Fall 2019 Applicants

@HealthyAnthro Well there was a recent study in which the majority of anthropology jobs go to graduates from Chicago, Berkelely, Michigan or Harvard. But, it also depends on your specific topic and which programs would provide you with the most enriching resources. I also had an interview with Chicago that seemed rather tame in comparison to a previous interview I had. How did yours go? Did they mention when the final decisions would be sent out? 

On 1/31/2019 at 1:06 PM, chojo said:

Anyone applying to PhD in sociocultural anthro at Princeton?? Based on previous years it seems we should hear back tomorrow or early next week. Good luck to all!

I got an acceptance email from Grad director. I still have yet to receive an email about the nuts and bolts of the whole thing, or the official acceptance letter. Also received POI emails over the weekend. I assume this coming week we will see formal emails for acceptance etc.

Applied : 9 |  Accepted: 2 | Interview: 1 | Rejected: 0 |

University of Toronto, Princeton University, Stanford University, CUNY GC, U. Illinois Champaign-Urbana, Vanderbilt, Washington University in St. Louis, Harvard University, Columbia University

21 minutes ago, ShadyG said:

I got an acceptance email from Grad director. I still have yet to receive an email about the nuts and bolts of the whole thing, or the official acceptance letter. Also received POI emails over the weekend. I assume this coming week we will see formal emails for acceptance etc.

Applied : 9 |  Accepted: 2 | Interview: 1 | Rejected: 0 |

University of Toronto, Princeton University, Stanford University, CUNY GC, U. Illinois Champaign-Urbana, Vanderbilt, Washington University St. Louis, Harvard University, Columbia University

Thank you so much for the update! Congratulations!!! I have yet to hear back from Princeton, hoping for some good news next though although not so sure anymore. Best of luck for your remaining apps!

4 hours ago, chojo said:

Thank you so much for the update! Congratulations!!! I have yet to hear back from Princeton, hoping for some good news next though although not so sure anymore. Best of luck for your remaining apps!

I’m in the same boat! 

Rejected: Duke (Officially), Harvard, Columbia, Princeton, Chicago, MIT (Presumably)

Interview: Berkeley (No word in over a week so should just add that to the top)

Waiting: Stanford, NYU 

Was nice to dream! 

3 hours ago, LetsGetThisBread said:

I’m in the same boat! 

Rejected: Duke (Officially), Harvard, Columbia, Princeton, Chicago, MIT (Presumably)

Interview: Berkeley (No word in over a week so should just add that to the top)

Waiting: Stanford, NYU 

Was nice to dream! 

Ahh good luck for the remaining!! I got rejected from UNC Chapel Hill, most likely UPenn since I havent heard back while others have. Still waiting for Stanford and GWU. Pretty bummed about Princeton but c'est la vie. Hoping next week brings some good news for us both.

3 hours ago, chojo said:

Ahh good luck for the remaining!! I got rejected from UNC Chapel Hill, most likely UPenn since I havent heard back while others have. Still waiting for Stanford and GWU. Pretty bummed about Princeton but c'est la vie. Hoping next week brings some good news for us both.

Have folks applying to Penn for sociocultural heard back? as far as I know only bioanth folks heard

5 hours ago, puffy said:

Have folks applying to Penn for sociocultural heard back? as far as I know only bioanth folks heard

I saw that one person got an interview for bioanth and one person for medical. Not sure what to make of that but I took it as interviews emails have been sent. Maybe this is me starting to lose hope.

On 2/1/2019 at 9:27 AM, RepatMan said:

Just so folks know, Penn anthro is making their decision as we speak. They'll be finalized and sent to the Dean today. The Dean is expected to approve those decisions by mid-week next week.

I have really no info about how the wait-list is generated or whether they let wait-listed people know at the same time, but if you haven't heard from your primary contact at Penn by the end of next week, touch base with them. They'll likely have some insight for you one way or the other.

@chojo @puffy Someone posted this on Friday and also posted a while back that not everyone who gets into Penn gets interviewed. Apparently they only interview people if they need another professor to come on as a secondary adviser or if they are bringing that candidate off their unofficial waitlist. Either way, judging from this post on Friday, hopefully the wait will be over soon (though I don't know if this post applies to all subfields at Penn).

27 minutes ago, bonesandbakes said:

@chojo @puffy Someone posted this on Friday and also posted a while back that not everyone who gets into Penn gets interviewed. Apparently they only interview people if they need another professor to come on as a secondary adviser or if they are bringing that candidate off their unofficial waitlist. Either way, judging from this post on Friday, hopefully the wait will be over soon (though I don't know if this post applies to all subfields at Penn).

Thanks @bonesandbakes!!

23 hours ago, Nisaba said:

@HealthyAnthro Well there was a recent study in which the majority of anthropology jobs go to graduates from Chicago, Berkelely, Michigan or Harvard. But, it also depends on your specific topic and which programs would provide you with the most enriching resources. I also had an interview with Chicago that seemed rather tame in comparison to a previous interview I had. How did yours go? Did they mention when the final decisions would be sent out? 

Hey Nisaba,

Mine seemed very tame. It lasted for quite a while ~50 mins, and they seemed to do most of talking.

They did mention the results. They should be announced in the next 7 to 10 days.

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum. The wait got so difficult I needed more places to distract myself. You are pretty amazing and I am glad this forum exists.

I didn't get an invitation to Chicago and am very heartbroken. I still have some hope that maybe I could get admitted without an interview. @HealthyAnthro@Nisaba do you know if UofC admits students without interviews? I've read contradicting things across the board...

@Anama The interviewer mentioned that they only recently began conducting interviews (2 years ago). I suppose if they decided not to admit a student whom they interviewed then they would pull out other students of interests that they had not initially interviewed. I saw that last year they were conducting interviews from late Jan to early Feb - So I'd say you're not 100 percent out unless you receive the official rejection letter. These processes are a shit show. I wish you lots of luck with UofC and other prospects you're waiting on! 

49 minutes ago, Anama said:

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum. The wait got so difficult I needed more places to distract myself. You are pretty amazing and I am glad this forum exists.

I didn't get an invitation to Chicago and am very heartbroken. I still have some hope that maybe I could get admitted without an interview. @HealthyAnthro@Nisaba do you know if UofC admits students without interviews? I've read contradicting things across the board...

Hi Anama,

I can neither confirm nor deny that uChicago admits students without interview. It may be the case, but it seems unlikely. They told me in the interview that ~280 people applied this year to the program. I am unsure of how many interviews were sent out. Currently there are about ~168 graduate students in the department. My guess is that they enroll about 15-20 graduate applicants each year.

My interview at Berkeley was short and intense -> (Exactly 15 minutes), and was a panel interview with four interviewers.

My interview at uChicago was relaxed, gradual. In general it felt like they we're trying convince me to attend Chicago rather than see if I was qualified. 

So I have no idea.

But be strong.

Sending you good vibes.

3 hours ago, Anama said:

Hello all,

Welcome, @Anama, I was new here just weeks ago and have found so much support on this forum. Best of luck to you!

Thank you everybody! You're so kind. I hope everybody gets into the program of their choice. 

I am an international applicant and therefore might have underestimated some requirements for a successful application. I still have some hope for my other applications but have already decided that I will not go through another cycle. So - without wanting to be dramatic, for me getting rejected would mean such a big change of direction. I had just gotten used to the idea of moving to the US and found some joy in it and now it might already be time to let it go...

It's quite interesting, I feel I stayed in this very secure place of what is expected in my culture rather than adhering to US Gradschool madness. Now I see how that might have come across as arrogant and yet I acted from my own values and did what I could without putting my mental and physical health at risk with the little time I had for this process due to personal reasons. There is a part of me that would be very ok with a European, bit more laid back doctorate study. It is all so exiting either way :)

Well, I was rejected to Tulane anthropology. I'm crushed, and confused, because it was an excellent fit, and my POI seemed very enthusiastic about everything. I've heard nothing from him this season since the application deadline though. I was accepted to Texas A&M anthropology w/ funding, but it's not a good fit for my partner (who is in linguistics). I am REALLY hoping for both of us to make Tulane EEB and linguistics/anthropology respectively, because I don't think I can take going to UT (family issues, parents live in Austin). I guess there's Hawaii too, but it's a stretch. I just don't know what to do :(

3 hours ago, Anama said:

Thank you everybody! You're so kind. I hope everybody gets into the program of their choice. 

I am an international applicant and therefore might have underestimated some requirements for a successful application. I still have some hope for my other applications but have already decided that I will not go through another cycle. So - without wanting to be dramatic, for me getting rejected would mean such a big change of direction. I had just gotten used to the idea of moving to the US and found some joy in it and now it might already be time to let it go...

It's quite interesting, I feel I stayed in this very secure place of what is expected in my culture rather than adhering to US Gradschool madness. Now I see how that might have come across as arrogant and yet I acted from my own values and did what I could without putting my mental and physical health at risk with the little time I had for this process due to personal reasons. There is a part of me that would be very ok with a European, bit more laid back doctorate study. It is all so exiting either way :)

I was a mess on this forum just a couple weeks ago feeling defeated and hopeless, but people here reminded me to have hope, within reason—I counted myself out thinking there was no chance, I guess preparing for the worst. I got a rejection and implied rejection same day (and the implied rejection was, I thought, one of my strongest fits). It was an awful day. It is a huge stress and I cannot imagine also moving continents (I was barely prepared to move within the US).

I am sure you don’t seem arrogant. Good job sticking to your values and not sacrificing health! That counts for a lot...

On 2/3/2019 at 9:34 PM, chojo said:

I also applied GWU...I am currently in GWU btw, and  took 2 ANTH courses, though it's not my major.  

AND GOOD LUCK TO BOTH OF US!

Edited by Anzi

55 minutes ago, Anzi said:

I also applied GWU...I am currently in GWU btw, and  took 2 ANTH courses, thought it's not my major.  

AND GOOD LUCK TO BOTH OF US!

Good luck to you too @Anzi!! My background is not in anthropology either. Hoping for good news soon!

1 minute ago, mickjagger666 said:

Has anyone heard from University of Tennessee (Knoxville)? Do they do interviews? I'm not confident of my chances regardless but the wait is killing me.

Hey @mickjagger666 I would send an e-mail to the department asking for an update (kindly of-course). This may ease your anxiety and provide some answers toward your application for their department.

@FrigidSky701 yes, continue to be optimistic!! The wait between application and acceptance is a long one fraught with anxiety, uncertainty, and many unanswered questions. You can't control elements out of your hands, once you submit your application it really becomes up to the department when and at what date to notify you. Keep your chin up, I'm sure there is good news around the corner.

1 hour ago, FrigidSky701 said:

Seeing all the acceptance posts make me feel miserable, even though I am happy for those who got accepted. Maybe I just need to wait a little longer and be optimistic. Hoping for good news for all of you!

I am waiting for response from UC Santa Cruz, which is my favorite program among all my applications. Hoping for good result for you too!

24 minutes ago, mickjagger666 said:

Has anyone heard from University of Tennessee (Knoxville)? Do they do interviews? I'm not confident of my chances regardless but the wait is killing me.

Hi! They don't do interviews, but they do invites for a campus tour. Also, they take longer than some of the other schools. So I wouldn't stress too much right now :) You'll probably hear in the next week or so