is that having an MS will not hurt you, only help you. That being said, there are always ways to strengthen your application for next year if you have to do this again like I did, and it doesn't say anything about you for being rejected anywhere. The best of us receive way more rejections than acceptances. The important thing is that you keep pushing onward and adopt the position of being unreasonably persistent. And it's still early! Don't give up hope! 

1 hour ago, Anzi said:

Quick question, will UC Berkeley still send interview notification tomorrow or Friday via email ? ....I don't want to be devastated but I am actually.

Hi Anzi,

Honestly there’s no way to know. There seems to be a rolling process with them, as they sent out some invites last Friday and were conducting interviews even as new notifications for new interviews were going our. This is one case in which I’d say not to take no news as bad news. 

On 1/23/2019 at 1:45 PM, AnNervous said:

I really wish that I had been stalking this site during/before applications! I'm so nervous, this is my first year applying. I'm applying to cultural anthropology programs at UC Santa Cruz, UCLA (where I'm currently an MA student in Latin American Studies), UC berkeley,  UT Austin, Chicago, UPenn, NYU, and Johns Hopkins.

Just got an email today from berkeley wanting to do a 15 minute Skype interview tomorrow (gah!! no time at all to prepare!!) 

Anyone know what it might mean to be asked to do such a short interview?? I'm not seeing a lot of those around these forums although I haven't looked very hard. I'm not sure if this is a POI interview or if it means I might be on a shortlist for admission? That seems too good to be true, I have no confidence in myself but that's a story for another day DX

Just gotta suck it up and pretend I believe in myself, right? Haha...

Edit: Reason I'm not sure if it's a POI interview is because the email wasn't from a person I stated on my SOP, although someone from my SOP was cc'ed on the email, along with another professor who just seems to be a big deal in the field in general. Oh man I'm psyching myself out a little already.

Hey Nervous,

Just revisit your statement of purpose and make sure you can talk about what’s in it verbally. It seems the adcomm is composed of people that are independent of the PoI you wrote to work with, and so the email likely came from DGS. Additionally, it’s only a 15 minute interview, and they’re requesting it because they already like what they read, so if you give them a little more of that I’m sure it will be fine. 

Ive heard they like to poke holes in people’s work, and can be intimidating, but that wasn’t my experience with them. 

They even smiled at some point.

Good luck! 

Edited by LetsGetThisBread

10 hours ago, pmcol said:

I know you are disappointed, and I feel for you. I hope you do try again, much like the rest of us, follow your passion and don't give in to failure. I know it's cliche, but failure is just an opportunity to learn and grow.

Do take care of yourself, it's important to practice self-love before and after applying. You have a lot of worth, and these things are very much random and beyond our control. 

Thanks for this--a cliche is one for a reason, it's true, relatable, and deserves repeating, especially at a time where I'm trying to force myself to be positive and not feel defeated by the process. I think I feel foolish because I was so optimistic, I felt I was a competitive candidate, I did everything right--but you summed it up, that things are random and beyond our control! I need to keep that easily accessible in my mind when I get sad. I can't lament what I can't control!

Honestly? I am most sad because I really wanted to continue doing research that I profoundly enjoy. A PhD would allow me to do it full-time (whereas right now I work full-time in a stressful, demanding position while I complete my MS full time). I wanted the chance to fully commit my brain and my life and my stress to academia. I was excited by the chance to see what I can do when not encumbered by a job that zaps my energy. The thought of waiting another 1.5 years (at the earliest) on that is discouraging, but I'll wait for official rejections and go from there, I guess!

7 hours ago, KuroNeko said:

I've also heard, but can't confirm, that some departments like to see a master's because of bad experiences with students finishing with an MA, then dropping out of the program as a way to get a funded MA. 

Thanks for the reply! Both perspectives on this were really helpful, thanks. I don't regret my MS even if I don't continue in academia because I absolutely loved the field of study--I just want to keep going, if someone will have me (and fund me)!

What I quoted above, whoa! I didn't even think of that but I can totally see it happening. How disappointing. I wonder how many begin with that intent from the beginning, and how many evolve in those couple years to decide they don't want to continue.

15 hours ago, pyramidstuds said:

Not to get your hopes up, but I don’t see why this means you’re officially out. Was this your specific PI that admitted someone? You had more than one, did they both personally choose someone? If their applications don’t close until the 1st, then they are likely still reviewing. Some departments at my current school open in November and begin reviewing then and continue until the deadline in February. Students are admitted throughout that time and after. Some strong candidates may get in early, but others still get in later. Personally, from what I’ve seen here and in the results section, it’s not over until you get a formal rejection. I don’t want to add to your emotional roller coaster, but I’m just saying it doesn’t seem like you have no chance to me, especially if they’re still taking apps.

3 hours ago, Psyhopeful said:

Not to get your hopes up, but I don’t see why this means you’re officially out. Was this your specific PI that admitted someone? You had more than one, did they both personally choose someone? If their applications don’t close until the 1st, then they are likely still reviewing. Some departments at my current school open in November and begin reviewing then and continue until the deadline in February. Students are admitted throughout that time and after. Some strong candidates may get in early, but others still get in later. Personally, from what I’ve seen here and in the results section, it’s not over until you get a formal rejection. I don’t want to add to your emotional roller coaster, but I’m just saying it doesn’t seem like you have no chance to me, especially if they’re still taking apps.

I guess you are right, it's not official yet (especially with the late deadline) but since learning about "implied rejections" via this forum, I guess I've reserved myself to believing the worst and hoping for the best, in these situations. I guess every school is different, some admit in waves...and the data about UTSA, specifically, on this site is only 2 people. So I can't look back historically on what this all means.

Also, maybe this is the more simple answer, I'm gonna expect the worst and hope for the best. It helps me cope and helps me keep a realistic outlook (although this probably isn't the healthiest method). If I don't get into the school I feel, by far, best about--I don't feel I have a chance at any other school where I applied. So I've kind of resigned myself to not getting in anywhere this cycle (although, yes, it's not official yet).

But thanks for checking me back in--I'll retain some hope, I guess :) 

Hi everyone! I just discovered this site and am so grateful there's a thread of people stressing out just like me. :) 

I've applied for BioAnth at UC Davis, UC Santa Cruz, ASU, McMaster, UCF, UPenn, and finishing up my app for Oklahoma soon.

I saw some people said they've gotten interviews at University of Pennsylvania, can anyone tell me if those are formal interviews or more chats with potential supervisors? I've skyped with the professor I'm hoping to be my supervisor, but haven't gotten any word about a rejection or an interview.

Thanks!

@bonesandbakesWelcome to hell! I did not apply to Penn or know any Penn people but I looked at the Penn results for past years and I don't really have a concrete answer for you. I did notice that the person who did specify what area they were interested in said they were BioAnth and others have mentioned  being on a (long?) shortlist. Based on previous years it doesn't seem like they're formal interviews but maybe potential supervisors reaching out to applicants that really stood out? Also the Penn Anthro Website doesn't say anything about interviews as part of the process, so I wouldn't think that not getting an interview request implies a rejection. I think that very few schools do formal interviews as part of the application process. Off the top of my head I can only think of CUNY, Berkeley, Duke, Notre Dame, and maybe Harvard (the website does say that you don't necessarily need to be interviewed to be accepted but previous years' results kind of say otherwise)?

Also when did you Skype with your potential supervisor? Did you reach out to them? If they reached out to you that could count as an interview.

I think it would be useful to have a thread where we make a list of schools that formally interview and like what it means to get an interview for schools that do not usually interview? What do you all think? Is there already a thread like that? Idk.

Hey all, 

This seems like a great place to stay updated on grad application and admission affairs. I'm wondering if someone here knows when UMich, UChicago, NYU and UoToronto generally send out early admission decisions? These are the four anthro progs I have applied to for the Fall 2019.

Best, 

Umair

29 minutes ago, Umairrasheed said:

Hey all, 

This seems like a great place to stay updated on grad application and admission affairs. I'm wondering if someone here knows when UMich, UChicago, NYU and UoToronto generally send out early admission decisions? These are the four anthro progs I have applied to for the Fall 2019.

Best, 

Umair

Hello Umairrasheed, going by last years decision, you can expect UMich, UChicacgo, and UofT to send out their decisions around early February (possibly the first week). From experience, I know Canadian applicants at UofT usually hear back earlier than international applicants - I'm not sure if this affects you. While for NYU, I am not sure, though it seems some interviews for the bioanth track have been sent out (but, I know this varies).

Good luck on your applications, fingers crossed!

Edited by pmcol

3 hours ago, perpetualalligator said:

@bonesandbakesWelcome to hell! I did not apply to Penn or know any Penn people but I looked at the Penn results for past years and I don't really have a concrete answer for you. I did notice that the person who did specify what area they were interested in said they were BioAnth and others have mentioned  being on a (long?) shortlist. Based on previous years it doesn't seem like they're formal interviews but maybe potential supervisors reaching out to applicants that really stood out? Also the Penn Anthro Website doesn't say anything about interviews as part of the process, so I wouldn't think that not getting an interview request implies a rejection. I think that very few schools do formal interviews as part of the application process. Off the top of my head I can only think of CUNY, Berkeley, Duke, Notre Dame, and maybe Harvard (the website does say that you don't necessarily need to be interviewed to be accepted but previous years' results kind of say otherwise)?

Also when did you Skype with your potential supervisor? Did you reach out to them? If they reached out to you that could count as an interview.

I think it would be useful to have a thread where we make a list of schools that formally interview and like what it means to get an interview for schools that do not usually interview? What do you all think? Is there already a thread like that? Idk.

I think having a formal interview thread for schools that we believe are likely to interview is a great idea. Maybe, we can even attract those who have interviewed to share some of the questions they've been asked. I know interview threads exist, but I don't believe there is one specifically for anthropology. 

Schools so far: CUNY, Berkeley, Duke, Notre Dame, Harvard (possibly)  ... Schools I can add: Johns Hopkins, NYU (intermittently), UPenn, Yale (possibly) 

Edited by pmcol

26 minutes ago, pmcol said:

I think having a formal interview thread for schools that we believe are likely to interview is a great idea. Maybe, we can even attract those who have interviewed to share some of the questions they've been asked. I know interview threads exist, but I don't believe there is one specifically for anthropology. 

Schools so far: CUNY, Berkeley, Duke, Notre Dame, Harvard (possibly)  ... Schools I can add: Johns Hopkins, NYU (intermittently), UPenn, Yale (possibly) 

Virginia, as well.

15 hours ago, bonesandbakes said:

Hi everyone! I just discovered this site and am so grateful there's a thread of people stressing out just like me. :) 

I've applied for BioAnth at UC Davis, UC Santa Cruz, ASU, McMaster, UCF, UPenn, and finishing up my app for Oklahoma soon.

I saw some people said they've gotten interviews at University of Pennsylvania, can anyone tell me if those are formal interviews or more chats with potential supervisors? I've skyped with the professor I'm hoping to be my supervisor, but haven't gotten any word about a rejection or an interview.

Thanks!

When I applied last year at Penn, I had an informal skype session in December and then a formal interview in January for Bioanth.

17 minutes ago, Bschaefer said:

When I applied last year at Penn, I had an informal skype session in December and then a formal interview in January for Bioanth.

Thanks! A bit disappointing but I'd rather know now I'm not getting accepted rather than wonder through mid-March.

16 minutes ago, perpetualalligator said:

@LetsGetThisBread YES! It's been so slow and last year this week was so busy. It's so weird. I am starting to think that maybe the people getting offers are those who are not on thegradcafe 24/7 ?

I’m glad someone mentioned it, thought it was just me...