Interviews/Acceptances/Rejections Fall 2019

sociopolitic

2 hours ago, thedudeabides said:

Congratulations!!

I’m another hopeful for Rutgers, really keeping my fingers crossed!

Got dinged by 6 schools during the last cycle, so I’ve applied to 9 this year, and really hoping that it works out. 

Long time lurker, first-time poster. The anxiety is killing me!

I really wish you the best. You will do it this time! Have you heard from any school yet?

2 hours ago, socchi92 said:

Same! It's actually been great for my inbox. 

We have severe weather where I’m located so literally every organization I’m affiliated with sent out an email being like “lol meeting canceled this week” and I was like STOP EMAILING ME

7 hours ago, Sercan_ said:

I really wish you the best. You will do it this time! Have you heard from any school yet?

Thank you! Just Rutgers - where I've been interviewed as well. 

Probably been rejected by USC, UCSB and Arizona since I haven't heard from any of them yet. 

Waiting on UCSD, RPI (STS), Cornell (STS), UW-Milwaukee, BU. 

I'm going crazy here, especially because I keep getting generic recruitment emails from grad departments I didn't apply to.

I'm guessing I probably didn't get into USC or Minnesota as I haven't heard anything yet :/ My only consolation is that it's like -40 in Minnesota right now.

Hello again, congrats to everyone who has been accepted to some of their schools :) Nice to have some movement in this community.

Got accepted at University of Arizona (great department fit) and University of Iowa. My gpa is not great (3.2), so if you find this wondering if you will be able to go to grad school, don't sell yourself short. Strengthen your application elsewhere (experience, writing, LORs) and give it a go. You never know.

Still waiting on CUNY (to above poster, I haven't heard anything) and Northwestern.

Good luck everyone! 

35 minutes ago, socquant said:

Hello again, congrats to everyone who has been accepted to some of their schools :) Nice to have some movement in this community.

Got accepted at University of Arizona (great department fit) and University of Iowa. My gpa is not great (3.2), so if you find this wondering if you will be able to go to grad school, don't sell yourself short. Strengthen your application elsewhere (experience, writing, LORs) and give it a go. You never know.

Still waiting on CUNY (to above poster, I haven't heard anything) and Northwestern.

Good luck everyone! 

I got into the University of Iowa as well! What are you hoping to study and are you going to be attending the visit day? What is your top choice? Also, I agree with this sentiment, I have a good GPA (3.77) but a horrible GRE score, so yes don't sell yourself short! But congrats on your acceptances! I'm sure you'll get into more. 

46 minutes ago, beautifuladrenaline said:

I got into the University of Iowa as well! What are you hoping to study and are you going to be attending the visit day? What is your top choice? Also, I agree with this sentiment, I have a good GPA (3.77) but a horrible GRE score, so yes don't sell yourself short! But congrats on your acceptances! I'm sure you'll get into more. 

Hi there :) Congrats, sincerely. I did an internship there and they have  a great and supportive department. I go to school in Iowa (Grinnell!) so I will definitely be at the visit day. My top choice is Northwestern given its  resources for quantitative sociologists, but I am very open to all of the choices I have and do not believe it will be an easy one to make, especially because Iowa is offering fellowships and things. I look forward to seeing you there and good luck with the rest of the cycle! Where else are you considering?

16 minutes ago, baozi said:

Has anyone gotten funding specifics from UT Austin yet? It is one of my top choices, so I’m anxious to see whether I can make it work.

Nope, I haven't heard anything about funding yet either! On the financial aid tab of the status portal it says check back in 2 weeks? Not sure if that's related to funding or they're just processing my FAFSA?? I wonder when we'll hear

19 minutes ago, baozi said:

Has anyone gotten funding specifics from UT Austin yet? It is one of my top choices, so I’m anxious to see whether I can make it work.

No. After poking around on the MyStatus site, I saw it says "Check back in two weeks" under the financial aid tab. The letters attached to the admission letter don't mention funding. 

Edit: also a professor I spoke with there last year told me funding is not great. PhDStipends.com has a few entries that seem okay. 

Edited by socchi92

4 minutes ago, sociopolitic said:

Has anyone received funding specifics from UCLA? They gave me an outline when I was admitted and said details would follow but I haven't heard anything more. 

Nope! The only school I've gotten detailed funding information for is University of Washington.

9 minutes ago, socchi92 said:

No. After poking around on the MyStatus site, I saw it says "Check back in two weeks" under the financial aid tab. The letters attached to the admission letter don't mention funding. 

Edit: also a professor I spoke with there last year told me funding is not great. PhDStipends.com has a few entries that seem okay. 

I guess we are all in the same boat then. I just want to know haha.

I checked PhDStipends.com to get an idea before I applied. It looks do-able, but tight which is why I am anxious about getting the real numbers. Hopefully it stays in the do-able range! I have a phone call arranged with a POI there. I’ll let you guys know if I get any more specifics about funding timelines!

1 minute ago, Docsoc said:

long time lurker here. curious, do the schools sponsor you to come for visit day? Got into Berkeley and I'm curious if students typically but their own flights

Not sure if it depends on school. One school offered mention of a stipend for transport/etc. I assume that’s typical but not sure.