How are the 2019 applications coming

help_needed

1 hour ago, BrockHarrison said:

Stanford is doing interviews (potential grad visit) right now. I was there last Friday. I think there are still more people coming in for interviews so they won't make decisions until after the interviewing process is over.

Thats very disappointing.  I really thought I had a shot there. 

5 hours ago, BrockHarrison said:

Stanford is doing interviews (potential grad visit) right now. I was there last Friday. I think there are still more people coming in for interviews so they won't make decisions until after the interviewing process is over.

4 hours ago, BrockHarrison said:

5 hours ago, BrockHarrison said:

It is individualized, which I hear is a new thing they're doing this year. I recommend you come anyway and see what the department is like.

For which Stanford department? And are you at Cornell? Interesting setup, I'll be curious to see if they stick with the individual visit thing.

6 hours ago, jimmay said:

For which Stanford department? And are you at Cornell? Interesting setup, I'll be curious to see if they stick with the individual visit thing.

The geological sciences department. 

I'm not at Cornell, but a friend/classmate is applying there this year and had the same situation as you. Apologies if my English made it seem like I am there.

Edited by BrockHarrison

Hopefully I get these tags correct... Here is an update from what I know!

I am sorry to tell you @5beats3summers but I received an official letter of acceptance for Stony Brook in late January with funding details and their visit day is March 7-10. The deadline to respond yes or no to the visit day was March 11th. :( Acceptance came from Geoscience Dept and I expressed interest in working with Dr. Hurowitz / planetary science / Mars stuff. If you want more details feel free to direct message me.

@Kamen @cratergator @Camillalxy @jimmay @BrockHarrison I still think there is a little hope for Stanford. On Jan 22nd, a PI sent me an unofficial acceptance email and scheduled a visit for next week (Feb 27 - March 1), but he said in the email "Because of the way our admissions work in our department, it is too early to give you an official definitive answer, but given the strength of your application and my latest interactions with the admission committee, I am confident in what the admission outcome will be." Since scheduling the visit, I have not received any official offer. This is for the geological sciences program with a new assistant professor who studies geomorphology/planetary science/Mars.

@geononymous @jimmay @BrockHarrison I received a phone call acceptance from a PI at Rice on January 15th and an official letter in the mail a few days later. I visited the department Feb 5th. I live down the street from Rice currently and I think I was one of the first visitors, but they seemed to have most of the visitors scheduled already for early/mid Feb. During the visit I met for breakfast with the PI, then had 30 min meetings with 8ish professors, lunch with grad students, attended seminar in the afternoon, and went to dinner with PI. Again this was the Earth Science department. PI is Dr. Siebach, subject is planetary science / Mars geochemistry /surface processes.

If anyone happens to be applying to Brown's planetary science group, I received an unofficial acceptance from PI well before their actual deadline (Jan 5th). He told me that letters come late relative to other schools (late Feb) and offered a visit. I visited in October for a few days so we decided another visit wasn't necessary. I have not received any official acceptance from Brown yet. However I did see they sent rejections this week, so I am guessing that I will get a letter quite soon.

Aaand lastly, I still have not heard a single peep from Caltech lol. Probably not getting in. The PIs I wanted to work did not seem to be taking a whole lot of students, if any.

Edited by rocksandstuff

43 minutes ago, rocksandstuff said:

@geononymous @jimmay @BrockHarrison I received a phone call acceptance from a PI at Rice on January 15th and an official letter in the mail a few days later. I visited the department Feb 5th. I live down the street from Rice currently and I think I was one of the first visitors, but they seemed to have most of the visitors scheduled already for early/mid Feb. During the visit I met for breakfast with the PI, then had 30 min meetings with 8ish professors, lunch with grad students, attended seminar in the afternoon, and went to dinner with PI. Again this was the Earth Science department. PI is Dr. Siebach, subject is planetary science / Mars geochemistry /surface processes.

Thanks for the update! Actually, my case is very unusual. I have very focused research interests and am already pursuing them in another institution. I am not expecting an interview. It should be a yes or no. Also, I think which research group you're applying to does play a role in the decision-making process. Some professors may want to get it over with pretty quickly, while others may prioritize things differently. All professors are usually busy as hell.

Edited by geononymous

23 hours ago, jimmay said:

Yeah I think you are likely in. Most places the dept selects you but then the official bureaucratic graduate school has to approve that you meet their minimum standards. Only a couple times have I heard of people not passing that stage

Thanks @jimmay you were right.  I got the official acceptance letter today!

On 2/19/2019 at 12:42 PM, jimmay said:

figured WHOI was done - there was that batch of admits last week that seems to be par for the course for them, but Stanford surprises me... there's been no peep about Geological Sciences. They seem like a weird dept though (heavy oil focus, big on the geophysics and ESS) so who am I to know. How are you so up to speed with these programs?

Stanford is Geophysical for my reference.  I forget they have like 3 or 4 earth science departments 

As for my 'up to speed'

Boulder - former school

MIT-WHOI - former adviser is one of the department heads

Arizona - past experience

Stanford - past experience 

20 hours ago, BrockHarrison said:

UT Austin is doing grad visits early March. I haven't heard from Rice yet!

Wait, really? Was there a formal email that was sent out for this?

I had an interview a while ago and was told there wouldn't be a visit weekend this year.... 

Edited by goosejuice

Does anyone have any updates on Umich EES recently?  

The PI contacted me like a month ago saying he is waiting for the committee's decision and I never heard back since then, and he didn't reply to my follow-up email either. Does it mean I'm turned down by the committee :( ...... 

I also haven't heard from Caltech at all, nor have I heard of anyone who has. Same with Columbia EESC.

I just spoke with a professor from MIT EAPS who says that the department is pretty far behind its typical admissions schedule. He sounded positive about my application status (I couldn't quite make out what he said when he talked about that part lol), and said that he/the department would likely get back to me next week. This was an Atmos/Oceans/Climate person; not sure if he was referring to that or all of EAPS.

Edited by kronotsky

8 hours ago, rocksandstuff said:

I am sorry to tell you @5beats3summers but I received an official letter of acceptance for Stony Brook in late January with funding details and their visit day is March 7-10. The deadline to respond yes or no to the visit day was March 11th. :( Acceptance came from Geoscience Dept and I expressed interest in working with Dr. Hurowitz / planetary science / Mars stuff. If you want more details feel free to direct message me.

I appreciate the status update, but I'm not sure we'd be in the same department. I applied to the School of Marine and Atmospheric Sciences, and was told acceptances would start to trickle out around mid February. I still have hope. 

As for anyone who applied to UNC-Charlotte Earth Sciences program, I had an informal interview with a POI who told me one of the graduate school administrators is on family leave, which is delaying the process a bit. 

Edited by 5beats3summers

1 hour ago, goosejuice said:

Wait, really? Was there a formal email that was sent out for this?

I had an interview a while ago and was told there wouldn't be a visit weekend this year.... 

Edit: well, I am a little confused, but I think my visit might be personal because I never received any formal emails. So I may just be going alone.

Edited by BrockHarrison

9 hours ago, rocksandstuff said:

@Kamen @cratergator @Camillalxy @jimmay @BrockHarrison I still think there is a little hope for Stanford. On Jan 22nd, a PI sent me an unofficial acceptance email and scheduled a visit for next week (Feb 27 - March 1), but he said in the email "Because of the way our admissions work in our department, it is too early to give you an official definitive answer, but given the strength of your application and my latest interactions with the admission committee, I am confident in what the admission outcome will be." Since scheduling the visit, I have not received any official offer. This is for the geological sciences program with a new assistant professor who studies geomorphology/planetary science/Mars.

If anyone happens to be applying to Brown's planetary science group, I received an unofficial acceptance from PI well before their actual deadline (Jan 5th). He told me that letters come late relative to other schools (late Feb) and offered a visit. I visited in October for a few days so we decided another visit wasn't necessary. I have not received any official acceptance from Brown yet. However I did see they sent rejections this week, so I am guessing that I will get a letter quite soon.

Aaand lastly, I still have not heard a single peep from Caltech lol. Probably not getting in. The PIs I wanted to work did not seem to be taking a whole lot of students, if any.

Thanks! I guess I'll take that as a likely rejection from Rice then. 

9 minutes ago, BrockHarrison said:

Edit: well, I am a little confused, but I think my visit might be personal because I never received any formal emails. So I may just be going alone.

Ah, I see. I'm not sure how it works. It's not unlikely to have been offered a personal visit by your PI, if that is what happened in your case. I was just under the impression that a "formal" visit organized by the department wasn't happening, based on what I was told. 

3 hours ago, Impastpatientlywaiting said:

Does anyone have any updates on Umich EES recently?  

The PI contacted me like a month ago saying he is waiting for the committee's decision and I never heard back since then, and he didn't reply to my follow-up email either. Does it mean I'm turned down by the committee :( ...... 

I believe the committee has already “cleared” a group of prospective students for admission, and it has been up to individual PIs as to whether students are admitted right away or after a campus visit. The official visit weekend seems to be mid-March. 

Which PI were you interested in working with? Feel free to PM me; one of my close friends applied to UMich, was accepted, and recently declined the offer of admission. From talking to her, it sounds like the process is still rolling. Best of luck to you!

Edited by Pangolin

1 hour ago, Pangolin said:

I believe the committee has already “cleared” a group of prospective students for admission, and it has been up to individual PIs as to whether students are admitted right away or after a campus visit. The “official” visit weekend seems to be mid-March. 

Which PI were you interested in working with? Feel free to PM me; one of my close friends applied to UMich, was accepted, and recently declined the offer of admission. From talking to her, it sounds like the process is still rolling. Best of luck to you!

Thank you for the info!!! Seems like I have to keep my hope and keep waiting...

16 hours ago, 5beats3summers said:

As for anyone who applied to UNC-Charlotte Earth Sciences program, I had an informal interview with a POI who told me one of the graduate school administrators is on family leave, which is delaying the process a bit. 

I spoke with their stand in administrator (Dr. Sandra Clinton), and she told me that funding decisions won't be made until April 1 in any case.  Who are you applying to work with?

Also I'm curious if you've had many interactions with Dr. Bill showers at NC-State.  I'm applying to work with him, and would love to hear your opinions if you know him.  

I applied geophysics and geological science program of stanford and UT austin. I've been to prospective student visit at stanford last week. For Austin, I asked about visiting interview but they said they won't give any official visiting interview this year. They also told me the admission process will be conducted until the end of March. Cheers! 

4 minutes ago, mjmr said:

I applied geophysics and geological science program of stanford and UT austin. I've been to prospective student visit at stanford last week. For Austin, I asked about visiting interview but they said they won't give any official visiting interview this year. They also told me the admission process will be conducted until the end of March. Cheers! 

Thank you for this information! End of March is a while away, but I guess not out of the ordinary.