How are the 2019 applications coming

help_needed

48 minutes ago, geononymous said:

The last bit concerning "[paraphrasing] a poorly timed conference can set things back" might actually explain a lot of the delays from the coastal schools.  We recently concluded the annual GeoPRISMS meeting in San Antonio last week and a lot of people from Columbia, Penn State, UT Austin, Oregon, Oregon State, Michigan State, and Columbia were there.  Willing to bet at least a few were on the admissions committee, and might have had to delay things as a result.  That article makes it sound like even if 1 person on the admissions committee is missing the whole committee is sort of grounded for the time. 

Adding onto my last post (I don't think I can edit it directly for some reason).  

I did speak with some of the Columbia people there, they said in the past years they've seen higher offer acceptances rates than they usually see.  Typically they expect ~50% to take offers they give out, usually because half of applications will go to other Columbia-tier schools instead.  However, recently they've had more than 50% take offers (exact percent unclear).  This means that they have larger grad classes than they're usually expecting.  This may (may) mean that admissions will be artificially tougher as they might be looking to make less offers to ensure they don't end up with more graduates than they'd like in an incoming class, or they might be making less offers to get the number of grads back to their baseline amount (since past classes have been larger).  

On 3/5/2019 at 1:29 PM, chasebf said:

Adding onto my last post (I don't think I can edit it directly for some reason).  

I did speak with some of the Columbia people there, they said in the past years they've seen higher offer acceptances rates than they usually see.  Typically they expect ~50% to take offers they give out, usually because half of applications will go to other Columbia-tier schools instead.  However, recently they've had more than 50% take offers (exact percent unclear).  This means that they have larger grad classes than they're usually expecting.  This may (may) mean that admissions will be artificially tougher as they might be looking to make less offers to ensure they don't end up with more graduates than they'd like in an incoming class, or they might be making less offers to get the number of grads back to their baseline amount (since past classes have been larger).  

Not directly related to this, but wanted to mention it anyway. A huge problem with especially, internationally renowned, big-name professors is that there are people (applicants with great connections) already in line to work with them. I think it could be an issue if one applies to top-tier programs, where the density of such advisors is higher. If an influential professor wants to accept a student, they could break all tangible rules set forth by the admissions committee. However, an ordinary applicant with otherwise stellar credentials has no chance. When a potential advisor receives 60 to 80 applications from potential candidates that are specifically interested in working with them primarily, you can imagine how wild the decision-making process can get. 

Hey y'all, just found this thread, looks like I'm not the only one wondering about Oregon State

Undergrad Institution: State school in the PNW, not a super well-known department but a solid curriculum.

Major(s): Geology

Minor(s): None

GPA in Major: 3.75

Overall GPA: 3.8

Position in Class: N/A

Type of Student: Domestic, non-traditional white male

GRE Scores:

Q: 161

V: 167

W: 4.5

Research Experience: Undergraduate honors thesis focused on structural geology.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Space Grant Scholarship, handful of departmental awards.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Wildland firefighter for the past ~10 years (this seems to be a plus for a lot of my POIs.

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: Had an incomplete that was unresolved during applications, now resolved. I think I had some solid letters of rec from my research advisor, department chair, and another department professor with a background in my field of interest.

Applying to Where:

UCSC (PhD) - Earth and Planetary Sciences (Visited in Feb, Accepted 03/13)

Pitt (PhD) - Geology (Visited in Feb, expecting an offer letter any day now...)

OSU (PhD) - CEOAS

UNLV (Ms) - Geology

Notre Dame (Ms) - Earth Science

I'm looking to get into geochemistry and paleoclimate/paleooceanography. Did not start contacting any of my POIs until mid-November, so I've been surprised at how many got back to me. Don't know where OSU or Notre Dame are in their process, but I just spoke with a second professor at UNLV, and it sounds like they were ranking potential students last week.

On 2/19/2019 at 12:25 PM, magnetite said:

Anyone know when UNLV usually sends out acceptances?

I just had a skype interview with a new professor who had seen my application during the review process and wanted to pitch a project to me if it doesn't work out with my original POI there. It sounds like they were still ranking potential students as of last week. Haven't heard anything since.

34 minutes ago, gutbuckethero said:

I just had a skype interview with a new professor who had seen my application during the review process and wanted to pitch a project to me if it doesn't work out with my original POI there. It sounds like they were still ranking potential students as of last week. Haven't heard anything since.

Ah, hey. Thanks for the update about UNLV. I emailed them last week about my status and got a response that I'm currently waitlisted. They said they made a few offers, that there were a lot of excellent applications, and only a "very limited number" of spots available. 

On 2/28/2019 at 9:34 AM, Unconsolidated_Regolith said:

I got an acceptance from CWU yesterday, though I haven't posted it on the results page yet.  I think that was their initial wave of acceptances.  85% of tuition was offered in the funding package plus $8100 stipend as TA. They stated that faculty would be reaching out to the individuals that they're paired with soon.  Shoot me a DM if you want to talk specifics about your POI, or if you want more info.

I also got accepted at Central. I was the one who posted about being on a waitlist to be a TA but I finally got offered a position. I’m also available to chat if anyone wants to. 

Soooooooo it's March 16th and I still haven't heard anything from MIT. Which is odd, because (1) they said that they would get back by March 15th and (2) lots of people got rejected on the 14th. I almost certainly wouldn't enter their program if I got accepted, but I'd still like to know what's up... I'm applying for AOC and I think they specifically might have missed their deadlines by a ways.

It's actually really comforting to hear that Rutgers (Atmospheric Science) isn't the only school that hasn't sent out any decisions yet.  I've been told informally that I'll be accepted and they're trying to secure funding, but I don't think I'll really relax until I get the letter in the mail!

It seems like some schools are just running pretty late this year.  FWIW with Rutgers I've also called the university's graduate admissions office a couple of times in the last few weeks to see if my program has sent out any decisions at all yet, and they've confirmed that no one has heard.  It's been a good way to keep an eye on the status of things without bothering my POI/department. :)

Got the email yesterday that I've been accepted to Rutgers!!  They said to expect a notification from the graduate school in the next few days. 

It sounded like it just took them a while to get input from everyone on the admissions committee, so if you've applied there as well and haven't heard yet don't be too worried. :)

Best of luck to everyone else in this thread, given how close we're getting to April hopefully you'll hear in the next couple of weeks.

Finally heard back from MIT EAPS (in the atmos/oceans/climate program) - I was waitlisted. The e-mail mentioned that they accepted fewer people than usual from their top tier of applicants due to reduced federal funding for climate research. I got into the physics department there, however, so hopefully this is not necessarily the end of the road for me and EAPS...

Still waiting on one school, but my profile.

Undergrad: University of Colorado-Boulder

Degree:  BA in Geology with Honors

MSc School: Oklahoma State University

Degree:  MSc in Geology

GPAs (CU/OSU): 3.4/4.0 (big slacker in undergrad, don't waste those years people)

Type of student: Classic white male

GRE:

Q: 159 

V: 161

W: 5.5 or 6, can't recall exactly

Research Experience: Undergrad thesis, 1 year with USGS, 2 years MSc thesis work.  4 conference presentations (2 talks, 3 posters, I tend to like posters more). 1 paper in submission, 1 in-prep. Variety of side projects.

Additional Details:  Geology major but I've made the switch to Geophysics, which means I lack the formal math of most Geophysicists, but have better Geology knowledge than most Geophysicists.  Have since learned it, but my transcripts do not reflect that. 

Applying to Where (all PhD):

UCSB - Still waiting. But things sound positive...

U of Arizona - Contacted in Late Jan, visited last weekend, accepted this week

U of Alberta - Heard back and accepted in Jan, visited in late Feb (separate from their typical early March visit weekend)

Columbia - Rejected this week (same day as Arizona acceptance)

MIT/WHOI - Rejected.  Funding was an issue from my contact in the department.

Stanford - Rejected.  Totally fine with this one after meeting the POI in person.

My GRE is okay, but I'm wagering that the Ivy's and Ivy-like schools (e.g. Stanford) probably don't care about you if you're below 80th percentile in Quant (I was 72nd) just given the quality and quantity of their applicatio.  A bit jaded about Columbia to be honest, felt I had a good fit with their research, but such is life.  Alberta and Arizona have some awesome people, groups and departments, so deciding between them has been incredibly difficult.  I usually have a gut instinct to rely on, but not in this case. 

On 3/14/2019 at 4:27 PM, gutbuckethero said:

On 3/14/2019 at 5:05 PM, magnetite said:

Ah, hey. Thanks for the update about UNLV. I emailed them last week about my status and got a response that I'm currently waitlisted. They said they made a few offers, that there were a lot of excellent applications, and only a "very limited number" of spots available. 

Just made an account to say that I also applied to UNLV. After emailing both geoscience department graduate coordinators last week with no response, I emailed their front office today. They gave a very general response, saying applications are still being reviewed and that I'll be informed by faculty once they've made a decision. Seems to indicate I've been waitlisted as well. 

Also, not sure if anyone else has applied to CSU Fullerton but I got a response from their graduate coordinator today saying that due to a hectic semester they're still sorting through and reviewing applications. 

Finally received my first offer back from any of my schools. I was admitted into the MS Geology program at Northern Arizona University in Flagstaff with full funding. 

Applied:  Northern Arizona University, Western Washington,  Arizona State University

Rejected: 0/3  Waitlisted: 0/3  Accepted: 1/3  Attending: Northern Arizona University

Realized I never actually posted my things - here's for the next year's group at least

Undergrad Institution: Liberal arts college in upstate New York

Major(s): Geoscience; Planetary Science

Minor(s): Environmental Studies

GPA in Major: High 3.9s

Overall GPA: 3.91

Position in Class: N/A

Type of Student: International, white male

GRE Scores:

Q: 159

V: 156

W: 5.0

Research Experience: Undergraduate honors thesis focused on remote sensing, submitted the manuscript to a high ranked journal, poster presentation at GSA.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Bunch of school awards

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: NCAA Ice Hockey, Study Mentor job, started and ran our school's engineering club, several committees and such

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: Not really much applicable here I don't think

Applying to Where:

UPenn (PhD) - Earth and Environmental Science - Accepted, Officially agreed

U of Arizona (PhD) - Mining Engineering - Accepted

Colorado School of Mines (PhD) - Have not heard yet 

Cornell (PhD) - Geology - Did not get in

Stanford (PhD) - Geological Science - Did not get in

U of Michigan (PhD) - Geology - Waitlisted

U of Indiana (PhD) - Geology - Did not hear yet

Haven't seen any posts about School of Mines, does anyone have any insight?

Thanks,

• 2 weeks later...

Here’s my profile for future students! It’s April 15th and I finally have a plan haha  

Undergrad: A California State University 

Degree:  BS in Geology

GPA: 3.6

Type of student: Female, white, late 20s

GRE:

Q: 157 

V: 162

W: 4

Research Experience: I did field work for an undergrad thesis but never finished it.

Additional Details:  Started out as a dietetics major and then switched to vocal performance before finding geology. My grades were terrible at the beginning of my college career. I was in and out of school for seven years until my last 2 years which were fantastic. I was definitely a most improved kind of student. I actually had to retake an entire semesters worth of classes at one point. At the end of it all I received the outstanding senior award and a couple scholarships that I never applied to but was suggested for by my department. Right after graduating I got a competitive job working as a state parks interpretive ranger with an awesome geologic resource.

Applying to Where (all MS Geology):

Central Washington University: Accepted. Offered TA position. Will not be attending.

Western Washington University: Accepted. Offered TA position. Will be attending. 

This process was hell. The waiting, the waitlists for funding, the last minute decisions... but it was worth it. I could have applied to more schools but I knew I wanted to go somewhere with only a masters program and no PhD. If anyone wants to chat — DM me. 

On 3/22/2019 at 7:33 PM, chasebf said:

Still waiting on one school, but my profile.

Undergrad: University of Colorado-Boulder

Degree:  BA in Geology with Honors

MSc School: Oklahoma State University

Degree:  MSc in Geology

GPAs (CU/OSU): 3.4/4.0 (big slacker in undergrad, don't waste those years people)

Type of student: Classic white male

GRE:

Q: 159 

V: 161

W: 5.5 or 6, can't recall exactly

Research Experience: Undergrad thesis, 1 year with USGS, 2 years MSc thesis work.  4 conference presentations (2 talks, 3 posters, I tend to like posters more). 1 paper in submission, 1 in-prep. Variety of side projects.

Additional Details:  Geology major but I've made the switch to Geophysics, which means I lack the formal math of most Geophysicists, but have better Geology knowledge than most Geophysicists.  Have since learned it, but my transcripts do not reflect that. 

Applying to Where (all PhD):

UCSB - Still waiting. But things sound positive...

U of Arizona - Contacted in Late Jan, visited last weekend, accepted this week

U of Alberta - Heard back and accepted in Jan, visited in late Feb (separate from their typical early March visit weekend)

Columbia - Rejected this week (same day as Arizona acceptance)

MIT/WHOI - Rejected.  Funding was an issue from my contact in the department.

Stanford - Rejected.  Totally fine with this one after meeting the POI in person.

My GRE is okay, but I'm wagering that the Ivy's and Ivy-like schools (e.g. Stanford) probably don't care about you if you're below 80th percentile in Quant (I was 72nd) just given the quality and quantity of their applicatio.  A bit jaded about Columbia to be honest, felt I had a good fit with their research, but such is life.  Alberta and Arizona have some awesome people, groups and departments, so deciding between them has been incredibly difficult.  I usually have a gut instinct to rely on, but not in this case. 

Update on this.

Accepted Alberta, declined Arizona.  Hopefully I did decline Arizona quick enough they can pull somebody off the waitlist. 

Onward to Canada!