Harvard SEAS Fall 2019

shrek12

As I have not seen any posts dedicated to Harvard SEAS 2019 applicants, lemme start this post while waiting for 2019 to begin. I am applying to Materials Science (Engineering Track) from outside America. Want to hear from other Harvard SEAS 2019 applicants!

I am also applying to the Materials Science track! I had a Skype interview with a POI two days ago. He explained that all PIs submit a shortlist of candidates at the end of January, following which all the shortlisted candidates are reviewed by a central committee. We should be hearing back mid-February.

If you haven't heard from any faculty members re: interviews, I wouldn't stress out at this stage. How each faculty member decides on their shortlist is up to them; some choose to interview, and others make their decision based purely on the written application.

3 hours ago, eutectic_points said:

I am also applying to the Materials Science track! I had a Skype interview with a POI two days ago. He explained that all PIs submit a shortlist of candidates at the end of January, following which all the shortlisted candidates are reviewed by a central committee. We should be hearing back mid-February.

If you haven't heard from any faculty members re: interviews, I wouldn't stress out at this stage. How each faculty member decides on their shortlist is up to them; some choose to interview, and others make their decision based purely on the written application.

woww congratulations! i hope u will get the best outcome from ur interview! may I know which research group POI was it? was it biomaterials or semiconductors etc.?

Edited by shrek12

8 hours ago, shrek12 said:

woww congratulations! i hope u will get the best outcome from ur interview! may I know which research group POI was it? was it biomaterials or semiconductors etc.?

My POI works on soft materials. All the best with your application too! 

39 minutes ago, eutectic_points said:

My POI works on soft materials. All the best with your application too! 

9 minutes ago, Macuto said:

this is true I have a few friends at SEAS and some never got any formal interview, but they did get in.

Thank youu!! all the best everyone!

On 1/8/2019 at 7:16 AM, eutectic_points said:

Thanks for sharing this. It is really helpful to know :)

Applied to Materials Science and mechanical engineering track.

Has anyone received any interview calls in this track? If previous years are any indication it should be happening around this time.

I also applied to the Materials Science and Mechanical Engineering program.  I'm a bit wary because it isn't a pure materials science program, but there are several interesting labs at Harvard, and it's a great school.

From doing a little digging in last year's results section, it looks like the vast majority of decisions for Materials Science were made on Feb 9th.  So, we should know by the second week of February.

I applied to the Applied Physics track with interests listed in biophysics, materials science, and fluids (not an official category). No interviews no nothing so far; it's one of my top choices but I am feeling pretty pessimistic at this point. I wish I had realized that the program was so PI oriented; I treated it like a physics application and I think that will get me rejected.

On 1/14/2019 at 2:48 AM, douerwan said:

Also applying for mechanical engineering.....  Solid Mechanics/biomechanics track. Heard from nothing yet..

I am sending some follow-up emails after application to the POIs, didn't do it before, however, since there was no time at all...

hi douerwan, Did you send any follow-up email ? any response from them? going by previous years' data, interview calls should have been sent by now. I see my chances diminishing every day. 

On 1/10/2019 at 8:08 AM, amangg23 said:

Applied to Materials Science and mechanical engineering track.

Has anyone received any interview calls in this track? If previous years are any indication it should be happening around this time.

I have not heard anything yet.

On 1/8/2019 at 10:16 PM, eutectic_points said:

But from result posts, I think there are two other persons had interview request via emails.

On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 8:04 AM, amangg23 said:

hi douerwan, Did you send any follow-up email ? any response from them? going by previous years' data, interview calls should have been sent by now. I see my chances diminishing every day. 

Nothing really...

On 1/13/2019 at 4:18 PM, douerwan said:

Also applying for mechanical engineering.....  Solid Mechanics/biomechanics track. Heard from nothing yet..

I am sending some follow-up emails after application to the POIs, didn't do it before, however, since there was no time at all...

Don't forget that some faculty members make their decision without conducting any interviews at all. It could simply be a case that all the faculty members for whom you are a good 'fit' just customarily don't interview! I don't think any acceptance letters have come out yet, so don't lose hope :)

15 hours ago, eutectic_points said:

Don't forget that some faculty members make their decision without conducting any interviews at all. It could simply be a case that all the faculty members for whom you are a good 'fit' just customarily don't interview! I don't think any acceptance letters have come out yet, so don't lose hope :)

Sweet post. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, amangg23 said:

Any updates anyone? 

It has been a long time and at this moment I am assuming a rejection. 

don't assume that. A lot of people have stated they've gotten in without interviews before. I haven't gotten an interview. I'm waiting till mid Feb when it seems they send out acceptances and rejections to assume anything.

35 minutes ago, dontor said:

don't assume that. A lot of people have stated they've gotten in without interviews before. I haven't gotten an interview. I'm waiting till mid Feb when it seems they send out acceptances and rejections to assume anything.

Yeah. I have read about students receiving admits without interviews. I just find it odd that no one has posted about mechanical engineering at harvard this year. Which is the only reason I think I may have tiny chance. If there was anyone else in the same boat, I would have felt a lot more comfortable. 

Also, I understand from a thread of 2017 that one of my choice of PIs conducted interview that year which does not help my situation at all.

Which field have you applied to?

Just now, dontor said:

anyone here apply to harvard seas bioengineering? does anyone know any information about that program?

I have not applied to it but I did see plenty of interview calls being sent out a week back on the results page. 

30 minutes ago, amangg23 said:

I have not applied to it but I did see plenty of interview calls being sent out a week back on the results page. 

thanks for letting me know. i'm afraid i've made a big mistake not contacting poi's before applying to places. i know normally they don't respond so i didn't. hopefully i'll hear soon...

5 minutes ago, dontor said:

thanks for letting me know. i'm afraid i've made a big mistake not contacting poi's before applying to places. i know normally they don't respond so i didn't. hopefully i'll hear soon...

I don't think it matters too much. In my opinion, it can only affect an applicant's chances if they have discussed in person or the professor shows a strong interest in a profile. I contacted one of the PI and he did not respond back. In any case, they go through all the applications.

Mid-feb shall be decision time I guess.