Fall 2019 Applicants

Hi everyone! Is anyone else sitting on an interview (sc) from Berkeley, but yet to hear back?? How is this to be interpreted...? My interview went over time and was very intense and challenging , but in a good way. I wasn't sure what to make of it but was hopeful and feel it went well and they liked me (and they asked me to send some follow up materials). Are we (if there's anybody else out there!) assuming that it's over for us, since we didn't hear with that first batch of acceptances last week? 

2 hours ago, FrigidSky701 said:

Okay, apparently some rejection letters were sent to applicants for UC San Diego. I have not received anything from them even though I applied a month ahead of their deadline. Maybe this is a good sign, hmm?

I got an acceptance email yesterday, which was probably automated but in the portal I found a letter of acceptance including funding and I also received an email from the department inviting me to the admitted students day so I think that not getting anything yet might mean you are on the waitlist? I hope this information is useful and that you get good news soon :) 

1 hour ago, perpetualalligator said:

I got an acceptance email yesterday, which was probably automated but in the portal I found a letter of acceptance including funding and I also received an email from the department inviting me to the admitted students day so I think that not getting anything yet might mean you are on the waitlist? I hope this information is useful and that you get good news soon :) 

That makes me feel better. Thank you for the information. I will just wait patiently again before I get any news.

@FrigidSky701 I don't think it would hurt to email the department to see what's up, just be like "I was wondering when decisions would be released" or something like that. I also just looked at all the UCSD results from past years and there doesn't seem to be a waitlist so yeah email them.

16 minutes ago, perpetualalligator said:

@FrigidSky701 I don't think it would hurt to email the department to see what's up, just be like "I was wondering when decisions would be released" or something like that. I also just looked at all the UCSD results from past years and there doesn't seem to be a waitlist so yeah email them.

Yep. I just did that because I am now really anxious and I have to sleep soon, as I live abroad and I must go to work tomorrow. Hopefully there is some good news when I wake up. Thanks for all the help. I really appreciate it and I feel more hopeful.

1 hour ago, Lool said:

Anyone listened from Nyu or cuny and what shortlisted in Toronto means since they don't conduct interviews ? 

Also what do you think of Irvine ?.

Thanks 

If you received a shortlist from Toronto (asking for transcripts) it's likely an admit. I'm not 100% certain of this, just going by their application instruction page.

Edited by pmcol

@LoolAn interview request from CUNY just showed up in the results page. Based on previous years it seems that they come out in two batches one around this time and another one like a week after? I´m not 100% sure. Regarding NYU it has been said that the department usually interviews/brings into NYC the top 3 bioanth applicants or something like that and any other interview is informal. Results for these two schools usually come out in March.

17 minutes ago, perpetualalligator said:

@LoolAn interview request from CUNY just showed up in the results page. Based on previous years it seems that they come out in two batches one around this time and another one like a week after? I´m not 100% sure. Regarding NYU it has been said that the department usually interviews/brings into NYC the top 3 bioanth applicants or something like that and any other interview is informal. Results for these two schools usually come out in March.

Thank you 

17 minutes ago, perpetualalligator said:

Thank you :))

Just wanted to share this thread with y'all. I think we could all benefit from it. I am not a huge fan of the "look at all the things you have that other people don't and you should be thankful for that" shit because it personally makes me feel worse when I am already feeling down but either way it made me smile. Hope this helps: you are all truly great and I am rooting for all of us! :)

10 hours ago, perpetualalligator said:

Just wondering, but for UC San Diego, did your application page say 'Under Review' until you received your decision? Also, when you did get to see your results, what did your Application Status say?

@FrigidSky701 Yes, my application said "Under Review" until I received the official decision. When I got the acceptance email it said that that I could see my decision letter on the portal including the funding letter and my application said and still says "Provisionally Admitted" which according to the site: "As a Provisional Admit you are an officially admitted student and may register for classes in the quarter to which you were admitted. However, failure to submit all missing documents by the fourth week of your first quarter will result in a hold on future registration."  Did they respond your email? The department usually responds to emails relatively quickly.

11 minutes ago, perpetualalligator said:

@FrigidSky701 Yes, my application said "Under Review" until I received the official decision. When I got the acceptance email it said that that I could see my decision letter on the portal including the funding letter and my application said and still says "Provisionally Admitted" which according to the site: "As a Provisional Admit you are an officially admitted student and may register for classes in the quarter to which you were admitted. However, failure to submit all missing documents by the fourth week of your first quarter will result in a hold on future registration."  Did they respond your email? The department usually responds to emails relatively quickly.

Thank you very much. And no they have not responded to my email yet. This is especially disheartening, as I sense that something might have gone wrong. Oh well, I guess I gotta let it go.

To my utter shock, I have been admitted to the biomedical anthropology master’s program at SUNY Binghamton! Was not expecting that, and especially not so early in the month! No word on funding, if any, but this is my first acceptance, so yay!

My Berkeley interview for med anth went badly (my gut feeling). I was just way too nervous and word vomited. Sigh. I'd just like to have a definitive answer. My interview was on Jan 29th and it's been longer than the week they said it would take for an answer, which I am taking to mean bad news, along with the added interview two days after mine (I'm taking to mean they didn't like me, so they went on to another promising candidate). Mentally moving on, but would like that closure.

Also what the heck are they looking for in a candidate when they stick to a 15 minute interview slot? Ok... mine was 17 minutes, but that was because they allowed me to ask one question.

Edited by kandai

21 minutes ago, kandai said:

My Berkeley interview for med anth went badly (my gut feeling). I was just way too nervous and word vomited. Sigh. I'd just like to have a definitive answer. My interview was on Jan 29th and it's been longer than the week they said it would take for an answer, which I am taking to mean bad news, along with the added interview two days after mine (I'm taking to mean they didn't like me, so they went on to another promising candidate). Mentally moving on, but would like that closure.

Also what the heck are they looking for in a candidate when they stick to a 15 minute interview slot? Ok... mine was 17 minutes, but that was because they allowed me to ask one question.

It's all good. They said between one and two weeks for me, most likely two-ish. So I think there's still time.