How are the 2019 applications coming

help_needed

20 hours ago, chasebf said:

WHOI has finished their work.  You might get a waitlist, but more than likely if you haven't heard you'll likely get a rejection here soon.

Stanford decided a while ago.  They move QUICK

figured WHOI was done - there was that batch of admits last week that seems to be par for the course for them, but Stanford surprises me... there's been no peep about Geological Sciences. They seem like a weird dept though (heavy oil focus, big on the geophysics and ESS) so who am I to know. How are you so up to speed with these programs?

17 hours ago, geononymous said:

Any hope remaining for Penn State Geosciences and Rice EEPS PhD programs? Is it already too late for their first round of selection?

Rice usually goes after top people mid January, but not sure how long they roll the admits out. Still, I'd say less and less likely with each passing week

14 hours ago, rockcycleralph said:

Anyone know if Oregon State, University of Oregon, or UNC Chapel Hill have sent out anything? I know UTK sent their first round out last week. 

Oregon usually admits first 2 weeks of Feb, rejects in first week or two of March.

One other PSA: I've said this in the past, but a resource I've found helpful is www.phdstipends.com - I'm in no way affiliated, but my partner and I used this to help estimate how far my stipend would go. It can really help you figure out whether financial stress will weigh on you over the course of grad studies, which I definitely have found to be bad enough without having to pinch pennies. Also consider adding your own data to it, like I do, so it remains up to date. There's also cost of living estimators, such as that provided by NerdWallet that can help.

Lastly, I know this is shouting into the ether, but whoever made PhDstipends.com, thank you!

15 hours ago, rockcycleralph said:

Anyone know if Oregon State, University of Oregon, or UNC Chapel Hill have sent out anything? I know UTK sent their first round out last week. 

Can I ask what POI at OSU? I was thinking of applying there and am just curious.

Also, (to the general forum) any updates on when Harvard EPS decisions go out? I see some people posting on the results page but haven't heard anything yet. 

Edited by rockwizard

26 minutes ago, rockwizard said:

Can I ask what POI at OSU? I was thinking of applying there and am just curious.

Also, (to the general forum) any updates on when Harvard EPS decisions go out? I see some people posting on the results page but haven't heard anything yet. 

Harvard decisions came out last week if I remember, visit days are in three weeks (3/7-8) and I don't think we usually see a second round, sorry :(

2 minutes ago, jimmay said:

Harvard decisions came out last week if I remember, visit days are in three weeks (3/7-8) and I don't think we usually see a second round, sorry :(

I wonder why they haven't sent out my rejection yet haha. Nice of them to leave my life on hold longer than necessary! 

Question: is it better to wait patiently for a decision or to check in with POI/department on status of admissions decisions?

So far I've been waiting patiently and haven't bugged my POI or departments since around the time I submitted applications. Could checking in with them show extra interest?

4 hours ago, jimmay said:

figured WHOI was done - there was that batch of admits last week that seems to be par for the course for them, but Stanford surprises me... there's been no peep about Geological Sciences. They seem like a weird dept though (heavy oil focus, big on the geophysics and ESS) so who am I to know. How are you so up to speed with these programs?

@jimmay hi there! I'm a bit confused, so did @chasebf mean Stanford geological sciences by "deciding a while ago"? Cuz I haven't heard anything either nor anyone posted result. Also I noticed you've been accepted by Cornell, congratulations! I applied to EAS and I'm waiting to hear back. Would you mind sharing with me some details of their admission progress? Like visiting dates, how many rounds of acceptances... Thanks in advance!

2 hours ago, Coffee Hound said:

Question: is it better to wait patiently for a decision or to check in with POI/department on status of admissions decisions?

So far I've been waiting patiently and haven't bugged my POI or departments since around the time I submitted applications. Could checking in with them show extra interest?

I've done both, it usually seems to have no impact on the decision so sadly I'd say to just (Netflix and) chill. Like my Stanford app still says incomplete lol, I asked and they copy pasted the FAQ at me even though it only says they take all of January to sort out documents (I emailed second week of February). Never saw such snark before.

1 hour ago, Camillalxy said:

@jimmay hi there! I'm a bit confused, so did @chasebf mean Stanford geological sciences by "deciding a while ago"? Cuz I haven't heard anything either nor anyone posted result. Also I noticed you've been accepted by Cornell, congratulations! I applied to EAS and I'm waiting to hear back. Would you mind sharing with me some details of their admission progress? Like visiting dates, how many rounds of acceptances... Thanks in advance!

No idea what they meant regarding Stanford, that's what I was commenting on too (hadn't seen anything about geological sciences). I don't know much but i'll message you later today about Cornell. Thanks for the congrats :)

Edited by jimmay

What's up yall.

I got an email last night from NCSU saying "Congratulations! The graduate program to which you have applied has recommended your admission. The decision is not final until the Graduate School performs a review of your application materials." (they only had unofficial transcripts so far)  I reached out to my PI yesterday asking for an update. I haven't heard from him in over a week. We were in the middle of talks about a visit and he ghosted, and now this.  

I'm interpreting this as: the PI that I applied to recommended me for admission even though we haven't interviewed or met... I should assume that the graduate school will find my application materials acceptable if the department did.

Does this interpretation sound reasonable?  Even good news makes me nervous.

19 minutes ago, Unconsolidated_Regolith said:

What's up yall.

I got an email last night from NCSU saying "Congratulations! The graduate program to which you have applied has recommended your admission. The decision is not final until the Graduate School performs a review of your application materials." (they only had unofficial transcripts so far)  I reached out to my PI yesterday asking for an update. I haven't heard from him in over a week. We were in the middle of talks about a visit and he ghosted, and now this.  

I'm interpreting this as: the PI that I applied to recommended me for admission even though we haven't interviewed or met... I should assume that the graduate school will find my application materials acceptable if the department did.

Does this interpretation sound reasonable?  Even good news makes me nervous.

Yeah I think you are likely in. Most places the dept selects you but then the official bureaucratic graduate school has to approve that you meet their minimum standards. Only a couple times have I heard of people not passing that stage, or the opposite: the graduate school tells you you meet their minimum standards but it isn't meant to be interpreted as an actual admission to the program. 

18 hours ago, Camillalxy said:

Update on this: I'm messaging you now, but decided it might actually be useful for other people to know re Cornell. My visit was suggested a couple weeks ago by my POI, but I was given a choice of dates so it seems very individualized. (A bit upsetting too: I like to meet my future cohort.) I know next to nothing about how many rounds of admits they do, etc. Identifying details like POI name I'll keep for the PM.

Oh god one of my application statuses went from *under review* to *being processed*  sometime in the last few days I am not emotionally ready for this I have things to do please.

Also, thanks to everyone who had a kind reply about my.....unfortunate POI situation.  After our first call I was pretty certain I didnt want to work with him after all those red flags, but it still was pretty crappy to hear.  Also, after that call he made me promise to visit? Then a few days later changed his mind? So strange haha. Im glad I didnt get in.

On 2/7/2019 at 7:38 AM, Unconsolidated_Regolith said:

Hey @OcelotTracks Have you heard anything back from Central Washington?  Their deadline was only a week ago, but i'm super anxious to hear back!

Did you get the email from Central Washington today? Saying they'll send acceptances once they know how many TA spots they have. I'm getting super anxious! Should be the next few weeks.

@OcelotTracks I did! I reached out to Lisa Ely yesterday actually and she gave me the info.  She also mentioned in her response that the department was going to meet next week, but that they couldn't make definite decisions until the administration granted them an official number of TA positions. She's hoping to hear about the positions this week but it may take longer. 

I'm really excited to hear from them.  Not sure how many spots the department is going to have, but I'm excited about the geomorph work they're doing :) here's hoping we hear good news and soon!!

On 2/19/2019 at 1:42 PM, jimmay said:

Stanford is doing interviews (potential grad visit) right now. I was there last Friday. I think there are still more people coming in for interviews so they won't make decisions until after the interviewing process is over.

7 hours ago, jimmay said:

Update on this: I'm messaging you now, but decided it might actually be useful for other people to know re Cornell. My visit was suggested a couple weeks ago by my POI, but I was given a choice of dates so it seems very individualized. (A bit upsetting too: I like to meet my future cohort.) I know next to nothing about how many rounds of admits they do, etc. Identifying details like POI name I'll keep for the PM.

It is individualized, which I hear is a new thing they're doing this year. I recommend you come anyway and see what the department is like.

36 minutes ago, BrockHarrison said:

Stanford is doing interviews (potential grad visit) right now. I was there last Friday. I think there are still more people coming in for interviews so they won't make decisions until after the interviewing process is over.

Hello! So does that mean people who werent invited for interviews were already rejected...I had informal interview with POI last year does that count?

Just now, Camillalxy said:

Hello! So does that mean people who werent invited for interviews were already rejected...I had informal interview with POI last year does that count?

Well, I'm not so sure. I know of some grad students at my undergrad department (comparative to Stanford) who were accepted without visits, but I don't know about Stanford specifically. 

On 2/19/2019 at 4:02 PM, deciduous said:

Anybody heard from UT-Austin for Geological Sciences? Seems late for their to be no activity on the Results page!

UT Austin is doing grad visits early March. I haven't heard from Rice yet!

On 2/18/2019 at 8:08 PM, geononymous said:

Any hope remaining for Penn State Geosciences and Rice EEPS PhD programs? Is it already too late for their first round of selection?

Edited by BrockHarrison